Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne is a player with some upsides. And I think a loan for this type of player would be useful. We do have 4 first round picks next season, so a player to fill in until we hopefully pick an AM in next years draft for depth sounds good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelly gets so much flack on these boards for his tactics/lack thereof, but I've been rather pleased with him for a variety of reasons.

1. His connections bring us good talent (for the most part).
    2. I think he is a good judge of ability compared to our previous managers. (He's given Osorio and Henry room to grow, and Bloom has been looking like a great replacement over Ecks)
    3. He seems like a true players manager. The guys want to play for him and win with him.

I want to see him stick around for at least 3 years.. something that's never happened for any manager of this team. Even if the results aren't as predicted this year.. I want to see him back next year. We're still very much a work in progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't be my priority to sign this guy. Ball winners in midfield and a CB we feel comfortable adding to the rotation. There is no experienced cover back there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiki says he often plays DM for the national team. I imagine that's why he's getting a look with us. With Osario, Bradely, De-ro and Bekker, i can't believe we're looking for AM depth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Wiki says he often plays DM for the national team. I imagine that's why he's getting a look with us. With Osario, Bradely, De-ro and Bekker, i can't believe we're looking for AM depth.
    Could be a guy who could provide cover during the time some are away for the World Cup.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Nelly gets so much flack on these boards for his tactics/lack thereof, but I've been rather pleased with him for a variety of reasons.

1. His connections bring us good talent (for the most part).
    2. I think he is a good judge of ability compared to our previous managers. (He's given Osorio and Henry room to grow, and Bloom has been looking like a great replacement over Ecks)
    3. He seems like a true players manager. The guys want to play for him and win with him.

I want to see him stick around for at least 3 years.. something that's never happened for any manager of this team. Even if the results aren't as predicted this year.. I want to see him back next year. We're still very much a work in progress.
    You are right, he has a nice upside. I guess if he were the complete tactical package he probably wouldn't be here.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a very good point Phil. It is no surprise that MLS is full of young managers. Lots of guys with good football brains but they need to prove themselves first.

In the same sense that we can't Lionel Messi in his prime, we shouldn't expect to get a Pep Guardiola either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a short chat about Payne. Supposedly a good strong holding midfielder, good technically and good in the tackle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we do sign him...I would like to see MB play more of the attacking mid,like he did weds v mexico,he was great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if we do sign him...I would like to see MB play more of the attacking mid,like he did weds v mexico,he was great.
    I'm gonna assume that's the plan.
    Shifting more towards a diamond 4-1-2-1-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes me wonder how much of a concern Osorio's injury is. (Looking at Payne). Either way, the more depth the better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder whats up with O'Rourke. Woulda been nice to have him for both games too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm gonna assume that's the plan.
    Shifting more towards a diamond 4-1-2-1-2

+1 that form would suit nicely if a healthy team…….with DeRo as a relief for the top 3 slots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully after this season there will be less jetseting searching for DPs and Nelsen can kunckle down and get a few coaching badges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Had a short chat about Payne. Supposedly a good strong holding midfielder, good technically and good in the tackle.
    He held his own against Mexico last year when playing for NZ, saw him live, a lot of upside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Wouldn't be my priority to sign this guy. Ball winners in midfield and a CB we feel comfortable adding to the rotation. There is no experienced cover back there.
    I wonder if TFC will look at David Edgar? I believe his contract is up this season and with Burnley looking like they will get promoted to the premiership, I don't see them resigning him. He would tick both of the boxes and could also be used as a right back if needed. I guess it would depend on his salary expectations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I wonder if TFC will look at David Edgar? I believe his contract is up this season and with Burnley looking like they will get promoted to the premiership, I don't see them resigning him. He would tick both of the boxes and could also be used as a right back if needed. I guess it would depend on his salary expectations.
    Hopefully we don't even think about it. Took a few years to get one $300K+ FB off the roster. Wouldn't make us look too smart in repeating the same level of cap mismanagement again. Bez isn't that stupid and Edgar won't come cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of talk about attacking mid-fielders vs holding mid-fielders re Payne. In my mind that is only relevant if you are playing with three central midfielders. 2 attacking mids with a holding mid if you want to press...1 attacking mid with 2 holding if you want a tight defense. Nelsen's standard 4-4-2... Requires two box to box midfielders that can do it all... Win the ball..tackle..harry..create..pass...score goals. We've got one in Bradley...but they are an ever rarer thing. in my mind again...Nelsen really needs to be flexible to adjust between these three set-ups depending on the opposition...and the staff available on any given day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My player shopping list for #TFC

1) Will Johnson - Portland
    2) Kekutah Manneh - Vancouver
    3) Russel Tiebert - Vancouver

All three of these would improve the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please no Jeremy Hall on the pitch today! He doesn't cover defensively and doesn't add any offence!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post

Any player can be traded for in MLS, it's just matter of how much are you willing to give up, and whether you have the cap space. All 3 of your targets are IMO out of reach at this moment for TFC, for one reason or another.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do wonder what we could realistically get if we were willing to move some of those round one picks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Any player can be traded for in MLS, it's just matter of how much are you willing to give up, and whether you have the cap space. All 3 of your targets are IMO out of reach at this moment for TFC, for one reason or another.
    With amount draft picks we have for next season, I could see looking to trade for a starter by trading a draft pick plus filler. Based on those three players, I think Tiebert easier to get than Manneh and Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

based on our poor success at the draft (other than a select few) id rather keep them all......also i'm not to keen on shuffling this roster too much since the "Gel" is still a work in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of talk about attacking mid-fielders vs holding mid-fielders re Payne. In my mind that is only relevant if you are playing with three central midfielders. 2 attacking mids with a holding mid if you want to press...1 attacking mid with 2 holding if you want a tight defense. Nelsen's standard 4-4-2... Requires two box to box midfielders that can do it all... Win the ball..tackle..harry..create..pass...score goals. We've got one in Bradley...but they are an ever rarer thing. in my mind again...Nelsen really needs to be flexible to adjust between these three set-ups depending on the opposition...and the staff available on any given day.
    Agree with all of this. However, when you sign 2 DP strikers you are going to see 2 DP strikers every time they are both available. I just don't see Nelsen choosing to leave one on the bench to play a 3 man midfield.

And if he does, it's a bad use of DP resources as you don't sign those players to sit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea to bring this to the thread. We need more speculation and player movement talk. People look at this team as too much of a final product when really we did some nice patchwork to the start 11, but the team still is in construction and needs additions. The good spirit and attention of the team will make getting depth players way easier, as opposed to convincing them to come to the %$%$ show from the last couple years.

I think that the Cap you mentioned are Robinson favourites and he will not be willing to deal them, although we seem to have good relations with them in regards to trades. If one of them just isnt carving out a legit spot as the year comes down to a close maybe one of them will be available.

Some guys I look at that might be available: Jack Jewsbury- Natural central midfielder who has been playing RB (where he is solid), but is still on starting MLS midfielder money.Portland as a young jamaican RB who is getting the start tonight. He would be more economical and brings the sort of athleticism down the wing that Porter wants, as opposed to Jewsbury who is more balanced and just solid. If Powell (the jamaican rb) proves he is capable I see them offloading Jewsbury.
    Could be a solid pickup, tho he comes steep" $185k salary in 2013... no wonder they might wana move him. Id take him on at under 150 and make them eat the extra chunk. He is the type of box to box guy that can fill in for bradley.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 2m Bezbatchenko on allocation order/Shea: "He could come back … 100% (we'd be interested). Brek Shea is dynamic/young, we'd definitely look."

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fun Fact about Brek Shea.

TFC could have drafted him in the 2008 Superdraft. But they traded that 1st round pick to FC Dallas for Richard Mulrooney who selected Shea at 2nd overall.

(Keep your picks)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our depth was impressive today against the crew. The only 3 players I'd like to see moved off the roster are Hall, Wieds and Boss. I don't think any of them offer anything positive. I would like to see one of them moved for a player who at least has some potential upside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think we could use one more good box to box player for depth. Kinda skeptical of bekker and hall and I think getting someone on loan that can be a 30 mins guy at the end of the game and can play ACC/CCL would be nice. Depth is always a good thing.