rise above imperialistic sentiments?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Here here

Ultimately, national boundaries are just lines drawn on a map by a bunch of white men ... unfortunately these lines really fuck up the lives of millions .. that aside, it's completely arbitrary and to me, nationalism is a bit of a joke.
    Um Toronto has boundaries drawn on maps. And I'm pretty sure all men of every variety have territorial disputes.

Back to trades, please and thank you.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armen Bedakian @ArmenBedakian · 16m

Junior and Jaineil Hoilett both training with Toronto FC. #TFC #MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Armen tweets:

"Nelsen on Jaineil Hoilett: 'Jaineil has been brilliant, his attitude is really good, so…you never know, you never know!' ”

"Nelsen hinted there that a signing could perhaps happen, also acknowledged that Hoilett's contract in Germany expired. A story to watch for."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Um Toronto has boundaries drawn on maps. And I'm pretty sure all men of every variety have territorial disputes.

Back to trades, please and thank you.
    .... and? The point was patriotism and nationalism are illogical.. but unfortunately, go beyond that in that they negatively affect the lives of millions, serving to exclude and means of rationalizing violence. This is especially poignant in the case of Canada, where boundaries have been drawn on top of existing nations and communities after their violent expulsion/subjugation. You can get angry at De Guzman's opportunism, but don't make it self-evident when it isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    More Armen tweets:

"Nelsen on Jaineil Hoilett: 'Jaineil has been brilliant, his attitude is really good, so…you never know, you never know!' ”

"Nelsen hinted there that a signing could perhaps happen, also acknowledged that Hoilett's contract in Germany expired. A story to watch for."

Would be nice to have both Hoilett brothers on the team! I wonder when in his career Junior might consider coming to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... and? The point was patriotism and nationalism are illogical.. but unfortunately, go beyond that in that they negatively affect the lives of millions, serving to exclude and means of rationalizing violence. This is especially poignant in the case of Canada, where boundaries have been drawn on top of existing nations and communities after their violent expulsion/subjugation. You can get angry at De Guzman's opportunism, but don't make it self-evident when it isn't.
    If the point was to rise above gutter politics of the past, then you shouldn't have gone all blame the white man. You can't really walk back on that and claim the high road.

ANYWAY...

Interesting stuff coming out of the TFC camp regarding Hoilett. I don't think the elder brother stays around, but man, that'd be a dream come true if he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    If the point was to rise above gutter politics of the past, then you shouldn't have gone all blame the white man. You can't really walk back on that and claim the high road.
    Are you mixing me up with someone else? I never made an argument to rise above 'gutter politics of the past', because I am suggesting modern day nationalism is one and the same with 'gutter politics of the past'. The idea isn't to 'white wash' and ignore that history, but to critically examine it and challenge the self-evident nature of such ideas. I will concede that my language can lend itself to suggestions of 'blaming the white man', but the idea isn't to 'blame' but to recognize historical realities which makes slinging vitriol at some guy who chooses to play for another national team all sound kinda silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually that's exactly that argument you appear to be making and then doubling down on. You just undercut the message badly with that other comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Actually that's exactly that argument you appear to be making and then doubling down on. You just undercut the message badly with that other comment.
    I am genuinely not following. Mind stating exactly what you mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its time for a fresh start in a new thread, so many things have been talked about but this getting a bit much. I'm all for part 2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think its time for a fresh start in a new thread, so many things have been talked about but this getting a bit much. I'm all for part 2.
    THIS RIGHT HERE.
    Nothing worse than clicking in here to see whats potentially new on the transfers front and people are going on about personal politics.
    PLEASE MODS!!!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've rolled my eyes every time I've checked this thread over the past 10 days.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Familiar Name, New Team: TFC Welcomes Hoilett Brothers
    (June 25, 2014)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...jaineil-hoilet

“[Jaineil’s] contract expired in Germany and he’s here with Junior and he’s training,” Nelsen said. “It’s good to have those kind of quality players amongst training, it just lifts it for everybody.”

So, could this out-of-contract, Canadian U-20 international suit up permanently for Toronto FC? On this matter, Nelsen didn’t reveal too much, but said, “Jaineil has been brilliant, his attitude is really good, so…you never know, you never know.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Familiar Name, New Team: TFC Welcomes Hoilett Brothers
    (June 25, 2014)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...jaineil-hoilet

I thought Jaineil played on the right wing?

Anyidea when his contract expires? I wonder if we'll end up seeing him on the bench against NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the comment section of that article it said that dylan carreiro was training with TFC as well, any other info on this? This is much more interesting to me as he has been released by QPR and would be free to rejoin TFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am genuinely not following. Mind stating exactly what you mean?
    How about sticking to trades. Politics go elsewhere.

And I don't see the point of starting a new thread just like this one. It'll be clean for all of page if we're lucky. Try to stay on topic and this thread won't be such a dogs breakfast.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall last month a pic of him training with Ottawa, so no huge surprise there.

Will be good for him to get playing time.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    How about sticking to trades. Politics go elsewhere.

And I don't see the point of starting a new thread just like this one. It'll be clean for all of page if we're lucky. Try to stay on topic and this thread won't be such a dogs breakfast.
    I am fine with that.

What type of player is Carreiro? AM right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am fine with that.

What type of player is Carreiro? AM right?
    Central I think, yeah. Here's his QPR bio, which the club hasn't taken down yet.

I'm really surprised they released him. He wasn't showing for his age perhaps, as he's a year older than Michael Petrasso and Petrasso has been performing at an elite level for QPR.

Dylan CARREIRO

Position: Midfielder
    DOB: 20/01/1995
    Born: Canada

CANADIAN playmaker Dylan Carreiro enjoyed an impressive debut season with Rangers after arriving from Toronto in July 2012, playing a central part for both club and country. The midfielder was a regular starter for the title-winning Under-18s, where his displays earned him an international call-up to the CONCACAF U20 Championships in February. Starring alongside R’s team-mate Michael Petrasso, Carreiro marked his return by extending his stay at Loftus Road for another year In May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see Carreiro could be back. He plays very AM IMO. But probably could be converted to a few other places. Very tidy on the ball.

Not freakishly athletic but no slouch either. I'd sign him and send him to the hammerheads. Would rate above current prospects with exception of Hamilton.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love it when people use big words, trying to rationalize that massive black hole inside us all, apparently to their chagrin...our emotions.....they control us all....and many a great deed was completed because of them as well as the reverse........thank god , without them lfe would be about as exciting as your 3 sentences . KISS ....an acronym of power.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    love it when people use big words, trying to rationalize that massive black hole inside us all, apparently to their chagrin...our emotions.....they control us all....and many a great deed was completed because of them as well as the reverse........thank god , without them lfe would be about as exciting as your 3 sentences . KISS ....an acronym of power.
    Trades please. No more invitations for additional sermons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there's talk of Jermaine Jones to MLS. 5 or 6 teams are currently in the running for him.

Therefore it would make sense to ask what is our allocation spot worth, especially considering a bidding war could ensue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    So there's talk of Jermaine Jones to MLS. 5 or 6 teams are currently in the running for him.

Therefore it would make sense to ask what is our allocation spot worth, especially considering a bidding war could ensue.
    I thought allocation ranking was only for players coming back into the MLS, Jermaine Jones has not played in the MLS before, and was also under the assumption that DPs work a little different too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be wrong but think it's any American nat no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS makes up the rules has they go...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Na, they're pretty clear on their allocation rules. Jones is expensive enough and probably well-known enough after this world cup for him to warrant a transfer to any team he wants (that's obviously not maxed out on DP's such as us) and become a DP. He would come through allocation if A) he used to play in the league and had the team he had played for received a transfer fee (see Mo Edu) and B) he would be seen as inexpensive enough for any team to take him on. The latter is why neither Dempsey or Bradley went through allocation, not every could afford them.

It's really not at all as complicated as people make it out to be. In this case Jones would have his pick of the litter.