Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 3275
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
    Not exactly nice words to hear the League One club's director say he's tipped for a great coaching career at the age of 20... what does that say about his ability?
    Perhaps that he has a good football mind? That's not a bad thing to have as a player.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan Hagen@PortuBall 1m Brazil goalie Júlio César is in Lisbon to finalize a deal with Benfica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see it posted, so I'll leave a mention... Earnshaw signed with Chicago Fire.

(Sorry if belongs in other thread)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    I don't see it posted, so I'll leave a mention... Earnshaw signed with Chicago Fire.

(Sorry if belongs in other thread)
    Goes in Former player thread. This be TFC thread. Cheers.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barca back up keeper Pinto coming to MLS.. cant think of a team that would need/want him right now

EDIT: Here's the tweet via MLS Transfers https://twitter.com/mlstransfers/status/501566220043567104
    Last edited by portu; 08-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he a free agent? Transfer window is closed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geoff Cameron is apparently asking to get out of Stoke. I imagine he wants to stay in Europe though... and he'd have to go through the allocation process if he were to come back to MLS. So never mind, I got nothing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Geoff Cameron is apparently asking to get out of Stoke. I imagine he wants to stay in Europe though... and he'd have to go through the allocation process if he were to come back to MLS. So never mind, I got nothing.
    if Cameron meets the super special Yank DP threshold, he doesn't. But I don't think Cameron is big enough name.

he'd be awesome signing though. ball playing CBs don't come by very often
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Is he a free agent? Transfer window is closed...
    Ya, just had his contract run out at Barca after 6 years... So i guess he's the ex backup keeper.

Update: In New York so probably a NYCFC signing given the form of Robles
    Last edited by portu; 08-20-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does any relatively major signing happen with Tim L on the outs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was posted on a west ham forum by a member who breaks most transfers and news a few days before they are made official aka a very reliable source in English football.

"Re: The summer 2014 Transfer thread and wish list
    by THORSHAMMER on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:08 pm
    Defoe is unhappy with the toronto team

A couple teams in the prem are after him"

Has anyone heard anything in Toronto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    This was posted on a west ham forum by a member who breaks most transfers and news a few days before they are made official aka a very reliable source in English football.

No, but honestly, I wouldn't be against selling him... I love Defoe but I feel at this stage we would be better of improving 1-11. Gilberto is so fucking good, he can be the best striker in MLS. If we could sell Defoe for 8-10 million then we've done good imo. That's a lot of money of the books and we could sign another Gilberto-esque striker. I would want that money spread out though not just saved. With an extra 30 million you could add 3-4 legit players out of the Brazilian and Argentina league... Imagine getting another striker, another winger that can finish, a new right back and Laba? A 4th DP is possible, and the salary cap could go up quite a bit.
    Last edited by Defoe; 08-23-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I'd almost be surprised if Bradley and Defoe were here next year. Bradley could be taken by New York (if they have a DP slot and we leave him open) and Defoe I think is less unhappy with the team/league and more the press... though the Brazilians may not be his favourite, Jackson isn't really all that good, and Gilberto and he seems to have had a rocky start.

I'd like to keep them. the only DP i'd not be sad to see go is Bradley. He is good, but right now, our midfield has no identity, their is no consistency no plan. The back four know what to do. The strikers know what to do.

the Midfield gets the ball and flail about. Jackson runs around like it is dribble practice.. Oduro runs full out, beating the defenders.. but beats all of the support too, and he is left holding on the ball while the defenders catch up and support does too.

Bradley generally just hoofs the ball up field, (generally with some accuracy) Bekker just passes the ball to a defender, Warner is a DM not really a ball distributor. Good for the defence though, and Osorio is best as a AM, but can't really fill that role with Bradley in the Central Midfield role. So he is put on a edge where he is less effective. (He still needs to grow a bit)

we need to get that midfield sorted out, and then you will see a happier group of DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post

That is a pretty large claim, but definitely, for me, not out of the realm of possibility. I mean I like Defoe and his brilliant simplicity in getting the ball in the back of the net, but boy he doesn't hide his bad attitude. All game every game he is waving his hands around giving teammates mouthfuls. Every media scrum he is being short tempered with media and sarcastically rolling his eyes at them. He chews out everyone on the field who ever attempts at goal, waving to them how they should be getting him the ball. I do not think his "I am the show" attitude is conducive to success in this league.

Moreover, he openly is admitting he is playing injured and carrying knocks, which means we don't even get an 100% fit Defoe. I also think it is hard for players who play on good teams in leagues without parity to come to terms with losing a fair share of games, as well as most matches being competitive. How easy it is to lose to the teams at the bottom of the table and it not be a call for the coaches head. He cannot handle playing with players of a lesser calibre and it truly shows out there.

Gilberto is on fire and unless him and Defoe get some chemistry, I don't see why we need both. Gilberto, Moore & Dike is a respectable front line. If Defoe wants to go I say let him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    That is a pretty large claim, but definitely, for me, not out of the realm of possibility. I mean I like Defoe and his brilliant simplicity in getting the ball in the back of the net, but boy he doesn't hide his bad attitude. All game every game he is waving his hands around giving teammates mouthfuls. Every media scrum he is being short tempered with media and sarcastically rolling his eyes at them. He chews out everyone on the field who ever attempts at goal, waving to them how they should be getting him the ball. I do not think his "I am the show" attitude is conducive to success in this league.

Moreover, he openly is admitting he is playing injured and carrying knocks, which means we don't even get an 100% fit Defoe. I also think it is hard for players who play on good teams in leagues without parity to come to terms with losing a fair share of games, as well as most matches being competitive. How easy it is to lose to the teams at the bottom of the table and it not be a call for the coaches head. He cannot handle playing with players of a lesser calibre and it truly shows out there.

Gilberto is on fire and unless him and Defoe get some chemistry, I don't see why we need both. Gilberto, Moore & Dike is a respectable front line. If Defoe wants to go I say let him.
    The hand waving and gesturing is getting slightly annoying, not going to lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% agree. I think a transfer is more than ever a possibility now that TL is stepping aside. It wont be permanent this Winter(loan probably), but I can definitely envision one happening next year. Though it still does remain to be seen if an EPL club will pay him the dough. Perhaps if he made the England squad it would be more enticing for that to happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    100% agree. I think a transfer is more than ever a possibility now that TL is stepping aside. It wont be permanent this Winter(loan probably), but I can definitely envision one happening next year. Though it still does remain to be seen if an EPL club will pay him the dough. Perhaps if he made the England squad it would be more enticing for that to happen?
    He is on a big contract, more than an epl team would pay. No team would pay a large transfer fee for that contract. He would have to take a pay cut or MLSE would need to take a loss on the transfer fee they paid Tottenham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad someone has the balls to say it. Personally, I can live with his attitude as long as it doesn't cross the line into poisoning the overall atmosphere of the team. The price of that sort of talent is often a difficult personality unfortunately. If they can effectively ring-fence him and keep everyone else on point I think it can still work.

I would still say the future of this team has to be Bradley though and everything else that is done should build of that. Have a difficult time seeing how our three designated players fit together ATM. Link between the forwards and the midfield is often not optimal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys lets slow down here and remember that Defoe is the most talented player on this team with the best pedigree and he knows it so of course he's going to get pissed when Jackson decides to pull some stupid SKC shit. I mean wouldn't you?

Also he's on just over 3 million pound so it's not as if he is on astronomical wages.

I'd be disappointed to see him go for sure but I'd hope that we'd get at least 2 seasons out of him.

Edit: And I don't blame him with the media some questions (goltv guy, forget his name) are incredibly stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Guys lets slow down here and remember that Defoe is the most talented player on this team with the best pedigree and he knows it so of course he's going to get pissed when Jackson decides to pull some stupid SKC shit. I mean wouldn't you?

Also he's on just over 3 million pound so it's not as if he is on astronomical wages.

I'd be disappointed to see him go for sure but I'd hope that we'd get at least 2 seasons out of him.

Edit: And I don't blame him with the media some questions (goltv guy, forget his name) are incredibly stupid.
    Without a question, Lee Godfrey is a hack, but still. Every other player takes his verbal puke and are still pleasant about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    No, but honestly, I wouldn't be against selling him... I love Defoe but I feel at this stage we would be better of improving 1-11. Gilberto is so fucking good, he can be the best striker in MLS. If we could sell Defoe for 8-10 million then we've done good imo. That's a lot of money of the books and we could sign another Gilberto-esque striker. I would want that money spread out though not just saved. With an extra 30 million you could add 3-4 legit players out of the Brazilian and Argentina league... Imagine getting another striker, another winger that can finish, a new right back and Laba? A 4th DP is possible, and the salary cap could go up quite a bit.

No you couldn't add 3-4 legit players.

That's the whole point of the salary cap... only 3 DP's can have the big money spending, everyone else can only make $350,000 MAX

And the whole team can only make $3,000,000 including the 3 DP's which count as $350,000 each against the salary cap.

So basically you only have $2,000,000 to spend on 20 payers. That's only $100,000 each player.

What you're asking is not even remotely possible.
    Last edited by Alonso; 08-23-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

That's the whole point of the salary cap... only 3 DP's can have the big money spending, everyone else can only make $350,000 MAX

And the whole team can only make $3,000,000 including the 3 DP's which count as $350,000 each against the salary cap.

So basically you only have $2,000,000 to spend on 20 payers. That's only $100,000 each player.

Not even remotely possible? Defoe leaving in this hypothetical opens up a spot (1), then there is a potential for a 4th DP which has been reported and rumored as a serious possibility by many credible members of the media (2) The $350,000 MAX contract is irrelevant as neither you nor I know what the next CBA will dictate. It's not out of the possibility you could get a Laba signed to a contract in a non-designated player deal in the new CBA (3) So how unrealistic is it? Juhnio (Galaxy) by my standards is a player who is a good talent, and at 325,000 is affordable and LA has accommodated him a good salary in a non DP contract. Building a team like building a good business is smartly run by finding low cost efficient employees that offer high value. We're entering an era in MLS where teams will be able to accommodate good players with good salaries without having to give out designated player contracts. Diego Valeri for example; had he been signed next year wouldn't even require a DP contract. He will get a raise on his 400,000 next year, but the teams that can find the Valeri’s of the league will be in the best shape. In the new era we're going to see teams find way to target these type of players and get them signed more often.
    Last edited by Defoe; 08-24-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^simple math^^^ i like but many "if's"......but i still like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Not even remotely possible? Defoe leaving in this hypothetical opens up a spot (1), then there is a potential for a 4th DP which has been reported and rumored as a serious possibility by many credible members of the media (2) The $350,000 MAX contract is irrelevant as neither you nor I know what the next CBA will dictate. It's not out of the possibility you could get a Laba signed to a contract in a non-designated player deal in the new CBA (3) So how unrealistic is it? Juhnio (Galaxy) by my standards is a player who is a good talent, and at 325,000 is affordable and LA has accommodated him a good salary in a non DP contract. Building a team like building a good business is smartly run by finding low cost efficient employees that offer high value. We're entering an era in MLS where teams will be able to accommodate good players with good salaries without having to give out designated player contracts. Diego Valeri for example; had he been signed next year wouldn't even require a DP contract. He will get a raise on his 400,000 next year, but the teams that can find the Valeri’s of the league will be in the best shape. In the new era we're going to see teams find way to target these type of players and get them signed more often.

Ok, if we are talking about future unknown rules, then anything is possible.

I am talking about the rules that are in place now.

3 Dp's, $350,000 MAX salary for any player, and $3,000,000 salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gate7 View Post
    ^^^simple math^^^ i like but many "if's"......but i still like
    If it goes up 50 percent (which is on the low side , I heard it could potentially double) the MAX contract should in theory raise 50 percent to 525 k... Would Laba sign for 525 k? Also is Laba on loan or was he traded away?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba was essentially loaned with an option to buy. If Vancouver ante's up, they keep him. If not, then we can get him back. He is a big question mark at this point, but I think he will be staying in Van.

I really hope that we get a cap increase. And also throw in a minimum salary cap as well to force the lower teams into putting out a stronger side as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm glad someone has the balls to say it. Personally, I can live with his attitude as long as it doesn't cross the line into poisoning the overall atmosphere of the team. The price of that sort of talent is often a difficult personality unfortunately. If they can effectively ring-fence him and keep everyone else on point I think it can still work.

I would still say the future of this team has to be Bradley though and everything else that is done should build of that. Have a difficult time seeing how our three designated players fit together ATM. Link between the forwards and the midfield is often not optimal.
    Our forward depth is ridiculous and not sustainable. Defoe has proven to be an excellent finisher in MLS and worth the money in that sense, but he's already had two somewhat serious multi-week injuries and has a history of this. So what about what he's 33-34, less effective and injured even more often? I would sell him to make way for a DP CAM...just look at Pedro Morales who I believe was under $2 million and shreds MLS for fun. Unfortunately CAM does not fit into Nelsen's vision though. Gilberto and Moore have quickly developed a good relationship on the field. Gilberto-Moore-Dike-(Hamilton, Weideman) is still above average forward depth in MLS. But I do like Defoe it's not like I have an issue with him staying, unless it somehow causes Gilberto's exit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

This is exactly why I hate the logistics of this league.

After this Jermaine Jones shitshow I'm just TFC all the way even more so. I don't want another team picking up a better player despite what it might do for "the league". MLS needs to sort its shit out for me to support it but from now on the only thing I support is my club.

The CBA needs to accommodate for the fact that this is a global game and using blind draws, allocation orders, discovery, DPs. etcetera doesn't attract fans; it pushes them away. I don't mind the salary cap but it needs to increase to like $9m with a minimum of something around $4.5m so that ambitious, and smart, teams don't get fucked over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest its very hard to get behind any MLSE teams when the management gets rid of one of the best Presidents we've ever had; goes to show you our management could care less about results and more about the $$$;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    To be honest its very hard to get behind any MLSE teams when the management gets rid of one of the best Presidents we've ever had; goes to show you our management could care less about results and more about the $$$;
    except that's not what happened.