View Poll Results: So how many points will TFC gain in 2014?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • 61 Points or more

5 3.70%
  • 56 - 60 Points

13 9.63%
  • 51 - 55 Points

34 25.19%
  • 46 - 50 Points

41 30.37%
  • 41 - 45 Points

19 14.07%
  • 36 - 40 Points

12 8.89%
  • 31 - 35 Points

5 3.70%
  • 26 - 30 Points

2 1.48%
  • 25 Points or less

4 2.96%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    That's what I originally thought as well, but then I watched the preseason games and the absolute mess that was our backline. We let in goals in all but one of the games and we still had problems scoring, even with Gilberto on the field. I don't think Defoe will be as good as everyone says, at least in his first season in MLS. Sure TFC has a little more quality, but the same issues that bit us last year are still there in this iteration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    In the few preseason games I saw from other teams, I saw defences in shambles as well. I'm not sure we can take that as what we should expect of this team. If it is, we aren't the only one in trouble there.
    This isn't the EPL*. Reality is the MLS is a league where any team can beat another on any given night. Worst team can hand the first place team a spanking and no one would bat an eyelash to it. Parity is still there to a strong degree.

I don't think this team is solid, but they are not the worst either.
    With the lineup they have, I don't see why they couldn't finish middle of the table this year.

Going back to the 2010 Red Bulls example. Even though Henry only scored a hand full of goals his first year, NY still managed to make up 30pts from the previous season.

*(I use the EPL as an example, but you can swap in any other major world league)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point about this being a parity league. The bookies must hate handicapping MLS games. I guess that's why they follow the CSL.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good point about this being a parity league. The bookies must hate handicapping MLS games. I guess that's why they follow the CSL.
    But this is TFC...and they are more than capable of finishing dead last. So I wouldn't bat an eyelash if that happened as well lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when we beat the eventual MLS champs Sporting KC early last season? Yeah anything can happen.

I think the addition of Orr/Bloom will solve most of our back-line problem. Hopefully Morrow will settle in. Biggest worry is if Caldwell misses time. With Boss/Hagglund/Richter and primary backups..eeep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I do know is that I am excited to get to some games... I think that the organization has provided us with a roster that is very worthy of fan attendance and something to not only look forward to but be proud about. As we have Bradley, Derosario back, and a surprise hit in Defoe.. plus Julio Caesar. I think we are being treated this year to a "show boat" team. How far that boat will actually go is up in the air but that is part of the fun in the excitement and seeing and hoping for some results. We can't be too harsh on the team yet we do need to elevate the standards in the club because with a roster such as this it is imperative that we get work done. In any event, and the moral to the story is congrats to TorontoFC for providing us with what should be a pretty sick season!
    Last edited by pawlukj; 03-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, we're 1/4 of the way into the season and at it's current PPG TFC will end up with 51 points at the end of the season, which is about the average everyone expected at the beginning of the season. Nice to see our collective gut-feeling seems to be on track this year. But will that be enough to get into the playoffs this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, we're 1/4 of the way into the season and at it's current PPG TFC will end up with 51 points at the end of the season, which is about the average everyone expected at the beginning of the season. Nice to see our collective gut-feeling seems to be on track this year. But will that be enough to get into the playoffs this year?
    It's too hard to determine this early the magic number we should be aiming for. However no one has been running away with it this season and there's teams in positions that I don't think will still be there in 3-4 months.

I think we're in a perfect spot. Lots of games in hand and have done well to begin the season. And having multiple road wins is a plus.

We're looking good. But we have to get wins while Bradley is away an bank points against teams that are had off because of the WC like SKC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting.

If 51 is the number, it would likely give Nelsen Coach of the Year honours for a 22 point turn around. One of the largest single season improvements in MLS history.

If people really believe in 51 points, why is there a "Is Nelsen the right man for the job" thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Interesting.

If 51 is the number, it would likely give Nelsen Coach of the Year honours for a 22 point turn around. One of the largest single season improvements in MLS history.

If people really believe in 51 points, why is there a "Is Nelsen the right man for the job" thread?
    Very good question. That thread is running in isolation to our actual results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

Because no matter what people don't believe in him as a coach. Some have good views and concerns and some just don't believe he's a coach at all.

If were on pace for this at the half way mark of the season I don't see how anyone could argue that he doesn't deserve to keep his job. On pace for the single largest turn around in leauge history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

Three game losing streak will do that, when you don't win a Regular season game in a 6 week stretch it's hard on peoples reactions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

TFC was what 3rd last in points last year and then spent the most in the summer in MLS history? it should be one of the largest single season improvements in MLS history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, we're now at the halfway point and TFC is on track to end up with 52 points. It's just about identical to the pace through the first quarter of the season. Assuming we don't have a terrible drop in form in July/August, I think playoffs are doable. Nelson probably won't be up for coach of the year though, since Olsen has made an even bigger turnaround at DCU.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We're currently sitting on 26 points with a record of 7 - 5 - 5. Not too shabby, and especially good compared to previous seasons. Playoffs are very doable.

Also, we're still only at 17 games played while most other clubs in the league are 19, 20, and 21.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing the difference a quarter-season makes, isn't it? Next year, I think I'll shut up and not speculate about a July and August loss of form. I recommend everyone take a look back at the first page and look at the prediction posts. It's quite entertaining.

At their current pace, TFC should end up with 43 points at the end of the season. Is that enough for a playoff spot? Who knows. Still they're doing better than I predicted at the start of the season, when I expected 38 points.
    Last edited by Initial B; 09-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking we'd probably end up around 35 after these past few matches but after realistically looking at the schedule, I will say 41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

44 points minimum for me.
    Wins against Chivas, Houston, Montreal at home and draws with Chicago and Portland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From 8 months ago.

I think it's going to be a rocky start, say 3-5-3 leading up to the World Cup break. I'm sure injuries are going to expose our lack of depth, even as they start to gel. I figure that they'll go 7-11-5 the rest of the way. Unfortunately, that's only 38 points. Before preseason, I was thinking that TFC might be lucky to get 50 points, but even now I see that was optimistic.

Sorry big Tim, there will be no playoffs this year. Better figure out what you guaranteed if TFC didn't make the playoffs (I'm hoping refunds of some sort).

You guys saw their defense. I assumed that we would be as good or better than last year and that would net us points along with more goals scored. But now I see that we have no depth beyond the line of Orr - Caldwell - Henry - Morrow. Once one of them goes down, opposing teams will exploit that weakness in our backline for goals. Assuming that Defoe and Gilberto will struggle, we'll only post a 9 point improvement over last year. It's too bad, I really had high hopes for this year. We'd better brace ourselves for more disappointment. Hopefully everything will come together in 2015.
    TFC ends the season with 41 points. A little better than I thought they'd do originally, so I'm willing to say they were successful. However, there are a lot of disappointed fans this year as expectations were higher based on hype. I hope next year whoever is the coach will have all the pieces in place and healthy for the start of the season. I won't even begin to guess what will happen in the off season. I'll just wait around until March and see if there's any hope for 2015.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I was thinking we'd probably end up around 35 after these past few matches but after realistically looking at the schedule, I will say 41.
    I predicted every fixture result correctly except I had us drawing Portland and beating Montreal. I knew there was no hope with Vanney on game #1 of his tenure and he did nothing to show me otherwise. He stays next year andvI am calling for 38 points and a new manager by June 30th.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    41-45 pts.

They will Toronto Blue Jays this season and fuck it right up.
    What do i win?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, well done guys. I thought we would squeak into playoffs with 46-50 pts.

Oh well, can't get them all.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do i win?
    Bragging rights for next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do i win?
    The wrath of everyone blaming you for the hex. =P

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    The wrath of everyone blaming you for the hex. =P
    I'll take this prize.

The "bragging rights" prize just doesn't seem right.