View Poll Results: So how many points will TFC gain in 2014?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • 61 Points or more

5 3.70%
  • 56 - 60 Points

13 9.63%
  • 51 - 55 Points

34 25.19%
  • 46 - 50 Points

41 30.37%
  • 41 - 45 Points

19 14.07%
  • 36 - 40 Points

12 8.89%
  • 31 - 35 Points

5 3.70%
  • 26 - 30 Points

2 1.48%
  • 25 Points or less

4 2.96%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How many points for TFC in 2014?

Okay, pre-season is done and now all that's left is speculation. After comparing the rest of the league, how many points do you think TFC will end up with by the end of the season? I think it's going to be a rocky start, say 3-5-3 leading up to the World Cup break. I'm sure injuries are going to expose our lack of depth, even as they start to gel. I figure that they'll go 7-11-5 the rest of the way. Unfortunately, that's only 38 points. Before preseason, I was thinking that TFC might be lucky to get 50 points, but even now I see that was optimistic.

Sorry big Tim, there will be no playoffs this year. Better figure out what you guaranteed if TFC didn't make the playoffs (I'm hoping refunds of some sort).

For comparison, here's last year's thread: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...or-TFC-in-2013

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'd have been better if you put up a poll
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll posted.

You guys saw their defense. I assumed that we would be as good or better than last year and that would net us points along with more goals scored. But now I see that we have no depth beyond the line of Orr - Caldwell - Henry - Morrow. Once one of them goes down, opposing teams will exploit that weakness in our backline for goals. Assuming that Defoe and Gilberto will struggle, we'll only post a 9 point improvement over last year. It's too bad, I really had high hopes for this year. We'd better brace ourselves for more disappointment. Hopefully everything will come together in 2015.
    Last edited by Initial B; 03-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Assuming that Defoe and Gilberto will struggle, we'll only post a 9 point improvement over last year. It's too bad, I really had high hopes for this year. We'd better brace ourselves for more disappointment. Hopefully everything will come together in 2015.
    Ladies and gentlemen, 7 years of Toronto FC.

I voted 51-55 points. Got it right last year, going for 2 in a row.
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-01-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be stickied and the edit button should be removed so that nobody can change their prediction and that everyone is held accountable. If you say TFC stinks, but are rocking throughout the whole year, dont come back and say you knew it all along. You're locked in.

New York 1st in the East this season.
    Toronto 4th (maybe 3rd)

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go with 41 to 45 points. We'll probably be behind New York and Kansas City in the East at the end of the regular season.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I'm gonna go with 41 to 45 points. We'll probably be behind New York and Kansas City in the East at the end of the regular season.
    As in New York and KC top 2 and us in 3rd? Under the current playoff qualification format the last time 45 points would have been enough to qualify in the East was 2010.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind you'll likely need about 50 pts to qualify for playoffs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51-55

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    51-55
    X2. Playoff bound!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to avoid my usual cautious approach to all this and say we are going to have a very very good fall run as certain teams fall apart and we get stronger.

56 points - 3rd position

I reserve the right to boast about this if it comes true, or complain about reality if it doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    As in New York and KC top 2 and us in 3rd? Under the current playoff qualification format the last time 45 points would have been enough to qualify in the East was 2010.
    No, more just that New York and KC will remain top dogs in the East for at least another season.

But yeah, you're right about how many points we'd probably need for playoffs. I'm thinking we're going to squeeze in, but yeah, we will need more like around 48-50 in the least. I'm being far too conservative here.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-01-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No playoffs I know we had no choice with Laba but this is a major loss. Depth is a problem and will be the downfall of this team in 2014, I think Nelson still is not ready to be a head coach and will be shown the door by June. They will do a bit better than last year in terms of points just for the fact that having Bradley and Defoe will help, Gilberto I'm not too sure about. I hope I'm wrong but I'm just not seeing enough there that will change my mind going into the regular season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I want them to end with more points I have no faith that injuries or something will still bite us in the ass. I think we will do better than the last couple years but not as good as TL is predicting with a playoff berth. Voted 36-40 points. I really really hope I am wrong and just being a pessimistic little shit. It would be lovely to see us near the top of the table at the end of the season for a change. Would rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best as they say. Now where the hell are my season tickets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Honestly, after the previous 7 years, I really can't fault anyone for being a little pessimistic. I think playoffs are gonna happen, but I don't think we'll get there by a wide margin or anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will all depend on after 18 May when Bradley and Defoe goes off the WC. Well, Defoe is a maybe but who knows. the depth... I don't know if TFC can grind out enough results in mid May-late June period

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, pre-season is done and now all that's left is speculation. After comparing the rest of the league, how many points do you think TFC will end up with by the end of the season? I think it's going to be a rocky start, say 3-5-3 leading up to the World Cup break. I'm sure injuries are going to expose our lack of depth, even as they start to gel. I figure that they'll go 7-11-5 the rest of the way. Unfortunately, that's only 38 points. Before preseason, I was thinking that TFC might be lucky to get 50 points, but even now I see that was optimistic.

Sorry big Tim, there will be no playoffs this year. Better figure out what you guaranteed if TFC didn't make the playoffs (I'm hoping refunds of some sort).

For comparison, here's last year's thread: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...or-TFC-in-2013

10 wins would be an improvement from last year but still a mediocre result. Defoe and Gilberto may struggle but I still believe Defoe will have a run of form and this might give them a few more wins if the team is able to create enough quality build ups and opportunities for him to finish. I think the capability was starting to develop at the end of last year and has been evident in pre-season even if the team is mostly at 90%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think we nab a playoff spot, but just barely. Think 2009 except instead of crapping the bed in that pivotal game, we actually win it. And that's assuming we don't have any major injury issues over the course of the season. I'm bracing myself for a slow start to the season, but improvement as the season goes on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    This should be stickied and the edit button should be removed so that nobody can change their prediction and that everyone is held accountable. If you say TFC stinks, but are rocking throughout the whole year, dont come back and say you knew it all along. You're locked in.

Toronto 4th (maybe 3rd)
    I thought I'd made the poll so that you couldn't edit the results. If you click on the numbers voted column, you can see who voted where. You can do the same thing on last year's poll as well. I wanted to make it so we could all see what we thought we'll end up when we look back in October. Personally, I would be ecstatic if we make the playoffs with 51+ points and 3rd place, but I voted with my head rather than my heart. Maybe the team will be lucky this year and not have injuries and do well - karma owes us at least that much after 7 seasons of misery.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thought out predictions until reaching the bolded text.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post

Toronto 4th (maybe 3rd)
    Yes, people can edit what they say but not how they voted so if there's funny business...

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

46-50. worried about injuries. all these "little nicks" we are picking up preseason doesn't put my mind at ease. I think our ceiling is higher than 46-50, but it will take time to gel and incorporate all our big signings into the squad. The start of our season is difficult (Seattle, rebuilt DC United, and Real Salt Lake) and we need results right away.

Also, if Bradley or Caldwell miss significant time we will suffer a lot. Midfield is all Bradley and back-line is all Caldwell (33 yrs, 34 in Sept)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    46-50. worried about injuries. all these "little nicks" we are picking up preseason doesn't put my mind at ease. I think our ceiling is higher than 46-50, but it will take time to gel and incorporate all our big signings into the squad. The start of our season is difficult (Seattle, rebuilt DC United, and Real Salt Lake) and we need results right away.

Also, if Bradley or Caldwell miss significant time we will suffer a lot. Midfield is all Bradley and back-line is all Caldwell (33 yrs, 34 in Sept)
    TFC need a to sign a younger Steven Caldwell (YSC). Someone who actual Steven Caldwell can groom as his replacement. That way if/when actual Caldwell goes down, YSC can step up and marshal the back line in his absence.

Same goes for Bradley. We need a non-international version of him - so that when he goes on International leave, the other guy can fill in. I always thought Laba would be that guy, but now...we have no one capable of filling that role.

After watching Bradley play this preseason, I get more and more worried that everything we do moving forward will be based around him. Without him, we have nothing!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it will all depend on after 18 May when Bradley and Defoe goes off the WC. Well, Defoe is a maybe but who knows. the depth... I don't know if TFC can grind out enough results in mid May-late June period
    this is great point...we lost strength and heart with Dike's injury and Laba's dumping (bitter, yup) , but I wonder how many of us remember our stars may go missing for a bit....too many of last years not ready for MLS players will be asked again, to overachieve . We need a strong mid core and alas I think it's suspect.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    TFC need a to sign a younger Steven Caldwell (YSC). Someone who actual Steven Caldwell can groom as his replacement. That way if/when actual Caldwell goes down, YSC can step up and marshal the back line in his absence.

Same goes for Bradley. We need a non-international version of him - so that when he goes on International leave, the other guy can fill in. I always thought Laba would be that guy, but now...we have no one capable of filling that role.

after watching Bradley play this preseason, I get more and more worried that everything we do moving forward will be based around him. Without him, we have nothing!
    call me crAzY but I give Henry that chance
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

I'm going with 49 pts and maybe we get in, maybe we don't. Can't get much more on the fence than that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    call me crAzY but I give Henry that chance
    he's too young

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

41-45 pts.

They will Toronto Blue Jays this season and fuck it right up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took 41-45 pts.

Not expecting Jays style bomb but expecting growing pains, problems during WC, and injuries. Probably get around 45 points possibly up to 49 if all went well. Regardless, this should be our best season yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked 46-50 because I see us getting 1 more point than the Impact's 49 last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked 41-45. 40-50 was my prediction before this.

*Squad depth is worrying as others have pointed out. I also worry that this will lead to overplaying certain players instead of resting them when needed (key part of avoiding injuries is proper squad rotation).
    *I don't have a lot of faith in Nelsen tactically, I don't have a lot of faith in him being able to outmaneuver the better managers in this league. Doesn't matter how good the players are if the manager is not.
    *I also think the early results will be bumpy due to the squad turnover and new players adapting to the league. I think PPG in the first few months are going to be off the playoff mark. I think post WC - probably July/Aug - will see this improve a fair amount (barring injuries). I really think the key is going to be hang in enough pre-WC and make a run afterwards.