Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Polar Vortex - What If and When?

First home game is in less then 25 days.

And its freaking cold out there right now.

Yeah....yeah...I know...Ontario weather almost always has a thaw sometime before March Break.

But, this winter freeze has gone on for awhile and doesn't seem to be easing off.

So, I gots myself a series of questions:

How warm does it have to get to and by when does that have to happen for the field to be ready?

How warm does it have to get to and by when does that have to happen for the stadium to be ready?

And if the field and stadium are not ready, what are the alternatives according to league rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea but anything above -30 and i will be standing in my section (drinking some sort of hot alcoholic beverage)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that the long range forecast shows below seasonal weather up to March 17th...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Toddie's for everyone!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    No idea but anything above -30 and i will be standing in my section (drinking some sort of hot alcoholic beverage)
    Problem is the stadium won't open for the game because the stadium isn't winterized, meaning no washrooms, and no concessions, and no go because that can't happen.

Game would most likely move to the skydome or move date(s).

EDIT: I would say anything in the +5 c in the forecast and the game goes ahead at BMO

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shirts off!!!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

season opener vs Portland 3 yrs ago? was really cold, but I don't remember any issues with the stadium
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Might as well do a dress rehearsal for when we're hosting games in November!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    season opener vs Portland 3 yrs ago? was really cold, but I don't remember any issues with the stadium
    Yeah you're right: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...th=3&cmdB1=Go#

It was -2 that day... game was on.

But if I remember correctly they had $100,000+ in water pipe damage which perpetuated the subsequent skydome games...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jameson

That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are putting jameson in the pipes to prevent water damage? Nice! you can buy alot of Jameson for less than $100000.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, when we're at home playing teams like Houston, Dallas, or LA and going through a local cold snap, that usually gives us a bit of a leg-up against the competition who normally train and play in much warmer climates (or at least milder compared to Toronto).

This year, though, we've got DC United and Colorado visiting in the months of March and April when our weather is usually at it's most extreme during the MLS regular season. Unfortunately, I doubt that's going to have much of a positive impact for Toronto as both teams experience similar climates and weather systems.

As for the readiness of the pitch and facilities at BMO Field, I'm confident we won't have any issues, but if they do arise I'm pretty sure there is an agreement with Rogers Centre to host an emergency match or two if it's needed.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as it is sunny and anything at or above -5 C then the game will be at BMO
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Shirts off!!!
    LMAO
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thing the geniuses at league HQ have said "Not if, but when" to a winter schedule. I hope they have been paying attention to this winter and noticing how many games would have been cancelled or had about 10 fans show up league wide.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no chance of the opener being moved.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big concern for the game ops people will be the stadium. The grass has heating and should revive pretty well given a couple weeks (starting soon) of proper heating.

The water pipes need to be turned on for the south, East and north sides. The west side is in a heated building. The temp has to be warm enough to open the pipes. If we get a couple days before the opener that has moderate temps then it should be fine. The longer the pipes are on, the more resource they have to dedicate to having plumbers on call 24/7 during the cold.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to this long-range forecasr, it should start to warm up (at least to + highs, and lows no colder than -5) by mid-March.
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/tor...onyr=3/01/2014

March 22 is forecasted to be +2 degrees and overcast.

It's going to be a cold one for sure... but hopefully warm enough to prevent any stadium issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Hot Toddie's for everyone!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing the conditions in Denver last year that the USA and Costa Rica played in during their World Cup qualifier, nothing would surprise me in terms what scenario the Reds would play in.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The C.Rapids home-opener was snowed out last year... game delayed until the next afternoon... huge snow-banks lined the field.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Good thing the geniuses at league HQ have said "Not if, but when" to a winter schedule. I hope they have been paying attention to this winter and noticing how many games would have been cancelled or had about 10 fans show up league wide.
    I don't mind if they move to a winter schedule as long as it isn't within the next 80-90 years

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    You know, when we're at home playing teams like Houston, Dallas, or LA and going through a local cold snap, that usually gives us a bit of a leg-up against the competition who normally train and play in much warmer climates (or at least milder compared to Toronto).

This year, though, we've got DC United and Colorado visiting in the months of March and April when our weather is usually at it's most extreme during the MLS regular season. Unfortunately, I doubt that's going to have much of a positive impact for Toronto as both teams experience similar climates and weather systems.

As for the readiness of the pitch and facilities at BMO Field, I'm confident we won't have any issues, but if they do arise I'm pretty sure there is an agreement with Rogers Centre to host an emergency match or two if it's needed.
    what a total disappointment IF any games are held in skydome ! There are reasons it is a horrible sporting venue . Anyone who actually likes the place is an apologist or wealthy enough to drink through the complete game . My seasons are strongly because of BMO and our environment there........and while on topic IF we had to spend a season there for construction of a new stadium, (anyone thinking about that?), I'd prob miss many games or simply walk the concourse.......call me crazy...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    this won't happen ...mainly because FIFA is now considering moving to a schedule similar to ours....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The big concern for the game ops people will be the stadium. The grass has heating and should revive pretty well given a couple weeks (starting soon) of proper heating.

The water pipes need to be turned on for the south, East and north sides. The west side is in a heated building. The temp has to be warm enough to open the pipes. If we get a couple days before the opener that has moderate temps then it should be fine. The longer the pipes are on, the more resource they have to dedicate to having plumbers on call 24/7 during the cold.
    it is the heat/cold , back and forth that pops the plumbing. some frozen pipes when thawed will pop, if they have/had any water in them, we need a gradual thaw . In the hydro outage some buildings had ALL their water shut-down and wouldn't revive the water until inside temp was 5 to 10 degrees (inside).(cold pipes). Hopefully there won't be a forecast of real cold following the opener, either . That said, it's all about this drastic winter , and who knows when we actually feel the heat . We'll all be peeing in a cup.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone who knows more than me:

How hard is it to heat/insulate pipes?
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    what a total disappointment IF any games are held in skydome ! There are reasons it is a horrible sporting venue . Anyone who actually likes the place is an apologist or wealthy enough to drink through the complete game . My seasons are strongly because of BMO and our environment there........and while on topic IF we had to spend a season there for construction of a new stadium, (anyone thinking about that?), I'd prob miss many games or simply walk the concourse.......call me crazy...
    I wouldn't spend a season there, but if I had to choose between -10 and windy with snow or Skydome, I would pick Skydome

I REALLY don't get why they don't have the teams in colder climates play their first few games away and have them by-week heavy. It wouldn't be impossible to organize by any means, hopefully with Orlando coming in they will be able to make it happen.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Someone who knows more than me:

How hard is it to heat/insulate pipes?
    The treatment plant I used to work at used heat tracing on the pipes to keep the liquid from freezing. Think of it like resistance heating for pipes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

Well Washington DC being much further south is actually quite a bit warmer in the winter months then Toronto, on average about 10 degrees warmer. But that said Washington can still get cold days and bad snow storms. Usually by middle and end march our temperatures are usually really warming up compared to beginning of March anyways. But this winter who knows, its been a bad one. Most likely I don't think anything to crazy tho.

Month of March
    Washington Average high- +13
    Average Low- +3

Denver Average High - +12
    Average Low - -3

Toronto Average High- +5
    Average Low- -4
    Last edited by james; 02-26-2014 at 11:36 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well now don't I look like a proper asshole.

To be honest, I'm really surprised with Denver having an average high of +12 in March. I mean, that city is sitting at a mile above sea-level!

As an aside, I believe we were playing Dallas in April 2013 and were going through a bit of a cold and wet spell here in Toronto. Dallas on the other hand was going through a warm and dry period, and had played four out of their five previous games either home or in an even warmer location. We ended up getting a draw from that match from an opponent who had 4 wins out of 5 up until that point and I wouldn't be surprised if weather played a noticeable role in that match.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-27-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.