Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Duane is not a very reliable source. He has been wrong before. The only time he was reliable was when Mo was here because they were on friendly terms.
    This. 1000 times.

He has predicted a strike the last 3 deals now with his vast insider knowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish they could just force the Owners who voted against to fuck off and sell their clubs to interested groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's not marginally higher, it's up to 125 percent of their prior deal, according to SBI. So the vets get paid.
    In a pay for performance environment this is peanuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    In a pay for performance environment this is peanuts.
    It's not a pay for performance environment if they stay under contract to MLS, only if they're competing with other leagues for that talent. If I exercise FA and I'm within MLS, and if I'm a middle-of-the-road starter, the marginal guy, then going potentially from 125K a year to 250K is a BIIIG deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Agree with most of the post except for the Atlanta thing. Blank is nothing like Kraft or Hunt. True he owns an NFL team but as far as paying his players, how he thinks about sports and business etc he is much closer on the spectrum to Jerry Jones, Paul Allen than he is to Hunt and Kraft.
    Good to know. I was basing that on some of the stuff I read about him when he came on board. He's getting up their in years though, but that's one less hawk around next time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Wish they could just force the Owners who voted against to fuck off and sell their clubs to interested groups.
    I don't think there's any record of owners voting against the deal. The list of teams that Ives listed as voting against, referred to the players from those teams voting against.

If anyone has other specific information, that would be interesting. I'm sure there are owners/investors that were for & against the deal, but I haven't seen anymore info on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's not a pay for performance environment if they stay under contract to MLS, only if they're competing with other leagues for that talent. If I exercise FA and I'm within MLS, and if I'm a middle-of-the-road starter, the marginal guy, then going potentially from 125K a year to 250K is a BIIIG deal.
    Just to clarify here, you are calculating this as 125 x 125% = 156k ? Because that's how I read it, 125% of your prior salary, not 125% raise.

Regarding it not being a pay for performance environment: sure! But that's the problem

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it looks like the first casualty might be the union brass.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...-players-union

Interesting tidbit in all that:

“In the end, it was the best deal according to some of the guys in the room because [of] the divide of the union guys,” said the player, who would not qualify for free agency under the conditions reported. “It seemed as if a strike wouldn't have helped or lasted long enough.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Just to clarify here, you are calculating this as 125 x 125% = 156k ? Because that's how I read it, 125% of your prior salary, not 125% raise.

Regarding it not being a pay for performance environment: sure! But that's the problem
    Hmmm, good question. Seems more likely it would be 25% and not 125%, but the way it was worded on SBI technically meant you could more than double your money. Still, it's a negotiated increase even with the new team, not automatic, so it may be the latter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the FA cap figures as percentages to be used as a ceiling relative to the players previous salaries. If a MLS vet earning 200k qualifies for free agency, the maximum another club within the league could offer him would be 250k. 300k would equate a maximum raise of 75k, and so on.

As mentioned, for MLS journeymen that have no hope of playing abroad, this deal is a significant breakthrough compared to the status quo.

I was hoping for a significant salary cap increase, but at least the issue can be revisited in 5 years when league revenues should increase enough to justify it.

In any event, we can finally look forward to kick off on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great they reached an agreement, but have to say the union looks pretty weak. Where in this have the owners actually given anything up? The TV deal goes up by 100 per cent and the franchise fee is 100 million and they are offering 25 per cent increases and a few hundred thousand on the cap? Minimums of $60,000 when the TFC designated players salaries equals the salary caps of the entire league alone? All owners all the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, 4th DP or no 4th DP?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Great they reached an agreement, but have to say the union looks pretty weak. Where in this have the owners actually given anything up? The TV deal goes up by 100 per cent and the franchise fee is 100 million and they are offering 25 per cent increases and a few hundred thousand on the cap? Minimums of $60,000 when the TFC designated players salaries equals the salary caps of the entire league alone? All owners all the way.
    There is still a tremendous level of disparity throughout the league in terms of the wealth of individual franchises. The league may operate as a single entity, but as we know, the club payrolls can vary drastically. I understand the need to maintain a semblance of cost certainty to an extent in order to try and cultivate a level playing field among large, medium, and small market clubs. If there were no such measures in place, it would only be a matter of time before MLS would resemble the top leagues in Europe, wherein the same handful of clubs compete for the league title every year.

In order to promote the growth of the league, parity is essential.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-04-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The PA has no leverage, and they know it: they ARE weak. It's filled with players who can't financially afford a prolonged strike, in a league that could be folded completely by a labour dispute. The only players with any leverage are the DPs, except they have no stake in any of it - they just want their gigantic paychecks.

Comparing DP salaries to league minimum earners is an eye opener, but also not that useful. DP players are essentially celebrity exemptions to the cap, that can be paid anything the teams want. Looking at DP salaries is only useful when the owners try to cry poor... but even then, TFC is a crazy exception, not the new normal across the league. Some teams are legitimately not that well off, on the whole.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So, 4th DP or no 4th DP?
    Someone (I think SBI) said there may be a fourth with a $1M cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The PA has no leverage, and they know it: they ARE weak. It's filled with players who can't financially afford a prolonged strike, in a league that could be folded completely by a labour dispute. The only players with any leverage are the DPs, except they have no stake in any of it - they just want their gigantic paychecks.

Comparing DP salaries to league minimum earners is an eye opener, but also not that useful. DP players are essentially celebrity exemptions to the cap, that can be paid anything the teams want. Looking at DP salaries is only useful when the owners try to cry poor... but even then, TFC is a crazy exception, not the new normal across the league. Some teams are legitimately not that well off, on the whole.
    I agree, and well put. What I was trying to say was that the owners have lots of new collective money - from TV, franchise fees, etc, and show it by what they pay their DP's - and gave very little of that money back to the players in this deal. Except for the free agency, the agreement sounds like what the owners might have done if there were no Union.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free agency, even a limited one is a huge concession IMO. No owner of any team in any sport wants free agency of any kind and they resisted it as long as possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/03/0...-new-cba-deal/

The view from an NASL watcher's perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Free agency, even a limited one is a huge concession IMO. No owner of any team in any sport wants free agency of any kind and they resisted it as long as possible.
    I remember seeing something that said that FA in the other North American sports was not gained through collective bargaining, the players had to sue for it. It is significant that MLSPU won it at the table, even if its limited and not what most rank and file players hoped they would get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    So, that would put cap at $3,100,000 x 1.15 = $3,565,000.
    So does that $3.5 cap stay fixed or does it increase by 15% each year of the agreement? Fixed is my guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    So does that $3.5 cap stay fixed or does it increase by 15% each year of the agreement? Fixed is my guess.
    I am pretty sure there will be an increase every year but they have not released exactly how much it will be. Some people are speculating it will be a 15% raise every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In essence, the salary cap increase will allow teams to add 465k worth of talent to their rosters. In MLS, that can buy at least one impact player to add to a starting lineup, so it should make a difference in the quality of football moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    In the past CBA it went up 5% a year. 2011=$2.675M, 2012=$2.81M, 2013=$2.95M, 2014=$3.1M.

Sources say going up 15% in 2015 to $3.565M. If +5% after that, it should hit $4.3M by end of the contract. If +15%, $6.2M or so. I just can't see it doubling from 2014 amount of $3.1M. If that's true though, that would be quite a big deal.

Edit: Steven Goff of Washington Post reporting $4.2M by 2019, so seems it will be +5%.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 03-05-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    In essence, the salary cap increase will allow teams to add 465k worth of talent to their rosters. In MLS, that can buy at least one impact player to add to a starting lineup, so it should make a difference in the quality of football moving forward.
    Key question is if the current exempt roster slots stay exempt or not. Those are almost all low end wage players who will be get bump ups from the new min salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boo, that cap increase is getting us nowhere fast, we'll just get shitty players being paid more at the low end.

I would have been happier with the old min wage, but allow teams to offer full room, board, and transit (team shuttle/transit passes/car share) to all players. the high cost of living in teh big north american teams is almost all in living expenses.

They can still add a domestic DP within th next 5 years, right?
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 03-05-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    I am pretty sure there will be an increase every year but they have not released exactly how much it will be. Some people are speculating it will be a 15% raise every year.
    Ok, a progressively increasing cap is much better. Was it a progressive cap under the old CBA?

I'm curious what they did with the DP rules as well and how it may affect Gilberto's loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    In the past CBA it went up 5% a year. 2011=$2.675M, 2012=$2.81M, 2013=$2.95M, 2014=$3.1M.

Sources say going up 15% in 2015 to $3.565M. If +5% after that, it should hit $4.3M by end of the contract. If +15%, $6.2M or so. I just can't see it doubling from 2014 amount of $3.1M. If that's true though, that would be quite a big deal.

Edit: Steven Goff of Washington Post reporting $4.2M by 2019, so seems it will be +5%.
    Ok, this is a great response and addresses the progressive increase under the old and new caps. I thought the old cap was fixed to be honest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    boo, that cap increase is getting us nowhere fast, we'll just get shitty players being paid more at the low end.

I would have been happier with the old min wage, but allow teams to offer full room, board, and transit (team shuttle/transit passes/car share) to all players. the high cost of living in teh big north american teams is almost all in living expenses.

They can still add a domestic DP within th next 5 years, right?
    Not sure, but perhaps they can already offer at least some of the costs of room/board/transit? I thought I had read about that? For sure they get all the food they want at the Downsview training ground for example, and the players don't have to get there on their own -- unless a DP wants to show up in his Lamborghini.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider Incremental increases to MLS salary cap over next 4 years, up to $4.2 million by 2019. Last year: $3.1m

Jeff Carlisle

DPs are not collectively bargained. Still hearing rumors of "Super-Max" DP that I reported on back in January. #mlscba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Not sure, but perhaps they can already offer at least some of the costs of room/board/transit? I thought I had read about that? For sure they get all the food they want at the Downsview training ground for example, and the players don't have to get there on their own -- unless a DP wants to show up in his Lamborghini.
    players were brining food home, those firdges should be pre stocked with lean meats & eggs