Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    In a lot of cases we'd start seeing different players or more committed players than are currently on the books.

There is talent leakage and wage bump-ups would reduce that and draw better players in the future.

I used to work with a guy who trailed with TFC in year one. They offered him one of those 12k "development" deals. He walked. Most of those players never made the league or contributed anything. Once they raised the minimum to 35k it got better. When they pump it up again a similar dynamic will take place.

Wages draw talent. It's that simple.
    That's a very interesting tidbit that I wasn't aware of. And that's where I sit on the same side as you. These new young talents need to be attracted to join the league and creating a higher basement does just that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Sure I can. Look at the GA class this year. Those are the true higher end talents and they are negotiating deals that they feel are fair. If they think otherwise then they don't sign and go elsewhere. The league may be not be competitive due to a lack of free agency, but nothing is tying those players down and forcing them to sign their contracts.
    Except the difficulty in getting work permits in other countries etcetera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wish list for the CBA:

- A $4.5 million Salary Cap, with a 5% increase per year of the contract, at least, preferably $5 million

- $50/65K minimum salaries, at least, preferably $60/80K.

- $15-20K raises to all non-DP players, with 5% increases per year of the contract.

- An extra DP slot for domestics

- All DP salaries counting as 10% against the cap instead of the current 12.5%

- Leave free agency discussion for the next CBA. I think the current system works okay for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, mostly. They need to trash those multiple one year options as well, formally. That's rumoured to be how Camilo got out of his contract: Fifa likely would not have recognized them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, mostly. They need to trash those multiple one year options as well, formally. That's rumoured to be how Camilo got out of his contract: Fifa likely would not have recognized them.
    The issue wasn't that they weren't recognized but that MLS has enforced them as if only the league had to exercise the option; under FIFA regs it's up to both parties. There are no "unilateral" options unless written as such.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent. We're third in the pecking order.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 1m1 minute ago Garber, on MLS labor talks: "The dynamic is more positive than it was five years ago"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby Warshaw on the players' perspective:

http://screamer.deadspin.com/why-mls...ium=socialflow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Bobby Warshaw on the players' perspective:

http://screamer.deadspin.com/why-mls...ium=socialflow
    very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being tight fisted over $500 dollars for moving expenses? In a league that can force you to move? Wow, that's cheap.

Low level employees at large corporations get much better treatment than that, easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust me.. not all large corporations treat their employees better..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larry Tanenbaum needs to send a memo to all the other owners, explaining the importance of adding a 4th DP slot in the new contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Larry Tanenbaum needs to send a memo to all the other owners, explaining the importance of adding a 4th DP slot in the new contract.
    I think with all the new money being thrown around by TFC recently (ie. players and stadium upgrades), as well as new acquisitions around the league, I don't see how a labor stoppage could occur this year. It would be extremely detrimental to the league, and to TFC. I could see TFC and some of the other wealthier owners around the league willing to compromise this year more so than any previous cba talks I think. A lot more at stake for them than the players (money and reputation).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim Bez probably put in a couple of hundred hours on the CBA before he even came here.

There is no way that there will be a screw up by TFC in this CBA other than maybe pissing off some of the cheaper owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Trust me.. not all large corporations treat their employees better..
    Oh I hear you, but let me tell you what I've seen given to some Jr. guys making in roles nobody would compare to being a professional soccer player:
    - Moving expenses that involve not lifting a finger (ie. movers who will literally pack every item in your home while you sit and watch)
    - Guaranteeing the resale value of the individuals home (offering the greater of sale value, appraised value, or original purchase price).
    - Real estate agent fees covered.
    - Lease breakage fees covered for those renting.
    - 5K + in allowances for absolutely anything, as they assume there a lots of soft costs involved in moving (ie. cable disconnection fee, etc...).
    - Vehicles shipped at no cost to the employee.
    - and the list goes on....

And MLS is going to ham-fist someone over $500 bucks, for an employee who they force to move without a real say in the process? We'll never catch up to the other leagues out there if we continue to conduct ourselves in such a 3rd class manner.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-19-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I hear you, but let me tell you what I've seen given to some Jr. guys making in roles nobody would compare to being a professional soccer player:
    - Moving expenses that involve not lifting a finger (ie. movers who will literally pack every item in your home while you sit and watch)
    - Guaranteeing the resale value of the individuals home (offering the greater of sale value, appraised value, or original purchase price).
    - Real estate agent fees covered.
    - Lease breakage fees covered for those renting.
    - 5K + in allowances for absolutely anything, as they assume there a lots of soft costs involved in moving (ie. cable disconnection fee, etc...).
    - Vehicles shipped at no cost to the employee.
    - and the list goes on....

And MLS is going to ham-fist someone over $500 bucks, for an employee who they force to move without a real say in the process? We'll never catch up to the other leagues out there if we continue to conduct ourselves in such a 3rd class manner.

I worked for one of the largest companies in Canada, Making a starting salary equal or greater than that of a TFC player for sure. No moving expenses in any way, no home, no agents, no leases covered, no allowances, no nothing... if I wanted a promotion I'd have to move at my own expense. So do some companies do well yes.. do all companies including top 5 companies... no.

I understand the players gripes though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Union beating the drums about the minimum

quote from MLSPU chief Bob Foose (from a tweet by Brian Straus via Larsun)

Follows this tweet from Harry Shipp:

I wonder if Giovinco knows that he will literally make more money in 2 days than some of his teammates will the entire year @MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The issue wasn't that they weren't recognized but that MLS has enforced them as if only the league had to exercise the option; under FIFA regs it's up to both parties. There are no "unilateral" options unless written as such.
    Well that's not really an option at all if both parties have to agree, that's a re-negotiation.

Someone can confirm but I believe Fifa allows player and team options, but not multiple ones like MLS has.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...-player-strike

I guess we know who the TFC rep is at the player union. sounds like just posturing and hopefully it's just that
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strong words from Bradley regarding the union's demand for unrestricted free agency. I agree with the union on that issue.

I think the league has to start taking the training wheels off with respect to how it governs it's franchises. It would also add more excitement to the off season. With a salary cap in place, there would be no need to worry about teams blowing each other's brains out to sign players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd think it would be better to get some form of limited free agency (perhaps a veteran player and the league office would negotiate a salary and then the player can negotiate directly with teams to select which team they join) and build on that. Any thought that the players might be able to gain unlimited free agency is outlandish. It's going to be the league's view that unlimited free agency may jeopardize the league's single entity legal status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Union beating the drums about the minimum

quote from MLSPU chief Bob Foose (from a tweet by Brian Straus via Larsun)

Follows this tweet from Harry Shipp:

I wonder if Giovinco knows that he will literally make more money in 2 days than some of his teammates will the entire year @MLS
    Yeah, stuff like that (crazy differences in salary) could definitely mess with players heads. Guess the positive way to look at it is, to play as hard as you can and aspire to make that kind of money, one day, yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens to season ticket money in the case of a work stoppage?

I'd just like to point out that a work stoppage at this point would be detrimental to both the league and its players. Sure the league is probably scared shitless over the thought of a work stoppage but if it actually happens and lasts a fair amount of time then the league is going to lose a lot of money and momentum which could mean even less money available for the players to take.

Jesus Christ, I understand free agency, but what else could be the issue. I mean are they asking for a 100k league minimum and $6m salary cap or something because then theyre just being ridiculous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    What happens to season ticket money in the case of a work stoppage?

I'd just like to point out that a work stoppage at this point would be detrimental to both the league and its players. Sure the league is probably scared shitless over the thought of a work stoppage but if it actually happens and lasts a fair amount of time then the league is going to lose a lot of money and momentum which could mean even less money available for the players to take.

Jesus Christ, I understand free agency, but what else could be the issue. I mean are they asking for a 100k league minimum and $6m salary cap or something because then theyre just being ridiculous
    Cap rising 25-30%
    Min salary going to $60-70k
    Vet minimum going to $200k
    New tier of DPs for players earning $400k-$1m
    Better travel arangements.

http://americansoccernow.com/article...fLBPpk.twitter

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be happier if negotiation sessions were scheduled but the union just received the league's counterproposal. There will be a couple weeks for them to review that and determine next steps. I expect once the current CBA expires 1/31, the pace will pick up. All the teams will be back in camp by then, it will be interesting to see how the rank and file are reacting to the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...-player-strike

I guess we know who the TFC rep is at the player union. sounds like just posturing and hopefully it's just that
    Each team has two reps I think, i KNOW Joe Bendik was our MLSPA rep last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A strike would doom MLS. The players have to know that.

MLSE I'd say need to prevent that.. but really buy the argos, an you have a stadium nearly ready to go. Tear out the North and South. Put the roof on east and west only... and it is a CFL stadium. I'm betting that Tearing out the seats and putting in turf, isn't that much more expensive than putting the roof on the two ends. If strike kills the season.. you just hold off putting the roof on the ends, and wait and see.