Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Did you see DC beat Houston 2-0? They were a hell of a lot better in their fifth pre-season game than their third.
    No, haven't been able to watch any other games yet. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in our next few games as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    No, haven't been able to watch any other games yet. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in our next few games as well.
    it was fun watching Montreal get destroyed by New York 3-0 (though that score was a bit harsh)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Ha, we should have done that when Winter was fired. Woudn't have had such an about-face in playing philosophy either. That lost us 2 years.
    That couldn't have happened. Mariner and Cochrane had their hooks too deep into Anselmi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    That couldn't have happened. Mariner and Cochrane had their hooks too deep into Anselmi.
    You're probably right. Winter probably wouldn't have even been fired at that point if Mariner hadn't been talking Anselmi into giving him the reigns. Mariner told him that he could continue the work that Winter started. Which for someone who knows absolutely nothing about the game (like Anselmi), It would make sense that someone already in the organization would be a more seamless transition than bringing in someone from outside the organization.

But of course all that is water under the bridge now. Claudius (Anselmi) and everyone else toxic has been removed, and Fortinbras (Leiweke) has finally arrived to restore order to the state of Denmark (MLSE)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    You're probably right. Winter probably wouldn't have even been fired at that point if Mariner hadn't been talking Anselmi into giving him the reigns. Mariner told him that he could continue the work that Winter started. Which for someone who knows absolutely nothing about the game (like Anselmi), It would make sense that someone already in the organization would be a more seamless transition than bringing in someone from outside the organization.

But of course all that is water under the bridge now. Claudius (Anselmi) and everyone else toxic has been removed, and Fortinbras (Leiweke) has finally arrived to restore order to the state of Denmark (MLSE)
    With Hamlet reference, you've officially hurt my brain
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Spartacus!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I'm Spartacus!

- Scott
    I'm Brian, and so is my wife!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm Brian, and so is my wife!
    Hahaha, I just re-watched that movie the other day.

"What Jesus blatantly fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem." - Reg

"Mandy: So you're astrologers, then? What is he?
    Wise man: Pardon?
    Mandy: What star sign is he?
    Wise man: Er, Capricorn.
    Mandy: And what are they like?
    Wise man: Well, he is the son of God.
    Mandy: And that's Capricorn, is it?"

And my personal favourite:

"Stan: I want to have babies.
    Reg: You want to have babies?!?!
    Stan: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
    Reg: But ... you can't HAVE babies!
    Stan: Don't you oppress me!
    Reg: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the fetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?"

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 02-24-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depth and coaching are the two key words that will be a factor for TFC 2014. Depth as in Hall, Lambe, Wiedeman and company these are the type of players that this team will go to for depth and there is your problem there is nothing there, factor in a coach that many don't have to much confidence in and this is what TFC 2014 has to deal with. Therefore, even with all the good acquisitions this team still has many question marks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my experience to introduce a new style of play let alone a good number of new players you need the second half of a season to start to see consistent results, best case. So I would say individual brilliance providing the points is the only chance the current coach has cto keep the job regardless how good he may be, expectations here are unrealistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Depth and coaching are the two key words that will be a factor for TFC 2014. Depth as in Hall, Lambe, Wiedeman and company these are the type of players that this team will go to for depth and there is your problem there is nothing there, factor in a coach that many don't have to much confidence in and this is what TFC 2014 has to deal with. Therefore, even with all the good acquisitions this team still has many question marks.
    I don't think Hall is such a terrible depth player. I would actually consider using him as a first choice DM if we were to play a formation with a lone DM behind Bradley and Osorio at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    From my experience to introduce a new style of play let alone a good number of new players you need the second half of a season to start to see consistent results, best case. So I would say individual brilliance providing the points is the only chance the current coach has cto keep the job regardless how good he may be, expectations here are unrealistic.
    He's not really introducing a new style of play though. Just getting a few new players up to speed on the way he wants them to play and getting them to gel. This is Nelsen's year two. Time to show something. Other managers manage to get their teams to do well in their first year with new players in a new system (see Porter at Portland). If Nelson got the right players, and has the right system, then there shouldn't be a huge adjustment period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    With depth looking something like this:

F: Dero
    Mid: Hall, Bekker, Jackson
    Defence: Agboss, Morgan, Bloom, Ritcher

I'm probably most worried about CB. Our depth at the FB spots is a little odd, I hope there are more guys like Jackson on this roster that can play multiple spots.

Midfield, we need everyone except for Jackson to carry a higher level of play than they have in the past. Guys like Hall and Bekker have turned into serviceable MLS players in the past, key is consistency.

Forward, not too worried. If we can be tactically flexible we can play one up top or move Rey up there as a second striker in a pinch (he often played as a FW in Spain). Fingers crossed everyone stays healthy.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-24-2014 at 10:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not really introducing a new style of play though. Just getting a few new players up to speed on the way he wants them to play and getting them to gel. This is Nelsen's year two. Time to show something. Other managers manage to get their teams to do well in their first year with new players in a new system (see Porter at Portland). If Nelson got the right players, and has the right system, then there shouldn't be a huge adjustment period.
    Few new meaning 6 in first 11, right?

Porter is an exception, not the rule...

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Hall is such a terrible depth player. I would actually consider using him as a first choice DM if we were to play a formation with a lone DM behind Bradley and Osorio at some point.

Given the limited players and options last year it is in essence a new style of play for the depth players at least. Yes a full year however it appears to May, seven games is the timeline..at best...good luck with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Few new meaning 6 in first 11, right?
    That's true. But it's not like he's teaching the entire squad a new system. So it's more about the first XI gelling than it is about learning a system. Part of it is that I don't see Nelson's style as being an overly complex one that would take the players a while to learn. If he were trying to teach them some intricate pass and move patterns and such, I could see it taking time, but what we play is pretty much standard channel football. So its mainly getting players to time their runs properly, and getting everyone on the same page. It's certainly not some crazy new system that's completely foreign to everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you watch the same team last year, most of these depth players cannot string a couple of passes together. Nelson style last year was simple as he had so little to work with.

With a crowded mid-field expected by the opposition and the skill set he has on hand... I would think a different style is a necessity.

Only time will tell if we have a new system, I would have thought it was the only way forward.