View Poll Results: Who won the offseason trades?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicago

0 0%
  • Chivas

2 1.90%
  • Colorado

0 0%
  • Columbus

1 0.95%
  • DC

1 0.95%
  • Houston

0 0%
  • KC

0 0%
  • LA

0 0%
  • Montreal

5 4.76%
  • New England

0 0%
  • NY

0 0%
  • Philadelphia

1 0.95%
  • Portland

0 0%
  • Salt Lake City

0 0%
  • San Jose

1 0.95%
  • Seattle

0 0%
  • Toronto

92 87.62%
  • Vancouver

2 1.90%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the most loaded question that could exist considering where it is being asked. I am excited as anyone about this season but I am waiting until the boys actually take the pitch for real before I get too crazy.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Injuries are a part of the game, and unpredictable for the most part. Aside from DeRo and Dike, we don't have any players that would be considered high risk in that sense.

For all teams, luck definitely plays a part in maintaining a semblance of a full squad throughout the course of an entire season.
    Injuries are somewhat unpredictable and play a part for every team. Agreed.

However, the older you get the more likely it is that you will have an injury just as it is true that your skills decline. Age increases that risk of injury.

That's why Kevin Payne wanted to go the young DP route. In Bradley and Gilberto his successors have made good choices in that regard.

But Caldwell (33), Orr (31), Defoe (31) Caser (34), and DeRo (35) would appear to be more at risk for injury due to their age. 3 of them are coming of injuries in the fall that saw each miss 2-3 months of action. A big part of TFCs spine is over 30.

If it happens and anyone starts whining about bad luck they need to be reminded that the odds of injury were higher. Building a foundation on aging player has always been very risky. From the Leafs to TFC, it has almost never worked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Injuries are somewhat unpredictable and play a part for every team. Agreed.

However, the older you get the more likely it is that you will have an injury just as it is true that your skills decline. Age increases that risk of injury.

That's why Kevin Payne wanted to go the young DP route. In Bradley and Gilberto his successors have made good choices in that regard.

But Caldwell (33), Orr (31), Defoe (31) Caser (34), and DeRo (35) would appear to be more at risk for injury due to their age. 3 of them are coming of injuries in the fall that saw each miss 2-3 months of action. A big part of TFCs spine is over 30.

If it happens and anyone starts whining about bad luck they need to be reminded that the odds of injury were higher. Building a foundation on aging player has always been very risky. From the Leafs to TFC, it has almost never worked out.
    The way this team has been built it certainly is a high risk, high reward sort of situation. We are only a couple of injuries away from seeing Weedman in the starting 11 now....

Also - the other concern with injuries. The way you keep older players on the pitch is through squad rotation. Will Nelsen have the know how to do so, and will he actually do it? If Defoe is feeling a bit banged up and needs a break for a game, will he rest him like he should, or will he put him out there? Big questions which will be interesting to see the answers to as the season progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're in fact that 4th youngest team in the league and our spine is no different from teams like RSL and NY:

Real Salt Lake: Morales (34), Saborio (31), Beckerman (31), Rimando (34)

NY Red Bulls: Cahill (34), Henry (34), Olave (36)

The difference is we haven't had guys we were over 30 that have had decent injury histories. Hopefully our FO has done their homework and we can see these guys play 30 out of the 34 games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry is 36, Olave is 32
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    We're in fact that 4th youngest team in the league and our spine is no different from teams like RSL and NY:

Real Salt Lake: Morales (34), Saborio (31), Beckerman (31), Rimando (34)

NY Red Bulls: Cahill (34), Henry (34), Olave (36)

The difference is we haven't had guys we were over 30 that have had decent injury histories. Hopefully our FO has done their homework and we can see these guys play 30 out of the 34 games.

That's an interesting chart. Full rosters are within a year and half of each other across the league.

Would be interesting to see the starting 11.

As for NY and RSL, yes, they would be in the same situation as we are with respect to "luck" vs "odds"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    This is the most loaded question that could exist considering where it is being asked. I am excited as anyone about this season but I am waiting until the boys actually take the pitch for real before I get too crazy.
    POLL QUESTION - Who Has Won the Off-Season?
    + Toronto FC
    + TFC
    + Toronto Football Club
    + Toronto
    + All of the Above
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    POLL QUESTION - Who Has Won the Off-Season?
    + Toronto FC
    + TFC
    + Toronto Football Club
    + Toronto
    + All of the Above
    You forgot the mainstream media's favorite:

• F.C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You forgot the mainstream media's favorite:

• F.C
    And the international media's favourite:

FC Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the international media's favourite:

FC Toronto.
    FC Toronto who play in America

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God bless the person who voted for Chivas.

Looks like the Don is on here.

I would say that move to take them back by MLS is a big win for them for the off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD quietly putting together a good team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what do we put above the crest on our jersey, for winning the offseason? How about a little dunce cap?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evermorian View Post
    FCD quietly putting together a good team.
    pretty much every team is slowly putting together a good team, using TFC to deflect attention
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an interesting chart. Full rosters are within a year and half of each other across the league.

As for NY and RSL, yes, they would be in the same situation as we are with respect to "luck" vs "odds"
    i be curious to see what the chart looks like at the end of the season and you only include players that appeared in 10 games or more

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best 11 for each team right now, IMO

Chicago

Chivas USA

Colorado

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus

DC United

FC Dallas

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston

LA Galaxy

Montreal

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New England

New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland

Real Salt Lake

San Jose
    Last edited by Yohan; 02-24-2014 at 03:27 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle

Sporting Kansas City

Vancouver
    Last edited by Yohan; 02-24-2014 at 03:31 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great work on the lineups yohan; i was mettling around with dallas today as well; they have a deep, deep squad; 34 players on their roster, which means they need to make 4 cuts; i don't know who they cut, but i wouldn't be surprised if some of the older guys like hassli, benitez, and luccin are on there way out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Best 11 for each team right now, IMO

Chicago

Chivas USA

Colorado

3 familiar players (former reds) on 2/3 teams made best 11 in 2014: Wynne, sturgis, Avila

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    great work on the lineups yohan; i was mettling around with dallas today as well; they have a deep, deep squad; 34 players on their roster, which means they need to make 4 cuts; i don't know who they cut, but i wouldn't be surprised if some of the older guys like hassli, benitez, and luccin are on there way out
    Hassli is going to get cut; he's just lost interest ever since getting married. Benitez will stick around as long as Dallas has no depth at FB. luccin just signed a new deal IIRC

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcocd View Post
    3 familiar players (former reds) on 2/3 teams made best 11 in 2014: Wynne, sturgis, Avila
    there are quite a few ex TFC players around... a lot of them end up doing well in other teams

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston

LA Galaxy

Montreal

Montreal starting 11 looks ok and if divaio keeps scoring and the 8 or 9 returnees can recapture last years early form I think they would be a mid table team. Where are they looking to add DP? Attacking MF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are quite a few ex TFC players around... a lot of them end up doing well in other teams
    Maybe 11 if you count cups of coffee like urruti?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal starting 11 looks ok and if divaio keeps scoring and the 8 or 9 returnees can recapture last years early form I think they would be a mid table team. Where are they looking to add DP? Attacking MF?
    striker. di vaio is retiring at the end of the season

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe 11 if you count cups of coffee like urruti?
    On my lists
    Avila
    Wynne
    Sturgis
    Silva
    Dunivant
    Eckersley
    Casey
    Edu
    Urruti
    Cronin
    Frei
    Nagamura
    Teibert (TFC academy)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli is going to get cut; he's just lost interest ever since getting married. Benitez will stick around as long as Dallas has no depth at FB. luccin just signed a new deal IIRC
    Luccin signed last summer...much like Elmer did; he's played in 10 games the last 3 years; don't think he is worth a spot + an int. spot when you have jacobson, michel, moffat, thomas, watson, probably ahead of him in the pecking order for the 2 holding midfield spots
    Acosta, Michel, Loyd, and Hernandez can all play LB, but i think Benitez, with his green card, is most likely to stay, but at 35, I question his ability to keep up physically/athletically for a whole season