View Poll Results: Who won the offseason trades?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicago

0 0%
  • Chivas

2 1.90%
  • Colorado

0 0%
  • Columbus

1 0.95%
  • DC

1 0.95%
  • Houston

0 0%
  • KC

0 0%
  • LA

0 0%
  • Montreal

5 4.76%
  • New England

0 0%
  • NY

0 0%
  • Philadelphia

1 0.95%
  • Portland

0 0%
  • Salt Lake City

0 0%
  • San Jose

1 0.95%
  • Seattle

0 0%
  • Toronto

92 87.62%
  • Vancouver

2 1.90%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbo looks to be going for full youth movement in Vancouver. So Canadian kids will be getting game time.

Montreal? Who knows? But looks like Saputo is going after a big name DP post WC.
    Don't care how well Montreal does, as long as they are beneath us in the standings
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Robbo looks to be going for full youth movement in Vancouver. So Canadian kids will be getting game time.

Montreal? Who knows? But looks like Saputo is going after a big name DP post WC.
    Don't care how well Montreal does, as long as they are beneath us in the standings
    I could see a few Big Time DPs come July after the World Cup, when the money will be flowing.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Yup - that's actually a bit of a dilemma for us TFC and Canada fans. We want MTL and VAN to shit the bed and place lower than us, but honestly I do want them to do well against every other team. Why? Because it helps our national team. So yeah, I want them to a) lose to us, b) place lower than us in the rankings, and c) not be terrible.
    On the other hand, TFC can become a national 'giant', something like Galatsaray (Istanbul), or CSKA Moscow (who are kind of down atm). Both clubs have decent youth systems that have churned out NT players.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted Columbus just to be different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    As TFC fan, I am thrilled and can't wait to trash MTL and VAN this season, but as a Canadian soccer fan, I am concern MTL and VAN are going to fall flat in the season and maybe in the future wouldn't keep up with MLS 3.0 movement which will make them "have nots" of MLS. If they can't keep up with big boys then it's going to hurt game of soccer in their markets which isn't good for Canada soccer.
    If Chivas can survive, MTL and Van will be fine. Bottom of the table hopefully, but fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If Chivas can survive, MTL and Van will be fine. Bottom of the table hopefully, but fine.
    The Chivas situation has shown how low a team could truly go without its future being put in jeopardy.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Given that we outspent every other team by 30-50x, this is a bit like asking which car you prefer, a Ford Focus, or a Maserati?
    Agreed. I kind of wish we'd tone down the crowing about how well we've done this winter, because I can just feel karma creeping up on us - cancelling out everything we earned from years and years of futility.

Anyway, I think Philly had a really good off-season. They made some pretty good improvements to their team, at a fraction of the cost we paid (not that I care about what it cost us).

The #1 position on this list is not even a question, but again - winning the offseason does not come with a trophy.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

While Toronto added the most expensive and recognizable names, a more interesting question is which team did the most to improve their odds of winning the MLS Cup?

Not a betting man but according to odds makers as of Jan 27th it is:

LA 9/2
    SKC 5/1
    NYRB 11/2
    Portland 7/1
    Seattle 9/1
    RSL 11/1
    Houston 12/1
    TFC 14/1

Pretty respectable jump for TFC but not quite the darlings of the league at this point... despite the Offseason trophy we apparently won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    While Toronto added the most expensive and recognizable names, a more interesting question is which team did the most to improve their odds of winning the MLS Cup?

LA 9/2
    SKC 5/1
    NYRB 11/2
    Portland 7/1
    Seattle 9/1
    RSL 11/1
    Houston 12/1
    TFC 14/1

Pretty respectable jump for TFC but not quite the darlings of the league at this point... despite the Offseason trophy we apparently won.
    With the signing of Cesar today TFC's odds jumped up to 10/1.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA 9/2
    SKC 5/1
    NYRB 11/2
    Portland 7/1
    Seattle 9/1
    RSL 11/1
    Houston 12/1
    TFC 14/1

I'm pretty sure those odds gets better with Cesar coming in for the full season. Probably still not the top, but probably closer to Seattle and Portland numbers.

EDIT - ^^^ lol, beat me by a minute!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I'm pretty sure those odds gets better with Cesar coming in for the full season. Probably still not the top, but probably closer to Seattle and Portland numbers.

EDIT - ^^^ lol, beat me by a minute!
    Bovada increase Toronto FC's odds to 10/1 with the signing of Julio Cesar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA 9/2
    SKC 5/1
    NYRB 11/2
    Portland 7/1
    Seattle 9/1
    RSL 11/1
    Houston 12/1
    TFC 14/1

In the period of time immediately after the Blue Jays traded for all of those guys last winter, their Vegas odds jumped to the best in baseball, to win the World Series.

Longer story short, Vegas odds aren't really all that educational from a sports perspective. It's basically like the stock market, which behaves like a perpetually spooked deer.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegas odds have nothing to do with statistics or probability, they're designed to get the same number of people betting on either side of the number. It's just a public opinion poll. That's why while I love sports betting, betting against a spread is ridiculous. The Jays had a lot of people who wanted to bet on them- everyone who dislikes the Sox and Yankees and everyone who thought they could be smart. TFC doesn't have a lot of people who want to bet on them because... well... the past 7 years. That's all the line is indicative of

Also Shakes, no-one is being over confident about the results during the season, but if the question is which MLS team had the best off season, there is only 1 answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bradley will shine and Defoe will do well also, Cesar is a goalie yes he might make saves to make up for any defense mistakes he will have a presence and should give confidence to the defense. Will Cesar be able to win games on his own or keep the team in games, he could. However, we still have question marks like Henry who had a so so season last year. The new guys Morrow and Orr how will they do and how will the bench perform in the back when called upon, Morgan, Richter and company. How will Rey do he was ok last year but not spectacular, will Osorio continue to improve, I'm assuming Laba will be gone so their goes a very good piece, guys like Lambe and Hall I just don't think they are even good enough on the bench for a club that has MLS Cup aspirations. Will DeRo be the DeRo of old can he still be usefull. will Gilberto live up to his DP status. Moreover, is Nelson the guy to take this team to the promise land? Therefore, question marks are there that's why I'm not going to crown them the team to beat just yet or even a sure thing to make the playoffs, call me crazy but after 7 lousy season's I'm going to take a wait and see approach because this team to me still has a lot of question marks attached to them. However, I do applaud the amazing effort that has gone on this off season by this organization to try and finally make this team better and I am very happy that they have made the effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I can just feel karma creeping up on us
    This is very TFC fan esque.

I remember in years 1-3 when people who had a positive outlook on life used to post here. Where did they all go? ahah
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-15-2014 at 01:52 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal hasn't done much substantial over the off-season and Vancouver is coming out worst off. Out of the league I'd say TFC has made the most progress by a mile with trades and acquisitions, but Hackworth over at Philly has been busy as well. Edu is getting loaned in from Stoke and they're courting Zat Knight from Bolton to shore up their backline.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-15-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Montreal hasn't done much substantial over the off-season and Vancouver is coming out worst off. Out of the league I'd say TFC has made the most progress by a mile with trades and acquisitions, but Hackworth over at Philly has been busy as well. Edu is getting loaned in from Stoke and they're courting Zat Knight from Bolton to shore up their backline.
    philly need zat knight; they are very green at the cb position outside of okugo.

DC have made some moves, but i think they are overpaying for some players; i think they will struggle balancing their squad with being in 2 other competitions

Seattle has reworked their budget and gotten some good pieces; they have a solid starting 11 now

Portland have added some nice pieces too; could be an interesting year for sure.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yeah, Seattle is looking pretty strong in the west. And Portland is likely going to put together a good season as well. I think Valeri and Urruti together at the start of the season will have them coming out of the gates strong.

My Lord, I miss these discussions. Bring on March already!
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now we're just blowing ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's wrong with that? After the shit we've been put through the last 7 years, some personal pleasure shouldn't be frowned upon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Perhaps. But after this offseason, if we don't make at least the playoffs, it's a total failure. So, in that sense, it's not asking too much for us to at least make the playoffs. We've got the target on our back this season - and if we don't make it, we deserve any vitriol directed against us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there is a way to screw up, tfc will find it
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Hand jobs for everybody!

Let's make a circle everyone.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Hand jobs for everybody!

Let's make a circle everyone.
    Cringe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Cringe
    = This Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this even matter?

Sure, TFC appears to have made a bunch of great pickups, but there's a reason they give out the chaampionship trophy at the end of the season and not the beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

MTL will be in last this season in the east they are too old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Toronto teams are kings of the offseason, but inevitably karma comes and destroys our dreams in the most cruel ways possible. Dike's injury is just the start. Wait until Defoe blows his knee on Seattle's turf on national television...

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Well, Toronto teams are kings of the offseason, but inevitably karma comes and destroys our dreams in the most cruel ways possible. Dike's injury is just the start. Wait until Defoe blows his knee on Seattle's turf on national television...
    Some say karma. Some might say it's the odds.

Whether is Owen Nolan with a bad back or Doug Gilmour (the veteran 2.0 knee injury on first shift back) or Wendel Clark (same 2.0 version but with back issues) or in TFC's case Koevermans or Frings, the odds go against you when you have older players.

Defoe is coming off an injury and another that saw him miss 2.5 months a year or so before that. DeRo missed 12 weeks with a knee injury to end his 2013 season. Caser missed 8 weeks staring last September with a broken finger.

If they go down again it isn't karma, it's simply odds and the downside having to buy your way out of not being able to develop and ID younger talent.

As it has been true for the Leafs it seems like a very similar script for TFC. We all just need to cross our fingers and hope they beat the odds.

Feel really bad for Dike though. This must be really tough for him to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injuries are a part of the game, and unpredictable for the most part. Aside from DeRo and Dike, we don't have any players that would be considered high risk in that sense.

For all teams, luck definitely plays a part in maintaining a semblance of a full squad throughout the course of an entire season.