Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    from that article

"González not requiring the DP tag would ensure that Montreal retain the required breathing space to sign a third Designated Player in the summer."

sounds pretty close to our Laba situation lol
    That's what I was thinking - obviously we already have Laba signed so it's slightly different, but the timing is what intrigues me. Perhaps a restructured contract under this rule might work? MLS allows a different team to use the rule first so it doesn't look like they created it for Laba/TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    We'd probably need the full written rule to understand if Laba could apply.

Although I would bet Tim B has already looked at this, he's the MLS guy remember? I'd be surprised if he didn't already look into this.
    Based on the author's lack of knowledge of the rule, or the inability to confirm whether Real did use the rule or not, or the MLS not willing to comment, it seems odd.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    MLS has amended league guideline in the past to accommodate large market clubs in their quest to attract marquee players and raise the profile of the league. If a similar scenario plays out that allows us to keep Laba on the roster this season, I won't lose a second of sleep over it.

We shouldn't be penalized for the remarkable off season management has orchestrated.
    I agree with this.

The league has made so many rule changes to specifically help the Galaxy, playing it off a"it's for the good of the league".
    Now it's time for TFC to get that sort of treatment.

Come up with some sort of modification to the young DP rule.

Others on here are saying they would rather TFC play by the rules - well as Garber mentioned before - the league makes the rules up as they go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are Canadian we are the polite country... we don't need special treatment when we beat the Germans, we didn't need help when we keep the peace, we don't need help to win at curling, or hockey, we can deal with the league rules for Football too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem really stems from their lack of disclosure in the first place. As we've seen from time to time, the rules are clearly that MLS makes up the rules as they go along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not surprising the existing rules aren't flexible enough to cover these new situations. It was a product of its time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanarkist View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-will-fall-und

Thought the timing of this unknown, unheard of rule today is interesting to say the least - never heard of it, and neither had the writer for MLS, nor would the MLS comment on it. Maybe I'm reaching here but would be interesting if this was a rule we could use to fit Laba in.
    So, have they added a feature to MLS Fantasy Manager 2014 called "Do whatever the F you want"
    I just picked up 2 Zusi's and 2 Higuains on my team based bilatteral diminsional allocation mechanism. MLS in both dimensions declined comment
    crap, come on how am I gonna win
    It's cool, you can have both Zusi's. The league has allready change the rules since my last comment, and now using the organizational shared captaincy regulation I can make all my starters captain, and by the uniform youth playing time floor I can play 3 subs in addition to my 11 starting captains. By the time you finish reading this post none of these rules will be in affect any longer and several more obscure ones will have taken their place.
    Gold.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league taking control of Chivas is the answer now. Laba has to go there on loan.

Garber now has the opportunity to do something for TFC, Chivas, and the league, that doesn't upset the competitive balance in MLS.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, makes sense for everyone. Vergara said all the CdG players on loan to CUSA have to return by June so the league will have to replace those guys. Wilmer Cabrera is a decent coach actually, so wouldn't hurt Laba's continued development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The league taking control of Chivas is the answer now. Laba has to go there on loan.

Garber now has the opportunity to do something for TFC, Chivas, and the league, that doesn't upset the competitive balance in MLS.
    I completely agree. This is a perfect opportunity for all involved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less than a week left. Amazing how the leaks at TFC were shut down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one way or another...I think he is done with TFC...by not having him at camp the writing is on the wall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    one way or another...I think he is done with TFC...by not having him at camp the writing is on the wall.
    That was long ago decided, think it was a long shot that he would remain with us this season. That being said its not the worst thing in the world to have him go on loan for the season somewehre. Id only be upset if he doesnt come back

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we even know what Laba is doing right now? He's not at TFC camp, but is he training with someone else? Is he just sitting at home? Is he in Toronto, or back in South America?

We are something like 6 days away from the roster compliance deadline, and we still have no idea what his status is. I hate how opaque MLS is, sometimes. For all we know, he could have been let go or loaned two weeks ago.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lack of resolution on this makes me think he is leaving the league. Anybody inside willing to pick him up would have wanted him at their preseason camp by now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Lack of resolution on this makes me think he is leaving the league. Anybody inside willing to pick him up would have wanted him at their preseason camp by now.
    I agree. I can see it already.
    "Mati is a great player, a great guy, we tried everything possible to keep him with us".
    Cutting it very close to the deadline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which countries have transfer windows open right now that Laba could be sold to?

Argentina?
    Brazil?
    Mexico?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweden, Norway, Japan, Brazil windows are open.

English Football League teams can bringing loanees too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The loanees for champ clubs can only be for 90days. Would need a work permit.

I'd rule England out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That leaves slim pickings. Maybe Michael can give his dad a call at Staebek and get him to do us a solid.

I'm not kidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're not wrong. It's going to take a solid from someone somewhere to get something done at this stage.

Given that the club has been in negotiations twice with Internacional in Brazil (Forlan, Gilberto) maybe they give their contacts there a call and see if they can take him for the year...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not happy at all to think we will lose Laba!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben Rycroft suggesting Laba to Vancouver, dunno whether its perm or a loan
    @callitfootball 4m
    Vancouver taking Toronto hand-me-downs, eh? Could work for both I suppose #LabaWatch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just about to post that. Id be perfectly fine with Laba going to Vancouver on loan. Time in Canada will still accumulate towards getting that permanent res status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I was just about to post that. Id be perfectly fine with Laba going to Vancouver on loan. Time in Canada will still accumulate towards getting that permanent res status.
    cosign that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I really don't think we should consider PR status so early in a player's time here. It takes 3 years to be eligible plus about a year to actually get the card. A lot can change in 4 years.

Anyway, hope this is a loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be very comfortable with a loan to Vancouver. A trade would sting a little no matter who/what we get in return.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I'd be very comfortable with a loan to Vancouver. A trade would sting a little no matter who/what we get in return.
    Maybe. I'd love Kekuta Manneh plus allocation. Or Teibert + a lot
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I really don't think we should consider PR status so early in a player's time here. It takes 3 years to be eligible plus about a year to actually get the card. A lot can change in 4 years.

Anyway, hope this is a loan.
    A year is still a year. Better in Canada than elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Maybe. I'd love Kekuta Manneh plus allocation. Or Teibert + a lot
    That's why I said a little, started thinking about the pieces we could potentially get in return...

I think we'd be dreaming on Manneh given our position, being forced to trade. Teibert or Hurtado are possibilities though.