Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
    Well Laba has spoken and seems that he never was happy here with the team and management. Still think this will be one of the biggest blunders committed by TFC. Should've done more to retain him. If Laba has anothet breakout season, I can see him heading off to England, Spain and the Caps will reap the transfer fee rewards.

Article below:

http://mlssoccer.com/news/article/20...manent-transfe
    assuming part of the conditions weren't a % of the sell-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think getting torqued about this is 20/20 hindsight.

The posts about Defoe, they're irrelevant. That's a different decision, a bad one, but different.

Laba was dumped for Bradley, and that is a move anyone would have made.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Laba was dumped for Bradley, and that is a move anyone would have made.
    And the ongoing question is whether that was the right move or not.

I don't see Bez winning this trade in the eyes of supporters no matter what they get back. Laba didn't make enough mistakes to end up in the supporters' bad books before he left. Thus the narrative is being built that Bez is just a number cruncher in over his head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

I don't see Bez winning this trade in the eyes of supporters no matter what they get back. Laba didn't make enough mistakes to end up in the supporters' bad books before he left. Thus the narrative is being built that Bez is just a number cruncher in over his head.
    in my mind it was never about Laba being in anyones bad books, Bradley is a better player therefore you move Laba and get Bradley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cmon Bez didn't make the Bradley for Laba move! That was 100% Leiweke. Bez got told to get what he could for Laba, which turned out to be very little.

I also think there is considerable doubt about just which in season moves Bez made. At least some of them belong to Nelsen. Maybe most of them.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-12-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Cmon Bez didn't make the Bradley for Laba move!

I also think there is considerable doubt about just which in season moves Bez made. At least some of them belong to Nelsen. Maybe most of them.
    itll be very interesting to see what moves Bez does make this off season/season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Bradley or Laba.

Anybody who chooses Laba isn't worth discussing this with.

And that narrative you discuss is only being built with people who

a) don't realise that its Laba or Bradley

or

b) don't like Bez to begin with to the point where they are willing to ignore the who "you get either Laba or Bradley" aspect for the sake of maintaining a narrative.

The internet doesn't help. We used to discuss this stuff over a pint and get through the frustrations. Now people post, tweet and read in little cubicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its Bradley or Laba.

Anybody who chooses Laba isn't worth discussing this with.

And that narrative you discuss is only being built with people who

a) don't realise that its Laba or Bradley

or

b) don't like Bez to begin with to the point where they are willing to ignore the who "you get either Laba or Bradley" aspect for the sake of maintaining a narrative.

The internet doesn't help. We used to discuss this stuff over a pint and get through the frustrations. Now people post, tweet and read in little cubicles.
    Maybe it isn't a case of Laba or Bradley. Maybe it's more of a case of Laba Or Gilberto, or even Laba or Defoe.

I believe it's been mentioned on these boards that Bradley can't do everything himself, and needs other players to help him out, and perhaps Laba was the answer to that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the time, it was Laba for Bradley.

Everything else is revisionism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly this.

We can debate it until the cows come home but this is the argument that Bez had to have with Tim.

Were better with Bradley then Laba. End of. Its up to them now to get a AM that can use Bradley and his building from the back to compliment him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it could have been Bradley for Gilberto. That was fully possible at the time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    No, it could have been Bradley for Gilberto. That was fully possible at the time.
    and what's your evidence? Gilberto was just signed by TFC too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Exactly this.

We can debate it until the cows come home but this is the argument that Bez had to have with Tim.

Were better with Bradley then Laba. End of. Its up to them now to get a AM that can use Bradley and his building from the back to compliment him.
    I'm actually not sure we were better as a team with Bradley. He never quite fit in properly with the players they had with him, although I think he would have very well with Laba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually not sure we were better as a team with Bradley. He never quite fit in properly with the players they had with him, although I think he would have very well with Laba.
    It was the coaches fault for never finding a role for him in the midfield, not Bradley's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    It was the coaches fault for never finding a role for him in the midfield, not Bradley's.
    i agree. I like Bradley, although I think he tries to do too much. But Bradley Laba sounds like it should work very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    and what's your evidence? Gilberto was just signed by TFC too
    there was no rule stopping them selling Gilberto just because he was just signed - that's what they did with Urrutti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree. I like Bradley, although I think he tries to do too much. But Bradley Laba sounds like it should work very well.
    Bradley Laba partnership would just be like the warner Bradley partnership. Warner and Laba play a similar game with Laba gong forward a lot more with alot better touch.

We need a CAM not another half and half player. A true attack first midfielder that can and does demand the ball in his feet facing goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was no rule stopping them selling Gilberto just because he was just signed - that's what they did with Urrutti.
    it's more forgiving to work within framework of MLS. And Urruti was not a DP.

likely place to sell Gilberto would have been world market outside MLS, and Gilberto would not have been eligible to play for another team under FIFA rules. third registration with a team in a season and played for 2 already. kinda limits his sell value. also, another question would be, why would TFC try to sell a player they just signed? it's such a rare occurence that happens that questions would be asked, and potential buyers be put off.

Gilberto cost TFC 3 mil. unless TFC rated Laba's value being higher than Gilberto's, it'd have been nuts football wise to sell Gilberto instead of Laba
    Last edited by Yohan; 11-16-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley Laba partnership would just be like the warner Bradley partnership. Warner and Laba play a similar game with Laba gong forward a lot more with alot better touch.

We need a CAM not another half and half player. A true attack first midfielder that can and does demand the ball in his feet facing goal.
    not really. Warner sucked as DM. Bradley had to cover for whoever played DM too much, and his game suffered for it. with an effective DM like Laba who knows what he's doing, Bradley would have less to do, and more freedom to influence the game

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really. Warner sucked as DM. Bradley had to cover for whoever played DM too much, and his game suffered for it. with an effective DM like Laba who knows what he's doing, Bradley would have less to do, and more freedom to influence the game
    Agreed. However, I can't see Bradley all of a sudden turn into a AM. Just not his style. He likes to float inbetwen the front and back line using his passing ability to move the ball between the lines alot like Laba did when he was here.

There both just too similar in playing styles. Where as Warner no matter how bad he was tried to kill attacks defensively and lacked anything moving forward. Having a player like him or Bekker in the lineup made the opposition shutdown Bradley thus shutting down our attack.

Having a all out AM gives us two prongs of attack with Bradley suited in his back and forth role both moving the ball forward and playing in front of the backline defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's more forgiving to work within framework of MLS. And Urruti was not a DP.

likely place to sell Gilberto would have been world market outside MLS, and Gilberto would not have been eligible to play for another team under FIFA rules. third registration with a team in a season and played for 2 already. kinda limits his sell value. also, another question would be, why would TFC try to sell a player they just signed? it's such a rare occurence that happens that questions would be asked, and potential buyers be put off.

Gilberto cost TFC 3 mil. unless TFC rated Laba's value being higher than Gilberto's, it'd have been nuts football wise to sell Gilberto instead of Laba
    maybe maybe not. But they could have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. However, I can't see Bradley all of a sudden turn into a AM. Just not his style. He likes to float inbetwen the front and back line using his passing ability to move the ball between the lines alot like Laba did when he was here.

There both just too similar in playing styles. Where as Warner no matter how bad he was tried to kill attacks defensively and lacked anything moving forward. Having a player like him or Bekker in the lineup made the opposition shutdown Bradley thus shutting down our attack.

Having a all out AM gives us two prongs of attack with Bradley suited in his back and forth role both moving the ball forward and playing in front of the backline defensively.
    Actually, i don't agree. You need someone to play behind Bradley or the other team exploits the holes - go back and watch the New England game. He was culpable on all three goals where NE exploited the space behind him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just put bradley in a 3 person midfield in a 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3 and I think he and the team will shine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    just put bradley in a 3 person midfield in a 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3 and I think he and the team will shine.
    I think this is the best way to get the best out of Bradley - let him bomb forward as needed, combine with the wingers more - still need someone to protect that backline, though. I don't trust anyone on this team to do that exceptionally well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the issue is trading Laba...it's what did we actually get in exchange for our promising young DP? Surely..the basis of a trade is that you get something for equal value in exchange? There are several non-DP players at the Whitecaps that could have been aa fair trade. Why is it that we got nothing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I don't think the issue is trading Laba...it's what did we actually get in exchange for our promising young DP? Surely..the basis of a trade is that you get something for equal value in exchange? There are several non-DP players at the Whitecaps that could have been aa fair trade. Why is it that we got nothing?
    because this is what you get when your hand is forced. Caps knew Toronto had to trade Laba, so Laba's value was depreciated. As well, it's hard to find a team to take a DP, esp someone who came off a somewhat long term injury. Risky

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This discussion has to stop being had.

They could have cut bait with Gilberto before he played a game. They could have cut bait with Defoe too. They could have not signed Bradley at all. All of those were options for keeping Laba, but management / GM / Coaches decided to ditch Laba.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    This discussion has to stop being had.

They could have cut bait with Gilberto before he played a game. They could have cut bait with Defoe too. They could have not signed Bradley at all. All of those were options for keeping Laba, but management / GM / Coaches decided to ditch Laba.
    not to mention the fact we dont know what we got for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that Laba had to go. They had to make a choice - right or wrong the decision was made. So now just tell us what we got in return.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I get that Laba had to go. They had to make a choice - right or wrong the decision was made. So now just tell us what we got in return.
    Apparently an undisclosed amount of cash. Meh