Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    we paid for his full transfer fee and not the league. So maybe we own his overall rights but VWC can use Laba this year (like a loan i guess) Still all very unclear but not sure how much more info we are going to get out of the FO.
    ^ the transfer fee does add a wrinkle only because there is no clear language around it.

But take that out for a second. When JDG was traded to Dallas, Dallas held his rights.

When Dallas didn't offer him a contract, he went into the Re-entry draft. His rights didn't revert back to Toronto. So, DPs are treated the same as regular players.

The only difference between JDG and Laba (again transfer fee aside) is that Laba wouldn't qualify for the Re-entry draft as he doesn't have enough playing time so he goes into the Waiver draft.

The question is whether the transfer fee paid entitles Toronto to his rights, presumably in perpetuity. Even if you trade the player.

If TFC still holds a portion of his rights though, that would mean that this deal is a loan and all this intra-league loan stuff should apply. The Loan rules were created so
    "Teams can now execute trades involving loans, without having to permanently give up a player's rights."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...time-league-hi

If TFC didn't permanently give up the player's rights, then it's a loan, isn't it?

If it's a trade, then presumably they did give up his rights, didn't they? That would mean he's Vancouver's full property and treated like JDG if they don't resign him. In that case, it would be presumed that TFC simply made a bad decision to pay a transfer fee to bring in a player and then trade him a year later.

It's an interesting question for this transparency hungry fan base.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    \

How about "Slamma Laba Ding Dong"?

- Scott
    Laba Rocks?

Laba Coke and a Smile?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    am I crazy but does the team of Laba and Reo-Coker seem to be a better fit than any mid team we can come up with..........and I did say team . Not single talent
    No, I think we are going to see some really good things from the Bradley, Osorio combo this year. I've never really rated Reo-Coker as much as some people apparently. and as much as I like Laba, between him and Bradley, Bradley wins 100%.
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    If Welshman had as much potential as you seem to think, you think he'd have been cut instead of traded? Montreal and Vancouver need domestic players as badly as we do. And if he had that kind of potential he'd probably get picked up by another club pretty quick, right? Has anyone expressed interest in him even? Drafts/young players are crap shoots. The trick is figuring out who is worth the time and effort and who isn't. It's sports. He's older than Laba. We have limited roster spots and only so many coaches who can spend their time trying to develop young players.
    Canadian teams only need 3 Canadians on the roster (incl residency card guys). That's just 3 HG players on roster spot 21-30. It's not a hard rule to get around.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    am I crazy but does the team of Laba and Reo-Coker seem to be a better fit than any mid team we can come up with..........and I did say team . Not single talent
    Reo-Coker runs around like an energetic chicken. he's makes decent DM, ok box to box guy due to work rate, but not a very good passer. Bradley/Oso combo beats any 2 man midfield Caps can field right now. (and Robbo is likely going to go with 5 man midfield combo of some sort, probably 4-2-3-1)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoever has his ITC owns Laba, plain and simple. This deal is wayyyy to shrouded in ambiguity.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    This has probably already been posted, but if ya haven't seen it check it out. I feel a bit better after the read, its basically confirms what a lot of us expected "future considerations" meant

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/2/2...-laba-trade-to

Just to follow up on this, the WTR article references an earlier article by Kurtis Larson who suggested that Laba could end up back in Toronto.

Larson wrote a follow up to that article late last night and has changed his position in line with what I highlighted earlier. Indicating that if Vancouver does not resign him, he would likely end up elsewhere in the MLS. My guess is that it would be via the waiver process as I highlighted yesterday.

The long and short, Laba is Vancouver's property. It looks like if they resign him, TFC gets money. If they don't, Laba will likely be claimed by another team.

The Laba ship has most likely sailed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto had better be a factor for this club in the next couple seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "Laba Dabba Do"?
    +1

You got my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^

If it's a trade, then presumably they did give up his rights, didn't they? That would mean he's Vancouver's full property and treated like JDG if they don't resign him. In that case, it would be presumed that TFC simply made a bad decision to pay a transfer fee to bring in a player and then trade him a year later.

It's an interesting question for this transparency hungry fan base.
    What is with the negativity..

listen to yourself.

"TFC simply made a bad decision to pay a transfer fee"? Why? Because they new in 8 month Michael Bradley was going to pick up the phone and ask to come back to the US.. How dare TFC pick up a excellent midfielder when they had the chance to, with long term success in mind, it was clearly a bad decision to sign players, when another player could maybe perhaps might someday think about considering at some point contemplating a move back to MLS that Toronto could possibly be in a positions to negotiate for with other teams if that option is made available to them.

Yes Toronto paid a Transfer fee as is normal in the world of international soccer to bring in a young player that could develop with the club for a few years and then likely be sold to Europe for an equal or greater transfer fee, while in the mean time strengthening the midfield with a sharp young DM for much of the year. It was a good decision at the time, and the decision to bring in Michael Bradley is a decision that was made, he is by all accounts a stronger player and will help develop Canadian players. Picking him up was a good move. There was no bad decision here. The right decision was made, in both cases. Unless you are some how psychic there is objectively no point in calling Laba a bad decision, just because you want to bitch about the team.

We aren't privy to the whole deal, and they did what had to be done to deal with the league rules.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    We signed Gilberto while we had Laba, its Bradley who has to perform, and hes already started to

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Yes, because he's a DP striker on a team with a history of not being able to score. Those better perform.

He is not responsible for people who left either before or after him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yes, because he's a DP striker on a team with a history of not being able to score. Those better perform.

He is not responsible for people who left either before or after him.
    Yeah, it's amazing all the people who are suddenly putting this all on Gilberto's shoulders.

It's Bradley who needs to perform in lieu of Laba. Laba would still be here if it wasn't for the opportunity to scoop up Bradley.

In any case, people should just get over it...he's gone, probably won't be coming back. Stop beating a dead horse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless of who came when and why, everyone on this team needs to prove they're better value for money than Laba

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    What is with the negativity..

listen to yourself.

"TFC simply made a bad decision to pay a transfer fee"? Why? Because they new in 8 month Michael Bradley was going to pick up the phone and ask to come back to the US.. How dare TFC pick up a excellent midfielder when they had the chance to, with long term success in mind, it was clearly a bad decision to sign players, when another player could maybe perhaps might someday think about considering at some point contemplating a move back to MLS that Toronto could possibly be in a positions to negotiate for with other teams if that option is made available to them.
    It's not necessarily negative, it's just the way it is.

Fact is they reportedly paid a big transfer fee and then traded the player a year later. Bradley did just fall in their lap. No real forward planning simply an opportunity they jumped on. It could work out for the better. Doesn't change the Laba equation though. Big fee, nothing really in return and they no longer have a player they originally targeted as part of their "rebuild."

That said, turnover had to be expected. This organization has essentially had a made up on the go on plan since its inception and these kind of things are to be expected when Payne goes and TL comes in.

Hopefully, the TL era brings some stability in terms of direction. That the team can build together. That players targeted as core players stay part of the core.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Stop beating a dead horse.
    You're not the boss of me.

But yeah, I'm with Og / CBTFC. I want Gilberto to score lots, and it has nothing to do with any other player past or present. I also want Defoe to score tons. And Wiedeman. I want our team to score tons because that's one thing (of a few) we've been missing over the years.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scoring is key. I know that sounds idiotic but look at all the points we would have had last season if we had just one more goal in a game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Scoring is key. I know that sounds idiotic but look at all the points we would have had last season if we had just one more goal in a game.
    Or if we hadn't had those final minutes defensive meltdowns.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Or if we hadn't had those final minutes defensive meltdowns.
    Hopefully the increased concentration caused by having both Julio Cesar and Stephan Caldwell yelling at them to keep their shape might help the rest of the back line in this regard. And I don't see Osorio and Bradley letting people saunter into the top of the box unmarked like Hall and a few others did last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it sounds very sports cliche, but all the points people are bringing up are key.

Scoring a few more goals + allowing a few less goals + avoiding the late game, last 15 minute downward spirals = a few more wins & points.

The KISS method...keep it simple, stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just The long and short, Laba is Vancouver's property. It looks like if they resign him, TFC gets money. If they don't, Laba will likely be claimed by another team.

The Laba ship has most likely sailed.
    I've never seen a soccer deal work that way, as I've said in another thread. Future bonuses or considerations in soccer are based on keeping the player as part of the initial deal, not part of "well, if he works out you get more." Typically, if the initial considerations aren't met, the player reverts to his former club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fact is they reportedly paid a big transfer fee and then traded the player a year later. Bradley did just fall in their lap. No real forward planning simply an opportunity they jumped on. It could work out for the better. Doesn't change the Laba equation though. Big fee, nothing really in return and they no longer have a player they originally targeted as part of their "rebuild."

That said, turnover had to be expected. This organization has essentially had a made up on the go on plan since its inception and these kind of things are to be expected when Payne goes and TL comes in.

Hopefully, the TL era brings some stability in terms of direction. That the team can build together. That players targeted as core players stay part of the core.
    It is negative.. yes that happened but that isn't a mistake on TFC's part. They made a call based on the information as it stood then.

It's like buy a piece of equipment that does the job really well, and pay a lot for it, and then a year later saying hey I have this other piece of equipment that is better then what you have now do you want it. And you have the money.. it doesn't mean you wasted the early amount. It means you weighed the transaction and found greater value in spending the extra while having a extra part you can't use now..

If you went through life not buying anything because something better might came along you'd die alone in the room your grew up in a single naked virgin laying on a 70s hand me down sofa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paying the transfer money for Laba was a bad deal in retrospect, if you're MLSE's accountant. It's not my money.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Paying the transfer money for Laba was a bad deal in retrospect, if you're MLSE's accountant. It's not my money.

- Scott
    imho, no.

When you throw away millions, there is an opportunity cost.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man do they ever need a legit interpreter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know that face that players have when they join TFC cuz they had no other option? That's Laba's face in that interview. Poor guy loves Toronto, wanted to stay here. The guy was willing to restructure his contract to stay here (when other players in the past were willing to take a pay cut just to GTFO of here.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba on bench to start

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba just subbed on

-Eduardo Galeano