Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crockett and Tubbs on the pitch: Possible name for Miami's MLS team.

Looks like Becks and Company are considering a name that in my eyes would be a PR coupe for their new team in Miami. even by just floating the idea is going to get you attention in this pretty tough market. Even the logo that has been designed pays tribute to the pastel colours of the '80s.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/canes...ame-logos-kit/

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Looks like Becks and Company are considering a name that in my eyes would be a PR coupe for their new team in Miami. even by just floating the idea is going to get you attention in this pretty tough market. Even the logo that has been designed pays tribute to the pastel colours of the '80s.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/canes...ame-logos-kit/
    If they go with Miami Vice, INSTANTLY my second favorite club in MLS. By miles. They have to do it. It's brilliant. I'd even settle for Miami Nights

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool colours and everything, but sorry. As much as it was a cool show, I don't think they should go for that name. Sounds just as bad as some of the MLS 1.0 names (Dallas Burn, KC Wiz). Anaheim finally changed the name of the Mighty Ducks a few years back because it was a joke, same thing here. Miami Coke Barons has a nice ring to it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Cool colours and everything, but sorry. As much as it was a cool show, I don't think they should go for that name. Sounds just as bad as some of the MLS 1.0 names (Dallas Burn, KC Wiz). Anaheim finally changed the name of the Mighty Ducks a few years back because it was a joke, same thing here. Miami Coke Barons has a nice ring to it though.
    Miami Vice? That has to be one of the worst suggestions in sports history. I'm stunned by that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I was just about to make a Mighty Ducks reference when I noticed you beat me to it. Whatever might sound cool right now will probably wear off quickly... we're in the middle of a huge resurgence of 80's culture that is bound to end at some point.

I do like the way the M&V shape the Miami Vice logo though...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just for presentation purposes, people. It's not a serious suggestion.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hopefully they go with the unmentioned, corporate name.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I was just about to make a Mighty Ducks reference when I noticed you beat me to it. Whatever might sound cool right now will probably wear off quickly... we're in the middle of a huge resurgence of 80's culture that is bound to end at some point.

I do like the way the M&V shape the Miami Vice logo though...
    I don't think that's an apt comparison. The Ducks were named for a movie that came out a year before. Miami Vice is a 30+ year old reference. It's a part of the city at this point. Everything from Vice City (the GTA game) to every pop culture reference to the city over the past 30 years. When people think Miami, they think 1) scarface and 2) Miami Vice. And 3) strip clubs and regular clubs. But you can't name a team after strip clubs/bars or scarface so.... Miami Vice is unique, descriptive of the city and has meaning. I like the idea of the FC type names, but Toronto FC, Sounders FC etc aren't football clubs. It's just a brand name. For all sports a name that means something to the city IMO is the best possible name. That's also why the Raptors should be the Huskies or the Towers. Play to history or identity of the city, or descriptive of the team itself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid sounding team names doesn't stop fans from going to a game

Miami Vice might be a stupid name, but it will catch people's attention, positive or negative. For a sport that's still working on breaking into the general public apathy towards soccer, getting the first attention is a win. People might think the name is stupid, but at least that team will be in their mind, at least temporarily.
    Last edited by Yohan; 02-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I still think the name Miami Vice is more appropriate for a XFL team or Lingerie Football League team than a professional soccer team. I think there are enough other associations with Miami that would be suitable, like a name that focuses more on the tropical/marine aspects of the city. I totally think they should go with that colour scheme though, whatever name they choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically Lingerie Football was mentioned in this thread, so....

"...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post

I dunno what it is, but there's just something about a hot girl with the eye black....

(also thanks for not including a shot of Fords niece. The milks gone bad. I wish I had 4 hands etc)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami Vice is right up there with Toronto Raptors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back the Screaming Eagles.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Miami Vice is right up there with Toronto Raptors
    But I would say Miami Vice has a lot more meaning to the respective market than the name Raptors did to Toronto, which admittedly came out of the Jurrassic Park craze.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami Nice !!!

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami Vice?

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this funny feeling that Miami may actually go with the logo and imagery, but won't go full retard and call the Team Miami Vice FC.

Miami Victory? That would work.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about "Miami nobody gives a fuck" which will probably how it will turn out.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So their supporters would be "The Vice Squad" ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I have this funny feeling that Miami may actually go with the logo and imagery, but won't go full retard and call the Team Miami Vice FC.

Miami Victory? That would work.

Vice City. Sets the stage for the Vegas expansion- Las Vegas Sin, or Sin City.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

.. but because of a TV show ?

I'd like to see them use something from their regional history.

Pick something from Wiki...
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kit looks great. I hope they keep that at least. The name....reminds me of the guy that tried to market poo flavoured frozen yogurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That unnamed corporate sponsor could be Monster energy drinks. I.e. Miami Monsters, which sounds daft.

Just look at Monster's previous marketing strategies: they all copy RedBull. They sponsor F1 now in Merc after Redbulm brought 2 teams, they sponsor X-games/extreme sports, RedBull drive little promo VW bugs around town, so Monster drive big ass promo trucks around town... RedBull has a team branded after the in MLS, so they do the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is who it is. But I think MLS should veto corporate sponsor names like this in future.

My other guess if it isn't Monster, is Gatorade, and the team are called Miami Gators - with Gatorade font styling. But I think the local college football supports wouldn't like them stealing that name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    .. but because of a TV show ?

I'd like to see them use something from their regional history.

Pick something from Wiki...
    But it they pick something from history there's a good chance that the descendents of whoever was on the other side of that historical even would get offended (like Houston).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsn3 View Post
    My other guess if it isn't Monster, is Gatorade, and the team are called Miami Gators - with Gatorade font styling. But I think the local college football supports wouldn't like them stealing that name.
    Not only that, but folks in Miami would hate the name. The U hates University of Florida Gators.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaahuuu View Post
    But it they pick something from history there's a good chance that the descendents of whoever was on the other side of that historical even would get offended (like Houston).
    It seems there's always a special interest minority on stand-by, ready to get their knickers in a twist over the slightest offense.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Miami Vice?

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...
    Well, I guess you don't have to worry about that: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/02/...st-shoots.html

Somebody made a pointed observation in the comments, which was Seattle's experience in team naming. Basically, they gun for free attention by floating bad names and then try to find something viral that everybody gets behind. Semi-tinfoil hat, but I'm almost inclined to believe it's very shrewd marketing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what TFC kind of did, went with something standard/simple and see if a team nickname seems to form itself.

I like Athletico Club Miami / AC Miami personally. Or Miami Utd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If we're going with the typical soccer prefixes, given the number of people in Miami who were born outside the US, Inter Miami would also be a good one.