Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I’m uber cynical but I look at these quotes in the media (from any player) as micro particles of honesty hidden in mountains of bullshit. There is no incentive to speak openly about anything.

Especially for someone who is going to be looking for a management gig.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe I’m uber cynical but I look at these quotes in the media (from any player)....
    Then go look at the video...instead of looking at just the quotes

That was not a mountain of bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I found notably absent recently is Insigne on all this. He hasn't posted anything about MB, training, Toronto.. when every other player has. Wonder if he's already in Rome trying to convince Sarri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say you wouldn't go wrong if you never read into, or took seriously, anything said by a media trained public figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Then go look at the video...instead of looking at just the quotes

That was not a mountain of bullshit.
    No disrespect to him or any other player but I’m not going to watch 48 minutes of what I suspect will be 90% down-the-middle, sports figure retiring type commentary and 10% questions / comments that may border on interesting but are probably met with very intentionally non-controversial answers.

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I would say you wouldn't go wrong if you never read into, or took seriously, anything said by a media trained public figure.
    This is exactly my point.

Not highlighting Bradley here specifically as opposed to just making a general commentary on sports figures speaking in the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That shit is all meaningless now anyway. The between-the-lines was clearly that the balance in the room was wrong, and he was upset about his father being let go. Both of these are obviously true statements.

People will read in the subtext that he thinks his father wasn't the problem. But we have no idea what his mindset is. Perhaps he 100% advised his father on the 18 players we've shed since Bob came onboard leaving and didn't think much of them, so he's unable to recognize that the build of the team -- with far too many overpriced older players and no real second team -- significantly contributed to all of this.

Or perhaps he recognizes that but thinks they could've improved if the DPs were carrying them more.

But it doesn't really matter. At the end, the roster imbalance was our biggest issue. Yes, our DPs underperformed, but that's only a major issue when the rest of the team doesn't perform at all.

When you take out the DPs and TAM players, we had the lowest-paid and youngest starting roster in the league. Given that most of the TAM players were injured for at least half the season or moved by the club to save money, we effectively had eight or nine players in every game who wouldn't normally start in this league, as they are too young, inexperienced and tentative.

Everyone deserves some measure of blame for this debacle of a season. Subdividing the level of blame at this point, with one meaningless game left, is pointless.

So I'm just going to watch the game to see MB play one last time, hope Herdman gets a little more out of them... and pray for a decent offseason.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-21-2023 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That shit is all meaningless now anyway. The between-the-lines was clearly that the balance in the room was wrong, and he was upset about his father being let go. Both of these are obviously true statements.

People will read in the subtext that he thinks his father wasn't the problem. But we have no idea what his mindset is. Perhaps he 100% advised his father on the 18 players we've shed since Bob came onboard leaving and didn't think much of them, so he's unable to recognize that the build of the team -- with far too many overpriced older players and no real second team -- significantly contributed to all of this.

Or perhaps he recognizes that but thinks they could've improved if the DPs were carrying them more.

But it doesn't really matter. At the end, the roster imbalance was our biggest issue. Yes, our DPs underperformed, but that's only a major issue when the rest of the team doesn't perform at all.

When you take out the DPs and TAM players, we had the lowest-paid and youngest starting roster in the league. Given that most of the TAM players were injured for at least half the season or moved by the club to save money, we effectively had eight or nine players in every game who wouldn't normally start in this league, as they are too young, inexperienced and tentative.

Everyone deserves some measure of blame for this debacle of a season. Subdividing the level of blame at this point, with one meaningless game left, is pointless.

So I'm just going to watch the game to see MB play one last time, hope Herdman gets a little more out of them... and pray for a decent offseason.
    Wise words, more or less.

As for those using cynicism, tout court, the comments can be only shallow. There is an object here that is better judged with actual experience of it. Bradley, anyway, was always one of the few sports figures who usually had something of interest to say.