Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    A few things need to happen for 3.0 imo.

1. Eliminate the stupid transfer fee applying to cap hit. Its the #1 reason we are struggling to keep Laba, other than the DP slots. MLS will only really start to attract good quality young players if this is removed, there is to much of a penalty to pay a fee then salary for a promising player.

2. Eliminate DP slots. Implement a much higher soft cap with a luxury tax, low income teams get whatever luxury money is available.

3. Time to fold or force sell useless franchises with shitty owners like the Kraft family. MLS needs to start muscling their owners to get serious or sell.

4. In my opinion we are not into 3.0 until we see complete transparency regarding the rules, the league still acts like its 1996 thinking people wont care what rules get bent or made up on the fly.
    I agree with all of the above points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The league sometimes sees itself as merely an administrator and other times it asserts itself as the ultimate owner of player contracts. MLS 3.0 for me is when the rules evolve into a stable, flexible mode that gives the individual teams substantial discretion in roster selection, contract terms and interaction with other MLS teams. Whether or not that can be achieved within the single entity legal framework is going to be a debate we'll see more and more of in the near future.

There will be some who want to preserve single entity as a permanent feature of the league and others who see it as a historical form of organization with decreasing utility as the league grows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    ^ The league sometimes sees itself as merely an administrator and other times it asserts itself as the ultimate owner of player contracts. MLS 3.0 for me is when the rules evolve into a stable, flexible mode that gives the individual teams substantial discretion in roster selection, contract terms and interaction with other MLS teams. Whether or not that can be achieved within the single entity legal framework is going to be a debate we'll see more and more of in the near future.

There will be some who want to preserve single entity as a permanent feature of the league and others who see it as a historical form of organization with decreasing utility as the league grows.
    One question I have about the TFC roster is which player is rated as the 'discovery' signing? Is there a transfer fee threshold where Young DP status is required as opposed to 'discovery' status for a player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Each year the roster rules lists a maximum salary amount (for 2013 it was $368,750, 2014 not published yet). The transfer fee is typically split up over the duration of the contract and adds to the salary amount. If its over the max amount, it has to either be paid down with allocation funds or a DP slot used.

Each team gets six discovery claims which a team can use to call dibs on a player that isn't required to go through one of the various lottery mechanisms, eg you can't put a discovery claim on a current USMNT international, if they come back they typically would go through an allocation lottery unless they don't (Dempsey and Bradley). I don't think being a discovery signing has any different salary status attached to it, just on the basis of being a discovery signing.