View Poll Results: Who should be team captain?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Caldwell

113 75.33%
  • Michael Bradley

37 24.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Never heard of giving a captaincy to a brand new player.
    Right?! I mean.. he's not even played a game for us.

This is just LMFAO!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Right?! I mean.. he's not even played a game for us.

This is just LMFAO!
    To be fair Frings and Caldwell wasn't with TFC for very long before they got captaincy.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be Lambe clearly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    To be fair Frings and Caldwell wasn't with TFC for very long before they got captaincy.
    "Not very long" is, for me, far different to "jack squat," if you will.

Also, in the case of Caldwell, the captaincy wasn't stripped from anyone.

Worth noting, as well, that Frings took the captaincy from Maicon Fucking Santos! #ApplesOranges
    Last edited by JuliquE; 02-11-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell was clearly chosen for his leadership. I dont see why he dis-qualifies now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley will likely be a fantastic captain of this team one day.

Caldwell is the captain, he proved to be a good captain last year and that's the way it should stay.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley given the fact that Caldwell is only here until July on loan. Or better yet De Rosario for him being known as a Torontonian loyal to the fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pawlukj View Post
    Bradley given the fact that Caldwell is only here until July on loan. Or better yet De Rosario for him being known as a Torontonian loyal to the fans.
    boy, you haven't been paying attention. Caldwell signed a 2 and half yr deal last june/july.

and lots of articles say Captain Caldwell from yesterday
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell was appointed last year and then showed that he deserved it. I voted for him to keep the armband. Michael will have his day but last year Steven showed me he was the right choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THA BUTCHA View Post
    Some Random journeymen should not be the captain of this soccer team.
    Who is this random journeyman you're speaking of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't matter to me. Either is a good choice, you can make an argument for either (new direction - Bradley; he earned it - Caldwell), and neither strike me as the type to get the least bit upset if they don't get it. Total non-issue for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you could go wrong with either Caldwell or Bradley. I just don't think that DeRo deserves it. Love the guy, but this is no longer his team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, how pissed would DeRo be if they just gave Bradley the armband...

Anyway Bradley hasnt done anything for this team yet, Caldwell has been a superb captain thus far and so there is no reason to strip him of it. Plus his expiration date is coming up....Bradley can take over from then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Man, how pissed would DeRo be if they just gave Bradley the armband...

Anyway Bradley hasnt done anything for this team yet, Caldwell has been a superb captain thus far and so there is no reason to strip him of it. Plus his expiration date is coming up....Bradley can take over from then.
    The emboldened point is a very interesting one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Random journeymen should not be the captain of this soccer team.
    Toronto FC is trying to set a new standard of quality with this club.
    Therefore the captain should also set a new standard of quality.

I vote Bradley
    I'm going to guess you've never played on a soccer team before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...retain-armband

Toronto FC's Ryan Nelsen: "No reason" why Steven Caldwell won't retain armband in 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

Toronto FC's Ryan Nelsen: "No reason" why Steven Caldwell won't retain armband in 2014
    And that's the way it should be. We all seen what happened when Caldwell came in last season. He literally turned around our backline as soon as he stepped in.

Yes Defoe, Bradley, Cesar all guys with bigger and better experience by a mile.

But Caldwell got that locker room fighting for each other last season. He should be still captain as long as he's on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Guy with the best angry finger point gets the armband.

Caldwell wins:

This. He stands up for the Badge. Represents the team well.

Always gives it his all.

Caldwell is the only Captain on this team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

Nelsen is kind of dancing around the question here, in my opinion. Interesting.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're both natural leaders, but for now I would probably say Caldwell just because of his experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell. He was the captain last season, so he should carry on for sure. If Bradley sticks around with us for a while, I've no doubt he will take the armband at some point, but for now, I want Caldwell to be wearing it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maturity and experience usually wins out, but after last years forgettable season all bets are off.
    This kind of thing is sorting itself out right now, in pre-season training. Internally.
    That said, with Bradley's pedigree, you'd hope he wants it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the status quo is good for now. Caldwell fills the role well, and there certainly isn't a shortage of leadership on the team now.

Here is my order:

Steven Caldwell
    Dwayne De Rosario
    Michael Bradley
    Joe Bendik/Júlio César

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even speaking to the question of vice captain, where are people coming up with De Rosario? Because he's local? I don't think we want to encourage any of that "I am the team" mantra that encourages playing with your head down and blasting shots from 30 yards. I'm willing to bet it would come down to Bradley and Defoe after Caldwell steps off the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell = tfc 1.0
    bradley = tfc 2.0

I look at this season as a fresh start (like an expansion team). There is very little worth keeping or remembering that tfc did on the pitch in the last 7-8 years.
    I can't see the reasoning that Caldwell should be captain. He came in the middle of the season LAST YEAR also we were still shit with him on the pitch. (Our win/lose record shows this)

I saw saw one half of tfc soccer with Bradley on the pich and I can already tell we are miles better than we've been ever in our history.

The the people that think Caldwell should be captain are the same type of people that think DARCY TUCKER is on the list on greatest maple leafs of all time. I don't have a word for it. But this city is fascinated by athletes that are more goonish than skillful. But heart alone will not win games, especially soccer games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A captain isn't always the best player on the pitch. I don't think Caldwell did much wrong last year. He's a leader, and he puts his heart in to the team. I see nothing wrong with keeping Caldwell as the captain. It's not his fault we had a bad season. Many teams keep captains after bad seasons.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....But this city is fascinated by athletes that are more goonish than skillful. But heart alone will not win games, especially soccer games.

If you think Caldwell is about heart and goonishness and has no skill, you were not watching last season.

That and I think you have a poor understanding as to what a football captain actually does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....But this city is fascinated by athletes that are more goonish than skillful. But heart alone will not win games, especially soccer games.

Ha ha!! This comment is coming from a guy named THA BUTCHA!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Nelsen has said that Caldwell is captain, it seems like the fans and the gaffer are on the same page.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell = tfc 1.0
    bradley = tfc 2.0

I look at this season as a fresh start (like an expansion team). There is very little worth keeping or remembering that tfc did on the pitch in the last 7-8 years.
    I can't see the reasoning that Caldwell should be captain. He came in the middle of the season LAST YEAR also we were still shit with him on the pitch. (Our win/lose record shows this)

I saw saw one half of tfc soccer with Bradley on the pich and I can already tell we are miles better than we've been ever in our history.

The the people that think Caldwell should be captain are the same type of people that think DARCY TUCKER is on the list on greatest maple leafs of all time. I don't have a word for it. But this city is fascinated by athletes that are more goonish than skillful. But heart alone will not win games, especially soccer games.
    This is one of the most assbackward references I've heard ever.

There's no denying the fact that as soon as Caldwell was put in that dressing room and given the armband players were more accountable.

He one of the most professional players on and off the pitch this city has seen. There's no question Caldwell is the captain of this squad.

Plus having guys like Bradley, Defoe, DeRo on the pitch brings more leadership but I think they are more of leaders by example.

Let the younger guys see how they play with passion and push each other for better out of each and everyone of them. There still leaders, just without the armband.