View Poll Results: Who should be team captain?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Caldwell

113 75.33%
  • Michael Bradley

37 24.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who should be team captain? Caldwell or Bradley?

So, who would you choose?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley.

New team philosophy. It's no insult to Caldwell who is a leader for sure I just think it's important to stress the change in the team.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If Bradley just missed out on being captain of the USMNT (and still could be in the future), then I don't see why he shouldn't be captain here. That's not a reflection on Caldwell's leadership.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impossible to judge without being in the locker room. Whoever is the more effective leader should be captain....period. I don't see how any of us would really know. Up to Nelsen to figure that out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly season discussion.

We don't choose. The captain is Caldwell. Bradley will be captain when Caldwell is gone.

More importantly:

We have a number of leaders on this team. That's a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Silly season discussion.

We don't choose. The captain is Caldwell. Bradley will be captain when Caldwell is gone.

More importantly:

We have a number of leaders on this team. That's a good thing.
    Agreed - it's defo Caldwell. Bradley seems like an approachable guy but I'm sure some of the lower paid guys would be more comfortable voicing any issues with Caldwell first.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley being considered for USMNT captain definitely helps make a case that he should be club captain too, but more than that I just don't see a reason to take it away from Caldwell. He did a great job last year, and has proven his leadership. Even if Bradley is a phenomenal locker room leader, it's probably best to make him vice this season then switch roles for next year in order to not unsettle the dressing room too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell was a stand out, but it's Bradley's time now....and I think he is up to the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell is the captain. Bradley needs to earn it wearing the red. Im sure he'll get it soon but Caldwell is captain until Bradley earns it for the team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is Caldwell all the way for me. Outside of your departure from a team, I truly believe you have to do some detrimental to the club to loose the captaincy.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to re-post this.. but, yeh -- good that we have a thread, now, where my reply is most applicable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    There are a few different schools of thought, here:

If you give the captaincy to one of the DP's, whilst they would likely have the qualities to be successful in such a role, it might prove an uphill battle, given that it would be tough for them to empathize and demand better from the younger/lesser paid players, without being forced into a parental/babysitting role (subsidizing for them, as has been mentioned elsewhere). This could eventually take it's toll on whomever would be named captain, perhaps when we need them the most.

I also agree with Yohan, that stripping Caldwell of the captaincy sends the wrong message. He is, arguably, the best choice, having played at the highest levels, whilst still being on a comparable contract to the majority of players in the league. As such, he will be able to relate to everyone, which will help him. There's also something to be said of his apparent willingness to take on the role, in what was a tumultuous 2013 season. 47 goals allowed vs. 62 is a significant improvement, and that with him arriving mid-season -- not a balance you'd want to mess with, especially if we see new faces in the backline; players from the previous season will have formed an understanding with him and that respect will be there, but, with all the new faces (not only in the backline, mind), emphasizing his importance and, simultaneously, that of defending, through him retaining the armband, may prove crucial -- not that I think he's the type to mope around about it, were he not to retain the captaincy.

Winter used to say that he's not a fan of the keeper having the armband, as he is less likely to approach the ref. to get across the side's grievances and contest decisions, given that it would require leaving his goal untended (imagine a quick free-kick scenario); keepers have a limited time to set their walls and, so, even if the ref. insists on play restarting only after he's blown his whistle, there's hardly a window for the keeper-captain to get a word in. I do, however, agree that it's important to emphasize the importance of the defence-first mentality, with having a defender as captain.. especially when you consider that, to be fair, some offensive-minded players don't always carry their weight, when out of possession; a defender, being in the last line, before the keeper, in goal, will, instinctively, always keep others not doing their part in check -- the captaincy just gives them that bit more respectability.

I'm also not so sure that Bradley has ever been a team-captain on more than a stand-in basis. If I'm honest, the whole "rah-rah" business often required of a captain doesn't particularly suit his quiet/mysterious nature and could well be misinterpreted if the role were forced upon him. Some have said he would want to be captain, but I wouldn't have thought so, myself. Defoe, as has already been mentioned, is definitely more the type to lead by example; not necessarily the quite type, as he seems to be something of a comedian, but, when it comes to the business end of things, he will do his part and hope that others will match him.

At the end of the day, man-management and leading men are, quite possibly, Nelson's greatest qualities and I'm not as worried as it would appear some, here, are of him having a handle on things in the dressing room. With a year under his belt, now, and the respect he has garnered throughout his career, especially with his MLS background, I feel like he will have the confidence in himself, first and foremost, which will compliment his aforementioned natural talents.

The two more years (minimally) that we have with Caldwell should be enough time to, on merit, determine who's most deserving of the role of captain, for which I'm sure there will be no shortage of candidates -- certainly grounds to rejoice. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Right.. but, that's the U.S. national side that people think he would be a perfect fit for, as captain; language barrier and a number of other variables can sometimes play a role in whether or not a natural born leader is suited to a specific leadership role and, as much as I love, love, love this signing, the optics of an American walking in and snatching our Canadian side's armband is a totally different story, especially as we embark upon what will likely be our most memorable season, to date. Given the chance to endear himself to the fans, it could well prove to be a no-brainer for him to captain TFC.. but, with him locked up for 6 years, I don't see why we should force things and potentially cause a bit of a stir, in so doing.

I just feel like the captaincy, here, has been thrust upon nearly every past captain; I'd like for it to mean something to the person taking it on. As Shakes had alluded to, elsewhere, the players coming in aren't going to have an affinity for Toronto, the city nor club -- certainly not right away; after some time, they may well have and perhaps would aspire to take on such a role as captain.

Yes, Caldwell's not been here long, but, I don't see the rush in handing it to Bradley. You even have to wonder if Bradley and the like would have to fight off their own subconscious mind from thinking that the club is Mickey Mouse -- that they're above everyone else, when they, not only walk right into the side, but, take the captaincy from a well-respected and extremely important member of the club, as Caldwell, given the difference he's made, since joining, undoubtedly is.

We have, at least, a couple years with Caldwell, in which to see who organically stands out as a natural pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let Bradley settle in his first season, he is still young enough to be captain further down the line, say 1-2 yrs. Let him take this season to concentrate on his football, get to know the city, the club and his team mates. No doubt he is captain material, but I'd be in no rush to give it to him so soon. Caldwell's 34, so he wouldn't have too many yrs left in him anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There seems to be a tradition in North America to give the best/most high profile player in the team the captain's armband. Not so much in Europe.

Before he came here Caldwell was club captain at Birmingham even when he wasn't playing much. If he does get injured or loses his place then it's a no brainer to give Bradley the armband on match day but I see Caldwell as captain until he moves on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree - I think with all the changes a certain degree of continuity will be appreciated by the guys who have been around a while. Caldwell is the guy.....for now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell now as there is no reason to change with Bradley acting as Vice Captain with the thought that he will be captain when Caldwell retires or moves on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that, when Nelson was speaking about Morrow coming into the side, he was suggesting that the role of LB is, more or less, Morgan's to lose, having shown his worth and with being, now, one of the more senior members at the club, as far as appearances are concerned; gives you a bit of incite as to how Nelson views the world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The armband is a sign of respect, Bradley has as of yet not given a reason on the pitch to earn that respect.

Giving it to Bradley now would be spitting in Caldwell's face IMO
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Bradley.

New team philosophy. It's no insult to Caldwell who is a leader for sure I just think it's important to stress the change in the team.
    Agreed. You don't kick down the type of money we did and make the long term commitment to the player we have without making him captain. It's inevitable.

But in some ways this is a formality. They'll both be providing leadership out there regardless of who wears the armband.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. You don't kick down the type of money we did and make the long term commitment to the player we have without making him captain. It's inevitable.

But in some ways this is a formality. They'll both be providing leadership out there regardless of who wears the armband.
    Bradley should get captaincy because he makes tons of money? That's one helluva message to send to your team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Bradley should get captaincy because he makes tons of money? That's one helluva message to send to your team.
    It's not just the money, look at the total package. He has an established track record as a leader and he sustains a high level of performance. That casts a long shadow over anyone else who is going to be "captain" while he's on the same team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just the money, look at the total package. He has an established track record as a leader and he sustains a high level of performance. That casts a long shadow over anyone else who is going to be "captain" while he's on the same team.
    as far as I know, Bradley has never been captain of a team permanently, for what it's worth. Caldwell, 3.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until somebody from the dressing room indicates that is true, this is speculation.

Caldwell is the captain in name and role. That's not an opinion. Its fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy with the best angry finger point gets the armband.

Caldwell wins:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until somebody from the dressing room indicates that is true, this is speculation.

Caldwell is the captain in name and role. That's not an opinion. Its fact.
    Well we will see, but Bradley wore the captain armband in our first preseason game, did he not?

Let's see what happens when we have a full squad, but my money is on Bradley taking it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Random journeymen should not be the captain of this soccer team.
    Toronto FC is trying to set a new standard of quality with this club.
    Therefore the captain should also set a new standard of quality.

I vote Bradley

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well we will see, but Bradley wore the captain armband in our first preseason game, did he not?

Let's see what happens when we have a full squad, but my money is on Bradley taking it.
    only because Caldwell wasn't playing. and if you're going to use a preseason game to make a point, Jeremy Hall wore the captain's band in 2nd half
    though it was telling that Bradley wore the captain's band, not DeRo

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THA BUTCHA View Post
    Some Random journeymen should not be the captain of this soccer team.
    Toronto FC is trying to set a new standard of quality with this club.
    Therefore the captain should also set a new standard of quality.
    Messi is captain of whom again?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messi is captain of whom again?
    or Ronaldo...

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I agree original point still stands, Messi and Ronaldo are both captain of their national teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard of giving a captaincy to a brand new player.