Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is it right here: preparation. Watching some of these media guys ask questions makes me think they just rolled out of bed and winged it. I know this isn't the most important story you'll be covering all year, but do it some justice.

This is why the bloggers get so much traction, because they actually care enough to know the details!
    This, and the fact that they are the ones most likely to ask the hardball questions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate the way Godfrey already has suggested answers built-in to his questions, haha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    This, and the fact that they are the ones most likely to ask the hardball questions.
    John Molinaro just by his nature asks the hard questions. I think for the most part Toronto media of all sorts are pretty good covering TFC. In at times when TFC was not a priority and in as result some general assignment types ended up on the beat is where it suffered.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cancelled my subscription to GOLTV because of Godfrey. I won't watch Interviews except for media scrums. I am sure he is a good guy, but if we want excellence at our club, that extends to the media and his style of questioning is brutal and phoned in. As the main guy interviewing our boys and all the extra attention expected, we need someone better. Sorry Godfrey...

(I am well aware he is the tfc lacky but still....the questions and the STYLE can and should be better.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeler's View on Yesterday

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=443659

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i was impressed with the obvious amount of preparation Paul Hendricks did; had no idea who he was before today, thought he was a new hire for goltv canada (and would have been happy had he been)...and you could see he had his sheets in front of him with information and questions he wanted to ask each of the different guys that sat down with him
    Hendricks is an old school pro. He's just a classy and intelligent interviewer. He does a very good job on Leafs TV.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE Gilberto's hope to score 25 goals: remember he scored 14 goals in 24 appearances last year in Brazil.

TFC plays at least 36 games this year. Assuming Gilberto, as a DP, plays at least part of every game, and if he only matches last year's strike rate, that's 21 goals. So he's basically hoping he will improve a bit over last year.

We shall see. Maybe MLS is a bit easier overall than the Brazilian league. Or maybe the defending is tougher. Or maybe the schedule & travel get to him and he doesn't perform as well as last year, etc. etc. But it's not an unreasonable comment for a striker, who you want to be a bit self-assured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    We shall see. Maybe MLS is a bit easier overall than the Brazilian league. Or maybe the defending is tougher. Or maybe the schedule & travel get to him and he doesn't perform as well as last year, etc. etc. But it's not an unreasonable comment for a striker, who you want to be a bit self-assured.
    From my observation, it depends on the area of the field. Midfield is lighter but the defenders and strikers will mix it up a fair amount. There will be an adjustment period, but he won't be shocked the first time he goes for a header and gets squashed by a defender coming in with a hard challenge.

Unquestionably their level of play is higher, but this is a different league. The style contrast isn't as drastic as say between Argentina - MLS but there is still ground to cover.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    John Molinaro just by his nature asks the hard questions. I think for the most part Toronto media of all sorts are pretty good covering TFC. In at times when TFC was not a priority and in as result some general assignment types ended up on the beat is where it suffered.
    That's very kind of you to say.

But I don't think I ask hard questions - I think I ask simple and direct questions. I try not to go into much preamble when I ask a question or provide whoever I am talking to with an answer when I form my question (ie: "You've struggled lately. Why?" As opposed to, "You've struggled lately. Is that because you're still adapting to the team?"

Generally speaking, I think the beat reporters who cover this team collectively do a good job. But we all could be a bit better; there's always room to improve. myself included.

As for the scrums, I generally try to stay away from them (I was only in two of them yesterday: Nelsen and Bez). Instead, I try to get the guys 1-on-1 just after the scrums. I find that works better and I tend to get better answers and get the players to open up a bit more.

Just my two cents.

John

BTW - I agree about the use of "talk about" by reporters. Better to ask a question, in my humble view.
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 02-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    That's very kind of you to say.

But I don't think I ask hard questions - I think I ask simple and direct questions. I try not to go into much preamble when I ask a question or provide whoever I am talking to with an answer when I form my question (ie: "You've struggled lately. Why?" As opposed to, "You've struggled lately. Is that because you're still adapting to the team?"

Generally speaking, I think the beat reporters who cover this team collectively do a good job. But we all could be a bit better; there's always room to improve. myself included.

As for the scrums, I generally try to stay away from them (I was only in two of them yesterday: Nelsen and Bez). Instead, I try to get the guys 1-on-1 just after the scrums. I find that works better and I tend to get better answers and get the players to open up a bit more.

Just my two cents.

John

BTW - I agree about the use of "talk about" by reporters. Better to ask a question, in my humble view.
    i agree John, the simple and direct question is key to any interviews, it keeps it on subject and allows for you to get the insight and info you want.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    RE Gilberto's hope to score 25 goals: remember he scored 14 goals in 24 appearances last year in Brazil.

TFC plays at least 36 games this year. Assuming Gilberto, as a DP, plays at least part of every game, and if he only matches last year's strike rate, that's 21 goals. So he's basically hoping he will improve a bit over last year.

Setting goals for yourself isn't bad. There's a difference between "I think I can get 20 goals this year" compared to "I want to try and score 20 goals".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone remember when Maurice Edu had that poll up on his site in 2008 that read something like this:

How many goals will I score this year?
    [ ] 20 - 25
    [ ] 15 - 20
    [ ] 10 - 15
    [ ] 5 - 10

Complete with overlapping categories and no <5 option, usually common amongst defensive midfielders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was pretty funny when Mattocks predicted he was going to score 20 goals last season
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano