Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Greetings from Port City Firm - Wilmington

On behalf of the Port City Firm, the official supporters group of Wilmington Hammerheads FC, I wanted to post our greetings to TFC fans, the Red Patch Boys and other groups and express our excitement about our partnership for the upcoming season. We started our group in 1997, a year after the Hammers got started. We are a pretty energetic group and we pride ourselves in providing an advantageous atmosphere for our boys, while giving the opposing teams all they can handle.

Just a little about us. The Hammers were sold this past fall, so we have a new ownership and GM. They've brought a fresh excitement to the club and we're encouraged by the way the offseason has progressed. Our coach David Irving has been with the club since 1998. The Hammers won a league championship in '03 and recently made it to the championship game in 2012. I give Irving a lot of credit as he's put together some great teams on some very lean budgets, and made some great seasons are some very shallow benches. We only missed the playoffs last year by a point, but the boys were in really good form and had a good run in the last few weeks of the season.

The crowds at Legion Stadium usually get to bout 3,000. We've had more or less, but for the size of the city, that's a pretty good crowd. If you look around the league, our numbers are usually in the top 3 for attendance. It is an artificial surface, but brand new in 2012, so it's a modern surface. The stadium is a local stadium used by the county/city for high school (American) football and other sports, but its quite cozy for our purposes. The Firm are right on the rail overlooking the team benches and the official area. It gives us a great perch to watch the game and chant and cheer for the team.

We have 4 guys signed as of right now. (Training opens March 3rd with season opener April 5.) Paul Nicholson, with us for a few years now, and IMO, is the heart-and-soul of the team. A blue collar guy, central midfield role, plays his guts out every game. (Check out his goal versus Portland last season in the US Open Cup at the 3:07 mark- yes we 1.lost horribly and 2 had horrible, toxic color away jerseys, but they're gone this year) Tom Parratt who is more of a utility guy, strong in defense but was used in midfield and forward also last season - a great guy and also been with the team a few seasons now. Yahaya Musa, another fan-favorite, was with the team two seasons ago, strong outside defenseman. Troy Cole, very athletic, quick defensive minded midfielder, who was also with us two seasons ago, rejoined the team for 2014. Look forward to any dialogue on who you all think TFC might be sending out to the Port City.

I know being a good 800 miles/1287km apart (used Google) get togethers are probably not likely, but if any of you guys make it down this way, give us a heads up. We'll be pulling for the Reds to have a good campaign and we'll take care of the boys that make it down this way to help us out.

PCF FB Page- https://www.facebook.com/groups/portcityfirm/

PCF after a 2012 Win over Orlando - http://youtu.be/9H0Fo0exVMs

Cheers and HTID!

- Dave G, VP of The Port City Firm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome,

I have seen a few fans talk about potentially going down to Rochester for one of the two games WHFC play.

We will be interested to see who we loan out to you guys; there is some exciting young talent on our team that isn't MLS ready, but are past the academy level.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard, we are looking forward to the relationship
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quick usl-pro quesiton...is there a salary cap and are there international player limits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG- PCF/WHFC View Post
    Our coach David Irving has been with the club since 1998.
    TFC and Wilmington, a match made in heaven no doubt.

Shortly after the partnership was announced I found a nice article off twitter written by a Hammerheads blogger of some sort which served to introduce the city and team to TFC fans. It was a great piece but unfortunately I just can't find it again...

One question I have: how come you guys only have 4 players on the roster? What happened to the rest of your players from last year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    quick usl-pro quesiton...is there a salary cap and are there international player limits?
    I've never seen anything regarding either, so to my knowledge neither exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of our Firm members writes regularly for Reckless Challenge (Sara Jenkins) - and here's our local news guy, Tom Grady - he would be the inside guy on the Hammers. http://sports.blogs.starnewsonline.c...r-hammerheads/

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

One question I have: how come you guys only have 4 players on the roster? What happened to the rest of your players from last year?
    Most guys are on 1 year contracts. Our turnover from year to year is pretty high. Unfortunately, we're very tight with the purse strings, and so we're pretty use to not having a whole bunch of guys signed yet - that's just the nature of the beast here. In years past to save some $, management has waited guys out who couldn't get on elsewhere, and then able to sign them cheaper.

Some of the other USLPRO clubs have a larger budget (Orlando, Richmond, Charleston) and they're able to sign guys early and for more $.

That said, since we can't always compete $$$ wise, the partnership and availability of players on loan from TFC is a welcomed lifeline for us. We're ecstatic to have an affiliation this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's awesome that you guys have such great support. This affiliation will be beneficial for both teams. I'm actually glad that you guys don't have a lot of players signed, because we have a bunch of guys that need playing time.

Likely loan candidates include:

• Quillan Roberts - GK - 19 years old, has only played in the odd reserve game last two years, previously represented Canada at the U-17 World Cup (and scored a goal too!)
    • Manuel Aparicio - M - 18, signed from the academy last year, plays attacking mid
    • Jordan Hamilton - F - 17, signed this year, scored 2 goals at the U-17 World Cup last year
    • Emery Welshman - F - 22, drafted out of Oregon State last year, only one appearance for TFC
    • Kyle Bekker - M - 23, drafted 3rd overall in 2013, definitely talented but seems to get lost in games, only made 11 appearances for TFC but gets regular call ups to Canada's senior team
    • Other possibilities are the 3 players we drafted this year - Nick Hagglund, Daniel Lovitz, Kene Eze - but neither one has signed a contract for TFC yet

I'll be watching all the Hammerheads games I can, good luck on the season and take care of our guys!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On behalf of the Port City Firm, the official supporters group of Wilmington Hammerheads FC, I wanted to post our greetings to TFC fans, the Red Patch Boys and other groups and express our excitement about our partnership for the upcoming season. We started our group in 1997, a year after the Hammers got started. We are a pretty energetic group and we pride ourselves in providing an advantageous atmosphere for our boys, while giving the opposing teams all they can handle.

Just a little about us. The Hammers were sold this past fall, so we have a new ownership and GM. They've brought a fresh excitement to the club and we're encouraged by the way the offseason has progressed. Our coach David Irving has been with the club since 1998. The Hammers won a league championship in '03 and recently made it to the championship game in 2012. I give Irving a lot of credit as he's put together some great teams on some very lean budgets, and made some great seasons are some very shallow benches. We only missed the playoffs last year by a point, but the boys were in really good form and had a good run in the last few weeks of the season.

The crowds at Legion Stadium usually get to bout 3,000. We've had more or less, but for the size of the city, that's a pretty good crowd. If you look around the league, our numbers are usually in the top 3 for attendance. It is an artificial surface, but brand new in 2012, so it's a modern surface. The stadium is a local stadium used by the county/city for high school (American) football and other sports, but its quite cozy for our purposes. The Firm are right on the rail overlooking the team benches and the official area. It gives us a great perch to watch the game and chant and cheer for the team.

We have 4 guys signed as of right now. (Training opens March 3rd with season opener April 5.) Paul Nicholson, with us for a few years now, and IMO, is the heart-and-soul of the team. A blue collar guy, central midfield role, plays his guts out every game. (Check out his goal versus Portland last season in the US Open Cup at the 3:07 mark- yes we 1.lost horribly and 2 had horrible, toxic color away jerseys, but they're gone this year) Tom Parratt who is more of a utility guy, strong in defense but was used in midfield and forward also last season - a great guy and also been with the team a few seasons now. Yahaya Musa, another fan-favorite, was with the team two seasons ago, strong outside defenseman. Troy Cole, very athletic, quick defensive minded midfielder, who was also with us two seasons ago, rejoined the team for 2014. Look forward to any dialogue on who you all think TFC might be sending out to the Port City.

I know being a good 800 miles/1287km apart (used Google) get togethers are probably not likely, but if any of you guys make it down this way, give us a heads up. We'll be pulling for the Reds to have a good campaign and we'll take care of the boys that make it down this way to help us out.

PCF FB Page- https://www.facebook.com/groups/portcityfirm/

PCF after a 2012 Win over Orlando - http://youtu.be/9H0Fo0exVMs

Cheers and HTID!

- Dave G, VP of The Port City Firm
    Just wanted to say I really appreciated you taking the time to engage us TFC faithful and this was an interesting read, to be sure.

Have to agree with mowe's estimation on which players will likely be sent your way, with the exception of Nick Hagglund; whilst Nick remains a possible candidate, I do feel like Nelson (our head coach) is higher on him than, say, Ryan Richter.

I'll also keep tabs on how you guys are doing and I appreciate you giving us your word on taking care of our boys.

Best of luck; certainly grateful for this affiliation, myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    It's awesome that you guys have such great support. This affiliation will be beneficial for both teams. I'm actually glad that you guys don't have a lot of players signed, because we have a bunch of guys that need playing time.

Likely loan candidates include:

• Quillan Roberts - GK - 19 years old, has only played in the odd reserve game last two years, previously represented Canada at the U-17 World Cup (and scored a goal too!)
    • Manuel Aparicio - M - 18, signed from the academy last year, plays attacking mid
    • Jordan Hamilton - F - 17, signed this year, scored 2 goals at the U-17 World Cup last year
    • Emery Welshman - F - 22, drafted out of Oregon State last year, only one appearance for TFC
    • Kyle Bekker - M - 23, drafted 3rd overall in 2013, definitely talented but seems to get lost in games, only made 11 appearances for TFC but gets regular call ups to Canada's senior team
    • Other possibilities are the 3 players we drafted this year - Nick Hagglund, Daniel Lovitz, Kene Eze - but neither one has signed a contract for TFC yet

I'll be watching all the Hammerheads games I can, good luck on the season and take care of our guys!
    Just to add to this, could also see Elias Roubus being signed from the academy and put out on loan, the ongoing joke around here is we will loan you guys Matias Laba so we can bend our way around the 3 DP player rule (don't actually expect that to happen)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very glad to have a link like this. We have been hoping for something like this for years - too many promising young players getting cut loose due to lack of playing time.

You guys should consider a road trip up this way for a match sometime this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Shortly after the partnership was announced I found a nice article off twitter written by a Hammerheads blogger of some sort which served to introduce the city and team to TFC fans. It was a great piece but unfortunately I just can't find it again...
    That's me!

http://ontherail.net/north-meets-sou...w-partnership/

Hi all, I'm Sara, secretary of the Port City Firm here in Wilmington. Some of you may have already made contact with me on Twitter, I run the @PortCityFirm account. And I also blog at ontherail.net about the Hammerheads (and soccer in general sometimes).

On the heels of Dave's welcome, it's really awesome to see you guys so psyched about our partnership! We are hugely excited about it too, and looking forward to this upcoming season more than ever.

That's all I've got right now - it's an early morning for me at work and my brain is still rather flat. Nice to meet you all!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome Wilmington supporters, looking forward to our affiliation. We've needed this for a long time. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your results this year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One of our Firm members writes regularly for Reckless Challenge (Sara Jenkins) - and here's our local news guy, Tom Grady - he would be the inside guy on the Hammers. http://sports.blogs.starnewsonline.c...r-hammerheads/

Most guys are on 1 year contracts. Our turnover from year to year is pretty high. Unfortunately, we're very tight with the purse strings, and so we're pretty use to not having a whole bunch of guys signed yet - that's just the nature of the beast here. In years past to save some $, management has waited guys out who couldn't get on elsewhere, and then able to sign them cheaper.

Some of the other USLPRO clubs have a larger budget (Orlando, Richmond, Charleston) and they're able to sign guys early and for more $.

That said, since we can't always compete $$$ wise, the partnership and availability of players on loan from TFC is a welcomed lifeline for us. We're ecstatic to have an affiliation this season.
    We know what that's all about, but hopefully that's behind us now.

Can we expect there to be a sharing of resources beyond players ? ie - WHFC use of TFC Academy, TFC coaches spending time in Wilmington and such ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may visit Wilmington during the season. I have relatives who live in Myrtle Beach, can do a visit and catch a game too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    We know what that's all about, but hopefully that's behind us now.

Can we expect there to be a sharing of resources beyond players ? ie - WHFC use of TFC Academy, TFC coaches spending time in Wilmington and such ?
    I think there is some coaching exchange as part of affiliation deal.

Sounds like TFC can dump all the youngsters and part timers outside matchday 18 to Wilmington.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's great to form this relationship and thanks for reaching out.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Michael Jordan ever shown up at one of your games?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big names we get as a club are great and all, but this to me is the real establishment that TFC are looking to become a good club. Having an affiliate to develop talent is pretty massive considering how crazy the reserve league is / was.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, were glad to have you guys aboard.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look forward to catching as many Hammerhead games as I can on the new Youtube feed (which was a great idea by USLPro btw!)

I'm actually kind of glad you guys don't have a full roster filled out.
    It will hopefully allow us to send the players we want, and have them get playing time.

For example, I think we would definitely want to send young GK Q. Roberts, but it probably wouldn't have made sense if you guys already had an established #1.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a joke of course, but what ARE the rules regarding salary hit & DP spots, if TFC were to send Laba to Wilmington?

Wouldn't be good for Laba's development obviously. On the other hand, if money is tight in Wilmington, you wouldn't really need 11 players on the field if Laba plays there, 9 or 10 would do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Wilmington fans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome lads and ladies.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the board, and best of luck this year!
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's in for a giant RPB road trip to Wilmington? Road Warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am of the age of the internet, but it still freakn cool to be able to connect with people so far away and be able to collaborate with complete strangers on a common cause

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there free streams of decent quality for USL matches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Are there free streams of decent quality for USL matches?
    USL announced that all games will be streamed for free on Youtube.
    As for quality... I guess we'll find out.