Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a roof. Actually I want a sexy ass roof. Not some crappy just stuck on roof. But give me a sexy ass roof and giddy up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put this elsewhere. This is what is coming, I'd wager.

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a wild idea: Canada wins the 2026 bid for the World Cup. MLSE commits to a large percentage of the costs associated with a brand new 70000 seat stadium at Downsview (or where ever works on the outskirts). The stadium is used for the tournament with the long term tenants being a split between the Argos and Toronto's new NFL team. BMO gets modest upgrades as a stop gap measure in the coming years and hopefully the tax payers aren't hung out to dry in the process.
    Last edited by MartinUtd; 02-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    The thing about the roof is, it's only supposed to cover the seating areas, not the entire field. You'll still get that "sun coming out" moment and you'll still get wet depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Otherwise I see a few sparse sentimental reasons that are misguided at best. Sure we were loud in 2007 but imagine how much louder we would have been with acoustics. And the Vancouver game? That was cancelled due to lightning, not rain.
    have to agree......really important not to completely cover the stadium and have loads of sky though. Also really want those corners filled in.......want it packed all through that makes it cozy and all for one , .....definitely like the elements...and still need proof that the cheap seats will have a roof....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    Would a roof really make it more intimate? That's one of those qualitative observations that's really hard to prove until it's been done.

But yes, I'm totally coming from a point of Nostalgia here, but there's no denying that the atmosphere has been a contributing factor to our gameday experience, and that atmosphere has always been outside.

I know it's apples to oranges, but how was the atmosphere at the Skydome CCL matches? Good, but not great. Sometimes on the road the experience is great, and other times just good. I'm just not sold that a roof will make the experience better.
    parky skydome sucks because its all cement , crazy distant from the field , poor angled sight lines and purposely made small size seats so they could shoehorn over 50,000 people in there....can't sit more than two innings there.....it's not really the roof , ya it should be open much more...but I guess thats it's the time period and it's dated design . Hate it but at the baseball world series it was loud and electric.........it's always about people and their committed numbers...we certainly need air and sky .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only legitimate argument against a roof is if the cost of said roof will be built into our ticket price in the years ahead

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nothing anybody has indicated has said ANYTHING about it being a dome like thing.

Apart from the obvious grass growing issue, and the cost involved, TL was very clear in saying "a roof over the fans" when talking to the media of late.
    Do you actually think before you post or do you just spew the first shit that comes out of your mouth?

Parky's initial post - which is what I was referring to and actually mention in my post - makes reference to both Skydome and the ACC and the types of environments these closed stadiums provide. He also mentions the fact that sound would not travel outside the stadium - which implies it could be closed a roof. He also mentions the fact that supporters would be protected from the elements - which is not 100% true given the fact that an open stadium would still allow rain, sleet snow to hit supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for a roof over the fans, but not over the pitch. I'm sure TL can make sure there will be no roof over the supporter's section either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think biggest issue about a roof and closed in corners at BMO field is it would help keep out some of that wind. The rain wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't for those brutal winds that rip across that lake and straight to BMO field on some days. It even effects the play on the field. Anyone who waves a flag knows it is shit on those days, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I think biggest issue about a roof and closed in corners at BMO field is it would help keep out some of that wind. The rain wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't for those brutal winds that rip across that lake and straight to BMO field on some days. It even effects the play on the field. Anyone who waves a flag knows it is shit on those days, lol.
    For sure. I remember the downpour game against Columbus. Man that flag must have felt like it was 50 pounds after all that and the wind on top didn't make it any easier. Surprised I held on to it as long as I did with no gloves.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rain has never been a problem for me, in fact, games have always been more enjoyable in rough weather it seems.

But the Sun. Oh! The Sun! It just kills me in the summer time.

Why, if I had my way...

Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get less wet in the rain, more shielding from the sun, and a roof will help make the place louder on match day. Good enough for me.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay... consider me sold on a roof*.

*As long at BMO never feels closed in like the Ricoh or fully indoor like the Dome/ACC.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    okay... consider me sold on a roof*.

*As long at BMO never feels closed in like the Ricoh or fully indoor like the Dome/ACC.
    I think it's a pretty safe bet that there won't be a roof over the pitch. Tim is pretty keen on maintaining a good soccer environment and he's probably getting design ideas based on traditional football stadiums around the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. I'm all for the roof, but after getting in the south end last year, two of my favourite games of all time were the comeback against Dallas and the win over Columbus, screaming in the rain. Probably had more to do with the game itself, but the rain was always part of it. Here's hoping better on field product makes us care less about braving the elements.