Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pickering, ON
    Posts
    15,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I listed to the interview that Leiweke did with the Fan last night and he sounded as if the Argos to BMO with out without MLSE owning them was a done deal as it appears to be part of his pitch in getting the government onboard with their plans to renovate BMO. They're quickly killing the good feelings that they've earned with me because there's nothing that I want less than to see the Argos at BMO under any circumstance for any reason. I'd take no roof, no Defoe, no Bradley if it meant no Argos. Once the Argos move in, the entire future of TFC is changed forever - it can never go back once those changes are made. Without Defoe/Bradley we'd still suck but we'd at least still have future options.

  3. #3
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Enjoy this season. It'll be the last as it is.
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I listed to the interview that Leiweke did with the Fan last night and he sounded as if the Argos to BMO with out without MLSE owning them was a done deal as it appears to be part of his pitch in getting the government onboard with their plans to renovate BMO. They're quickly killing the good feelings that they've earned with me because there's nothing that I want less than to see the Argos at BMO under any circumstance for any reason. I'd take no roof, no Defoe, no Bradley if it meant no Argos. Once the Argos move in, the entire future of TFC is changed forever - it can never go back once those changes are made. Without Defoe/Bradley we'd still suck but we'd at least still have future options.
    Wow. I couldn't disagree more. As for the future being changed forever, it's highly presumptuous to assume it will be in negative sense. We could very well end up with one of the premier soccer venues in MLS when all is said and done.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 116
    Posts
    828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Wow. I couldn't disagree more. As for the future being changed forever, it's highly presumptuous to assume it will be in negative sense. We could very well end up with one of the premier soccer venues in MLS when all is said and done.
    THE hope is we will end up with a premier venue, soccer is always going to be the number 1 tenent at BMO - because we are more visible internationally, will have more friendlies with big teams big money. pointy ball is not like that.

    also folks what if the argos were here since day 1? would you not have bought seasons tickets?

    I truly agree that this may end up with us having the best soccer stadium in mls! imagine no more wait lines at the washrooms!!! enclosed stadium!!!

    i think its time our memberships embraces the argos, and starts working proactively with mlse in ensuring that TFC and its supporters are looked after...hey maybe we can negotiate the supporters getter our own entrance...storage facilty?
    Last edited by redcard; 01-30-2014 at 11:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    3,683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You don't invest a 100 million dollars into your soccer franchise to immediately screw around with the overall experience.

    I have faith in TL that we will end up with a much nicer stadium & a roof which we have all cried about for years with minimal effect if any of having the Argos involved.

    Start digging.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,967
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    You don't invest a 100 million dollars into your soccer franchise to immediately screw around with the overall experience.

    I have faith in TL that we will end up with a much nicer stadium & a roof which we have all cried about for years with minimal effect if any of having the Argos involved.

    Start digging.
    You sum up my thoughts exactly.

  8. #8
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    16,996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Love the Weedman's quote: "I don't know why they needed to sign two DP strikers when they have me on top."

    The "greatest finisher of the modern era" knows how to tell a good joke.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Poshawa
    Posts
    13,569
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I listed to the interview that Leiweke did with the Fan last night and he sounded as if the Argos to BMO with out without MLSE owning them was a done deal as it appears to be part of his pitch in getting the government onboard with their plans to renovate BMO. They're quickly killing the good feelings that they've earned with me because there's nothing that I want less than to see the Argos at BMO under any circumstance for any reason. I'd take no roof, no Defoe, no Bradley if it meant no Argos. Once the Argos move in, the entire future of TFC is changed forever - it can never go back once those changes are made. Without Defoe/Bradley we'd still suck but we'd at least still have future options.
    Is he talking about you Greg? lol.....

    Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN9m
    TFC fan today said they'd rather ditch Bradley, Defoe and winning team than share a venue with Argos. That, my friends, is lunacy.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,239
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    You don't invest a 100 million dollars into your soccer franchise to immediately screw around with the overall experience.

    I have faith in TL that we will end up with a much nicer stadium & a roof which we have all cried about for years with minimal effect if any of having the Argos involved.

    Start digging.
    This and you'd also have to think that the team who makes money would take precedent over the only who perennially loses money.

    Also, TL openly said that getting TFC to be a worldwide brand was important and there has already been Asian tour rumors. Right now, because of all the moves this off season, TFC is known in a lot of places. You think anyone, anywhere outside of Canada, ex-pats excluded along with the odd American has a clue who the Argos are? TL is about thinking big. Anyone who puts the Argos in that category is deluding themselves. Argos are a stop gap move to get the NFL here. Nothing more, northing less. I don't think TL is stupid enough to trash a franchise they plan on holding on to long term (and that they just resuscitated mind you) for one that they'll likely fold in one way or another in 5 years or so. If all works out for them that is.

  11. #11
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Is he talking about you Greg? lol.....




    Congrats, CretanBull. You are now a source for Kurt Larson. I mean...my consolations..
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pickering, ON
    Posts
    15,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post



    Congrats, CretanBull. You are now a source for Kurt Larson. I mean...my consolations..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Is he talking about you Greg? lol.....
    Ha! It sure sounds like it!

    In my defence, he mischaracterized my point of view. My point is that once the Argos are in they are in for good and that changes things forever for us. On the flip side, adding Bradley and Defoe aren't the only ways we have of improving our team (they are the quickest). So if our options are the Argos + a quick fix for TFC or no Argos and a slower re-build for TFC, I'd take the later. So I'm not giving up on "a winning team", I'm choosing a slower build over a quick fix. Considering that MLSE were willing to spend the money on multiple DPs without bringing in the Argos, it wouldn't have to be a dramatically slower build either. For effect, I created a set of false options that doesn't exist in the real world. It's not as if it's one or the other - we can have DPs and a roof without the Argos.

    We've gone from an absolute promise of grass, to a probable replacement of a grass/plastic hybrid; if the players (present and future) are fine with that it then doesn't bother me, but I'm really not sure what the consensus is among players on hybrid surfaces. And yes, I am fully aware of all of the stadiums that use it...it doesn't affect Arsenal's ability to attract players, but we're not paying Arsenal-like wages and there isn't a ruby team in the Emeriates. Does it affect Reading's ability? There's definitely been concerns expressed about the playing surface at Madejski Stadium.

    We know that in addition to a CFL field being larger (longer and wider) it also requires more space beyond the end-zones and along the side-lines. For a soccer game there's probably about 15-20 people (subs, coaches, trainers etc) per team in the bench area. For a CFL game it's probably around 50-60. You can't accommodate them without significant changes. A retractable South stand doesn't solve the problems that the addition of a CFL team brings, and to tell us that is hogwash.

    The bottom line is that we know this move isn't about improving the experience at BMO or securing anything for TFC - it's about dumping the Argos somewhere to clear the way for MLSE's NFL dreams.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Is he talking about you Greg? lol.....

  14. #14
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Whitby
    Posts
    3,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Could an NFL team in Toronto and an expected NFL type stadium mean the Argos move to this new football stadium down the road? It would seem easier to modify the lines from NFL to CFL over CFL to soccer?

    Also, will the extra seats at BMO be red?

    Dom.
    Supporting TFC, MLS Champions and the best team in MLS history (and no longer soul sucking), since 2007!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Wow. I couldn't disagree more. As for the future being changed forever, it's highly presumptuous to assume it will be in negative sense. We could very well end up with one of the premier soccer venues in MLS when all is said and done.
    +1. I'm no fan of the Argos being at BMO, but considering what TL has done so far I'm willing to let this thing play out a little further before doom and gloom sets in. I'm optimistic that this will work out for the best (not something said often)

  16. #16
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Kickass!
    Posts
    5,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Wow. I couldn't disagree more. As for the future being changed forever, it's highly presumptuous to assume it will be in negative sense. We could very well end up with one of the premier soccer venues in MLS when all is said and done.
    That's some pretty strong kool-aid you gulped down!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    That's some pretty strong kool-aid you gulped down!
    Ah, the traditional Kool-Aid response. I digress, please carry on with the Chicken Little routine.

  18. #18
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Kickass!
    Posts
    5,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Ah, the traditional Kool-Aid response. I digress, please carry on with the Chicken Little routine.
    And in the meantime, you carry on believing that Phineas Tim's semen tastes like cotton candy, and I'll continue to keep my optimisim guarded until it's fully earned, mmmmkay? There are no trophies rewarded for big name signings, the proof of whether or not they'll work will be determined on the pitch with a still green coach, and this too-good-to-be-true plan of renovating BMO Field has a better chance of becoming a disaster than a success.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    And in the meantime, you carry on believing that Phineas Tim's semen tastes like cotton candy, and I'll continue to keep my optimisim guarded until it's fully earned, mmmmkay? There are no trophies rewarded for big name signings, the proof of whether or not they'll work will be determined on the pitch with a still green coach, and this too-good-to-be-true plan of renovating BMO Field has a better chance of becoming a disaster than a success.


    I think I will take the word of an accomplished former stadium construction magnate regarding the viability of ground sharing over the senseless whining and cynicism of a person such as yourself. Enjoy.

  20. #20
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Kickass!
    Posts
    5,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post


    I think I will take the word of an accomplished former stadium construction magnate regarding the viability of ground sharing over the senseless whining and cynicism of a person such as yourself. Enjoy.
    [mod edit]

    There are more "whining and cynical" people here who've been told in the past eight years that there would be light at the end of the tunnel for TFC. And a lot of us have been just as optimistic about that as you are. And what ends up happening is that light is from an oncoming locomotive that runs us over. A lot of us have grown sick and tired of this.

    Every MLS team, past and present, has made the postseason, except our side. Reputations have been ruined here. We haven't won shit in this league. We have become the laughing stock of MLS.

    So you'll excuse me if I don't share you [mod edit] optimisim right now about Phineas Tim. After eight years of getting [mod edit], my faith has to be earned. And it will take more than a few big name signings to do that. And if you can't grasp that, then say hello to my ignore mode [mod edit]
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-31-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: delete insults
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,967
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    [mod edit]

    There are more "whining and cynical" people here who've been told in the past eight years that there would be light at the end of the tunnel for TFC. And a lot of us have been just as optimistic about that as you are. And what ends up happening is that light is from an oncoming locomotive that runs us over. A lot of us have grown sick and tired of this.

    Every MLS team, past and present, has made the postseason, except our side. Reputations have been ruined here. We haven't won shit in this league. We have become the laughing stock of MLS.

    So you'll excuse me if I don't share you [mod edit] optimisim right now about Phineas Tim. After eight years of getting [mod edit], my faith has to be earned. And it will take more than a few big name signings to do that. And if you can't grasp that, then say hello to my ignore mode [mod edit]
    You might want to cool it just a tad.

    No one is giving TFC the Cup today. But you can't deny the fact that they've had a very good offseason. It's not just big names. They've added MLS vets in Morrow and Jackson. They signed a 24 year old striker who scored 14 goals in Brazil last year. If you're in to symbolic gestures, and I get the feeling you're not, then DeRo coming back is also very significant.

    TFC were the laughing stock of MLS, no doubt, but the reaction around the league has been very positive about this offseason. Things have changed around here. We started training camp with a full roster for crying out loud. Will it translate into a playoff appearance? Who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But giving credit where credit is due for the work done so far doesn't mean we enjoy Tim Leiweke's semen, although I'm sure it tastes exemplary.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-31-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: edit quote

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GUELPH
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    You might want to cool it just a tad.

    No one is giving TFC the Cup today. But you can't deny the fact that they've had a very good offseason. It's not just big names. They've added MLS vets in Morrow and Jackson. They signed a 24 year old striker who scored 14 goals in Brazil last year. If you're in to symbolic gestures, and I get the feeling you're not, then DeRo coming back is also very significant.

    TFC were the laughing stock of MLS, no doubt, but the reaction around the league has been very positive about this offseason. Things have changed around here. We started training camp with a full roster for crying out loud. Will it translate into a playoff appearance? Who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But giving credit where credit is due for the work done so far doesn't mean we enjoy Tim Leiweke's semen, although I'm sure it tastes exemplary.
    I agree for the most part no body is talking champioships here, But lets give TL some credit , Like you said we actually have a full roster at camp for the foirst time,

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pickering, ON
    Posts
    15,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post


    I think I will take the word of an accomplished former stadium construction magnate regarding the viability of ground sharing over the senseless whining and cynicism of a person such as yourself. Enjoy.
    You're assuming that he has the best of intentions for TFC & the Argos. The problem is that no one believes that MSLE's purchase of the Argos has anything to do with anything other than removing them as an obstacle to a NFL team. With that being the prize, he's not going to let the Argos ruin his master-plan and if that means changing things for TFC then so be it. Can it work? Yeah, probably. Is it ideal? Not by a long shot. Will it forever change our experience? Absolutely.

    Leiweke is well on the record acknowledging the importance and value in having a soccer specific stadium, he's publicly made all of the same arguments that many of us here have made. But now that the Argos are a thorn in his NFL dream side he suddenly doesn't think that SSS are integral to the future and success of the league? He's arguing against himself.

    The reality is that he knows exactly how important a SSS is, he's just willing to settle for 2nd best for us if it means clearing the path for a NFL team (that might not even come anyway).

    I'm trying really hard to stay positive and give the new guys a clean slate and a fresh start but when it comes to this issue at least we're seeing more of the same old lies and spin.

    This group and most TFC supporters have been against the Argos at BMO for years because we understand what it means. A slick talking new President with big dreams doesn't change any of the issues that we literally protested against. The best they can say is that it's not as bad as it would have been, but that doesn't make it good.

  24. #24
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Kickass!
    Posts
    5,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    You might want to cool it just a tad.

    No one is giving TFC the Cup today. But you can't deny the fact that they've had a very good offseason. It's not just big names. They've added MLS vets in Morrow and Jackson. They signed a 24 year old striker who scored 14 goals in Brazil last year. If you're in to symbolic gestures, and I get the feeling you're not, then DeRo coming back is also very significant.

    TFC were the laughing stock of MLS, no doubt, but the reaction around the league has been very positive about this offseason. Things have changed around here. We started training camp with a full roster for crying out loud. Will it translate into a playoff appearance? Who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But giving credit where credit is due for the work done so far doesn't mean we enjoy Tim Leiweke's semen, although I'm sure it tastes exemplary.
    I'm not saying TFC didn't have a good off season. I'm just tempering my enthusiasm until we see just how this team jells. Can they succeed? Sure they could. But it's also quite possible they could fall short of expectations. A lot depends on what Ryan Nelson does. This guy's still learning on the job as a coach. It's also important to know how Dafoe will adjust playing in MLS with its different style of play and gruelling travel.

    We've seen examples where teams go out and spend a boatload of money on talent and that talent ends up failing them. With the bad karma TFC has had over the years, all I'm saying is I'm from Missouri.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

  25. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Barried Alive
    Posts
    18,158
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    That's some pretty strong kool-aid you gulped down!
    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Ah, the traditional Kool-Aid response. I digress, please carry on with the Chicken Little routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    And in the meantime, you carry on believing that Phineas Tim's semen tastes like cotton candy, and I'll continue to keep my optimisim guarded until it's fully earned, mmmmkay? There are no trophies rewarded for big name signings, the proof of whether or not they'll work will be determined on the pitch with a still green coach, and this too-good-to-be-true plan of renovating BMO Field has a better chance of becoming a disaster than a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    [mod edit]

    There are more "whining and cynical" people here who've been told in the past eight years that there would be light at the end of the tunnel for TFC. And a lot of us have been just as optimistic about that as you are. And what ends up happening is that light is from an oncoming locomotive that runs us over. A lot of us have grown sick and tired of this.

    Every MLS team, past and present, has made the postseason, except our side. Reputations have been ruined here. We haven't won shit in this league. We have become the laughing stock of MLS.

    So you'll excuse me if I don't share you [mod edit] optimisim right now about Phineas Tim. After eight years of getting [mod edit], my faith has to be earned. And it will take more than a few big name signings to do that. And if you can't grasp that, then say hello to my ignore mode [mod edit]
    Have you guys lost your minds? Bring the language down about ten notches please.

    - Scott
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-31-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: edit quote
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •