Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you have new info or examples of the latest reference, that particular reference is the Houston ground that gets chewed up by high school gridiron.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Yeah it is a bit of a mish mash of things but I don't see the people who have bought condos there being happy with a NFL stadium being put in their backyard.

Woodbine back in the day would have been good given the proximity of the 401 and 427. But I don't know if that would work.

Traffic by Dowsview would be a disaster though it would be relatively accessible with public transportation.

But given the initiatives being implemented by those running the Park and the mandates required, I don't see it ever being used for a large stadium of any sort.
    there is a ridiculous amount of room around Downsview and that general area. Office/industrial park buildings can be easily and cheaply demolished. The condos are pretty much just clustered around Downsview Station. And we musn't forget that there will be a be new subway extension going to Sheppard East (the bendy part of Sheppard), Finch West, York University, Steeles, and into vaughan

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    ..the Seahawks and Pats still had soccer markings on the pitch in their playoff games.
    Which leads to an interesting question: what if the Grey cup were on a weekend when there was an MLS playoff game?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    BTW, I'm not sure what sort of stadium people are picturing, but for $150M it won't be anything great. This "EPL style stadium" is going to be a lot more Ayresome Park than it will be Liberty Stadium.
    dude

feels about right

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    there is a ridiculous amount of room around Downsview and that general area. Office/industrial park buildings can be easily and cheaply demolished. ..
    Only on the land south of Sheppard. All the industrial land north of Sheppard is privately held.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Again, those questioning the legitimacy of Leiweke's claims regarding maintaining the integrity of the soccer pitch should really look into his professional background before scrutinizing his comments. He would not be making assurances unless he has done his due diligence, and he has the connections to substantiate his comments.
    This is not a witch hunt out of nowhere.

I'm not beyond acceptance if I'm presented with a groundshare system that works. This isn't difficult to appease us fretting over pitch quality. Tell us a specific example (brand) in use for a season and we can find out how reliable it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stability of the Argos franchise most certainly is a prerequisite as far as the NFL is concerned.
    I don't believe that. I think it's just talk. The NFL let their own "historic" franchises abandon cities if the money is right.

Far more important to the NFL is an individual owner rather than a corporate owner. And that individual has to be someone who can bring in huge amounts of government money. Even the NFL knows that its billion-dollar cost to get eight home games a year would never get approved by a faceless board of directors.

If Lieweke couldn't get a team in LA, what are the chances he can get one here? So let's hope he really can make it so that during a TFC game we have no idea that a CFL team has played there the week before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Which leads to an interesting question: what if the Grey cup were on a weekend when there was an MLS playoff game?
    I wish we have that problem..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One point on the lines thing- I know there are lots of Jays fans here. How often during Jays games do you notice football lines? I don't think erasing the lines is a big problem if the teams want to do it. Seattle doesn't want to do it, fair play to them. But they aren't an example of anything, they made a conscious decision to leave the lines on the field. Tim L is saying they'll be removed, and it doesn't seem like that is hard to do

I just don't see how the field holds up. TFC needs a soft, fairly lush surface. The Argos need a firm/fast one. And as has been pointed out ad nausium, CFL football is tougher on a pitch than rugby is because of how localized play is. 1 game at Wembly is hardly the same thing (and it's not like the soccer teams love the pitch there either)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious I don't know the answer to question: is there any indication that outside of the forums of supporters groups that people following TFC are aware of, let alone focused on, the Argos to BMO issue?

Has the good feelings of two weeks ago gone? Or is the discussion of BMO and the Argos a within the bubble thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, those questioning the legitimacy of Leiweke's claims regarding maintaining the integrity of the soccer pitch should really look into his professional background before scrutinizing his comments. He would not be making assurances unless he has done his due diligence, and he has the connections to substantiate his comments.
    I think anybody who wants to take what this guy says without a bucket of salt is being foolish. He is consistently shopping messages and spinning. He really is a AAA+ salesman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    One theory I have put elsewhere: they're going to knock BMO down and rebuild it, either on the same site or Ontario Place, in such a way that it can be expanded to NFL capacity if and when.
    How is that though?

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/01/...-ontario-place

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Serious I don't know the answer to question: is there any indication that outside of the forums of supporters groups that people following TFC are aware of, let alone focused on, the Argos to BMO issue?

Has the good feelings of two weeks ago gone? Or is the discussion of BMO and the Argos a within the bubble thing?
    I'm sure you could find someone but most people who care about this issue is within this subset. But that's how it is with most things specific to a sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    One point on the lines thing- I know there are lots of Jays fans here. How often during Jays games do you notice football lines? I don't think erasing the lines is a big problem if the teams want to do it. Seattle doesn't want to do it, fair play to them. But they aren't an example of anything, they made a conscious decision to leave the lines on the field. Tim L is saying they'll be removed, and it doesn't seem like that is hard to do

I just don't see how the field holds up. TFC needs a soft, fairly lush surface. The Argos need a firm/fast one. And as has been pointed out ad nausium, CFL football is tougher on a pitch than rugby is because of how localized play is. 1 game at Wembly is hardly the same thing (and it's not like the soccer teams love the pitch there either)
    Oh they wanted to do it and they always try to, but in that case there simply wasn't enough time.

"Removal" isn't always what it's being pictured as. We can see that in other MLS stadiums. Sometimes you simply can't get all the crud off the grass so they literally paint over the markings with green so the damage is less noticeable for soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stability of the Argos franchise most certainly is a prerequisite as far as the NFL is concerned.
    MLSE, Rogers and the NFL do not want the Argos' blood on their hands.

100% truth.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    If Lieweke couldn't get a team in LA, what are the chances he can get one here? So let's hope he really can make it so that during a TFC game we have no idea that a CFL team has played there the week before.
    Proposed elsewhere by someone else was the point that the NFL wanted San Diego moved and not a new LA team. Looking at it from that point of view I'd guess it's more likely the Bills move here than the Chargers or Raiders move to LA.

Just a possibility. I don't follow the sport myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think anybody who wants to take what this guy says without a bucket of salt is being foolish. He is consistently shopping messages and spinning. He really is a AAA+ salesman.
    Shopping messages definitely, but spinning? As in being deceitful or misleading? How so?

I don't buy all of the things he's put out there about this situation but I do think he's being honest. I remember reading some comments here before speculating that all his talk of signing big name DPs and Defoe was just an act to increase TFC's media coverage and whatnot. Turns out it wasn't.

Doesn't seem like the type to me. He's a pretty straight shooter from what I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    MLSE, Rogers and the NFL do not want the Argos' blood on their hands.

100% truth.
    And they want the Colts in Baltimore. And the Rams in LA. If it helps people think these companies have some other interest besides money, fine. None of their past actions have supported that belief.

So what's stopping a Toronto NFL team? Why hasn't it happened yet? Every city that wanted an NFL team - either expansion like Jacksonville and Carolina or that lost one like Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland - got one. All they had to do was find an owner the NFL would accept to put up the money. LA hasn't done that and Toronto hasn't done that. Why not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    With regards to the condition of the actual surface, we can.

For the markings and advertisements we cannot.

TBH the surface quality isn't that much of a concern for me. They can make it work.

The markings on the other hand are a completely different beast. Hell the Seahawks and Pats still had soccer markings on the pitch in their playoff games.
    The markings can be removed, it just takes them time to basically power wash the stuff off and repaint. But that's only the case for pure turf, grass doesn't respond as well, which is where the green paint comes it.

Regarding the condition of the surface: to clarify, I'm talking about a situation where the solution has worked and the environment is comparable (football, overlapping schedule, lots of games). If you can think of one, please fire away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not the only person to suggest it. Among other contentious issues such as single entity ownership and a viable stadium, the NFL will not come to Toronto if it is perceived as the death knell of a vulnerable Argos franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see it. One is mass market, the other is a niche play. It's not the same customer base or business dynamic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see it. One is mass market, the other is a niche play. It's not the same customer base or business dynamic.
    Billy articulated it well. The NFL would not want to be perceived as having Argos blood on their hands, and image is everything in the NFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Shopping messages definitely, but spinning? As in being deceitful or misleading? How so?
    Do you see any Italian DP on our roster? Not that I care, but it's one example of many.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    One theory I have put elsewhere: they're going to knock BMO down and rebuild it, either on the same site or Ontario Place, in such a way that it can be expanded to NFL capacity if and when.
    The building is not empty, CSA has its offices in there. I think that is a big wrinkle in the redevelp model.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Billy articulated it well. The NFL would not want to be perceived as having Argos blood on their hands, and image is everything in the NFL.
    I agree they are vested in the CFL, but I don't think you can equate the Argos to the CFL as a whole, nor use the health of an Argos franchise as a bellwether of their ability to run a much larger operation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you see any Italian DP on our roster? Not that I care, but it's one example of many.
    I think you're being overly critical of Leiweke considering the unprecedented transformation that has taken place this off season. It's completely unjustified.

I was a skeptic when he was initially hired, but he has made bold promises and over delivered in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    One point on the lines thing- I know there are lots of Jays fans here. How often during Jays games do you notice football lines? I don't think erasing the lines is a big problem if the teams want to do it. Seattle doesn't want to do it, fair play to them. But they aren't an example of anything, they made a conscious decision to leave the lines on the field. Tim L is saying they'll be removed, and it doesn't seem like that is hard to do)
    Baseball and Football have separate turf that's laid in Rogers Centre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was talked about extensively the last time Toronto made noises about an NFL team. I don't know if I could even find the old articles about it, but the NFL did not want to be seen as damaging the CFL. The solid existence of the CFL is beneficial to the NFL. It gives players a place to play and keep their skills up, it gives players a place to make a small living, CFL players do make the leap into or back into the NFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree they are vested in the CFL, but I don't think you can equate the Argos to the CFL as a whole, nor use the health of an Argos franchise as a bellwether of their ability to run a much larger operation.
    I agree, but it's irrelevant. The NFL only cares about public perception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know how the whitecaps get on playing at the same time as the lions?