Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm paraphrasing, but the "there's nothing money and technology can't solve" bit from TL reassured me that it will be done right. He is known for stadium building after all, and would be fully aware of what can be done. Nothing is back of the napkin with this guy.

Has anyone thought that a movable south stand might be full of awesome bouncy vibrationness?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So will the soccer fans be further from the pitch now? Any mention of that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCAURORA View Post
    So will the soccer fans be further from the pitch now? Any mention of that?
    Stands on rollers to close gap because of bigger football dimensions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing those grassmaster adverts, I'm not as worried about the grass anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KevBaller View Post
    Stands on rollers to close gap because of bigger football field.
    but will they roll the stands onto the grass to keep the same distance as we have now at bmo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sorry, did he just say they want to add a raptors training area at BMO field as well??
    I don't think he referred to it being built at BMO Field, just wants to build a practice facility for the Raps because the one they are at right now is quite small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCAURORA View Post
    but will they roll the stands onto the grass to keep the same distance as we have now at bmo
    Pretty sure, from what I understand the stands will be rolled onto the grass to keep the distance the same. He mentioned having "the perfect setup" for both soccer and football so it shouldnt be a problem.
    Last edited by KevBaller; 01-29-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So when is this reno supposed to take place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed that segment of PTS. I was pleasantly surprised that McCown addressed the issue that has this board in a frenzy right off the bat.

The more I learn about Leiweke's vision for a renovated facility, the more I am on board with it, even if it includes the Argos as a secondary tenant.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think that the stadium will look nice.

I am firmly in the no public funds should be used for it (or any stadium) camp. As nice as a roof is, there are much better uses for that public spending.

If they want it, spend their own money on it. The Argos don't have to come. They don't have to renovate it. All of these are choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    Fine list BUT, how many stadiums on this list have American football being played in?
    So none that have football and American handegg together. It's not tested and there's no history of it working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    So none that have football and American handegg together. It's not tested and there's no history of it working.
    Well we might be the first. Doesn't mean it's won't work. I'm skeptical we used just natural grass but I have a lot more optimism with Grassmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also don't some of the European stadiums have rugby played on them? I don't exactly know how often or if its a weekly thing for them, but i'm pretty sure some of those have had rugby played on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banjax View Post
    Also don't some of the European stadiums have rugby played on them? I don't exactly know how often or if its a weekly thing for them, but i'm pretty sure some of those have had rugby played on them.
    Yes, quite a few on that list are multi-purpose for Soccer/Rugby.

From Rudis article

Hybrid surfaces have proven to be effective in soccer stadiums that regularly host other sports as well, most notably Liberty Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium. Each stadium plays host to a Premier League side and a pro Rugby team, with all the tenants playing fall-spring schedules. At both venues, the pitch has held up remarkably well.

However, rugby isn't CFL football, and gridiron tends to do more localized damage between the hash marks and along the sidelines. It's going to take some work to convince local soccer fans, this writer included, that the technology has advanced enough to allow for a CFL team and an MLS side to share a natural surface with zero repercussions to the turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can they possibly do this to one of the fields at Downsview first or something and actually show us it can hold up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this was discussed in the expansion thread, Rugby uses the full pitch where pointyball uses mostly the middle and destroys the center of the field...

In addition nobody mentions the season we're going to have to endure watching TFC play on the indoor/outdoor carpet at the Skydome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait for our ticket prices to increase so we can pay for a renovation that allows the Argos to use our stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if the worry is the Argo's, not TFC, ruining the field, don't we have to make sure these football teams have a decent field??

Also, Wembley has hosted a few NFL games with this grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aviva Stadium in Dublin uses a version of hybrid grass named Fibrelastic that the national football and rugby teams play on.

Player injury can be frustrating for a chairman, manager, player and fans, but the cost of an out of action player can also be financially damaging to a club. With this in mind Mansfield Sand Company developed the Fibrelastic rootzone system to ensure a more forgiving, resilient playing surface. Fibrelastic rootzone comprises silica sand, organic matter, rigid polypropylene fibres and flexible elastane fibres which produce an 'elastication' of the pitch. As a result the surface is less tiring and more 'player friendly' with injuries to knees, ankles and lower backs less likely to occur. It also makes the surface less prone to disturbance, giving ball players a better grip.

As a testimony to the player-friendly nature of the technology, the Aviva stadium's first major game played on the Fibrelastic pitch was Ireland XI v Man United on August 4th, after which Michael Owen commented that it was "the best pitch he had ever played on".

Fibrelastic is also great news for the groundsmen at the Aviva stadium, as the pitch is less prone to divots and scar damage, without compromising its excellent hard-wearing properties. Damage to the surface is minimal, and the stadium even hosted the Leinster v Munster rugby game, only five days after a large concert in the stadium that required the pitch to be covered for ten days, without needing to be re-turfed. Drainage is not compromised by these hard-wearing benefits, and in fact those who maintain to Fibrelastic pitches have noted that aeration is not needed as often

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One person that cant be blamed is Leiweke. If us fans want the goods, we have to realize that this stadium is not owned by the team, everything has to come with the approval of the city. From what I know, the city wants Argos at BMO, if ensuring the security of the Argos will help Toronto land an NFL team, if an upgraded BMO Field will land us a Winter Classic, it is Leiweke's duty as President of not only TFC but president of MLSE to do this and we cant blame him for his competency. His job is to bring not only on field success to all the teams he overseas but financial success. He has been nothing short of amazing as president. He has instilled a winning culture and high level of expectation for all of the teams he overseas.

If this has to be done, there is no better man then Leiweke to oversee that this project is done as well as possible. That may mean that the turf may not be at optimal conditions, but we have to live with it and I think this is the only concern. He has made it clear, fan experience will not be compromised, and besides the turf..supporters section??..I have full confidence in Leiweke that this project will turn out as well as his restrictions afford him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Do you get rug burn?
    I don't know - I've never played on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    But if the worry is the Argo's, not TFC, ruining the field, don't we have to make sure these football teams have a decent field??

Also, Wembley has hosted a few NFL games with this grass.
    One game a year is not a good benchmark.

When the Argos are on a home stand and we are going back and forth between us and them for 2-3 weeks the grass or even this hybrid turf will take a beating that has never been done.

There's no example of it working. Probably for a good reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about it now though i really don't see the hyrbid grass being that big of a problem, like already mentioned some NFL teams do already play on it and it hold's up fine. With the proper scheduling i really don't see it falling apart

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    I can't wait for our ticket prices to increase so we can pay for a renovation that allows the Argos to use our stadium
    Our ticket prices will go down eventually. 30,000 is a lot of tickets to fill. Though your point is well taken. We will bare some of the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all really depends how well we do at the time of expansion I think.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One game a year is not a good benchmark.

When the Argos are on a home stand and we are going back and forth between us and them for 2-3 weeks the grass or even this hybrid turf will take a beating that has never been done.

There's no example of it working. Probably for a good reason.
    How does the pitch hold up with a footy/rugby ground share like Wigan has? There is a number of shared facilities in UK that are shared by the two sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundshare

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KevBaller View Post
    One person that cant be blamed is Leiweke. If us fans want the goods, we have to realize that this stadium is not owned by the team, everything has to come with the approval of the city. From what I know, the city wants Argos at BMO, if ensuring the security of the Argos will help Toronto land an NFL team, if an upgraded BMO Field will land us a Winter Classic, it is Leiweke's duty as President of not only TFC but president of MLSE to do this and we cant blame him for his competency. His job is to bring not only on field success to all the teams he overseas but financial success. He has been nothing short of amazing as president. He has instilled a winning culture and high level of expectation for all of the teams he overseas.

If this has to be done, there is no better man then Leiweke to oversee that this project is done as well as possible. That may mean that the turf may not be at optimal conditions, but we have to live with it and I think this is the only concern. He has made it clear, fan experience will not be compromised, and besides the turf..supporters section??..I have full confidence in Leiweke that this project will turn out as well as his restrictions afford him.
    Wow. How's that kool-aid taste?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)