Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind trying.
    MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

props to armen for asking what we were all thinking.
    i'm sure he got himself into a far bit of trouble over it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    props to armen for asking what we were all thinking.
    i'm sure he got himself into a far bit of trouble over it.
    Can't imagine why. It was the one big question sitting out there in the wake of these new DP signings - aside from how it felt to get a call from Drake, anyway.

I hope Toronto find a way to keep Laba, but unless we have a vast trove of allocation I'm not aware of, I just don't see how it happens. On the bright side, selling or loaning him could help us reinforce our team elsewhere.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Can't imagine why. It was the one big question sitting out there in the wake of these new DP signings - aside from how it felt to get a call from Drake, anyway.

I hope Toronto find a way to keep Laba, but unless we have a vast trove of allocation I'm not aware of, I just don't see how it happens. On the bright side, selling or loaning him could help us reinforce our team elsewhere.

- Scott
    I'm hoping they've some tricks left in the magic box. I've been impressed, to say the least, by the moves they are making. It's been a long time (if ever) since TFC management has walked the walk.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best part of that article is the comment section. I love how basically all non LAG/Crew MLS fans are on board with us and the ambitious the clubs shown. They're right, MLS should be rewarding the ambitious. I said it as soon as this was announced, I don't think Laba will go anywhere. Either we'll magically find some allocation or a rule will be altered or Leiweke will give Garber a bag of magic beans but somehow, someway, I don't think we lose Laba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the comments on the article :"Remember when everyone freaked out at LA for having four DPs when Donovan, Beckham, Juan Pablo Angel and Robbie Keane were technically on the same roster for, like, a day? "The league gives LA whatever they want rabble rabble rabble!"

Hopefully they make it work somehow I want TFC to lobby for an additional DP slot or some rule that excludes these type of younger players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm hoping they've some tricks left in the magic box. I've been impressed, to say the least, by the moves they are making. It's been a long time (if ever) since TFC management has walked the walk.
    I think you said this a couple of days ago: I too am completely fine if the price of Bradley is that TFC have to move Laba.

He is a nice looking prospect, and I hope they figure out a way to keep him. Loaning him out sounds like the only likely way to make this work.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very positive news indeed, I am so glad to hear they are looking at solutions to keep Laba

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll need Laba when Bradley is in Brazil.

Do we have enough allocation money to pay down his contract? Any amateur capologists out there who know?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you trade for another team's DP spot? I'm guessing no?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really hope we manage to hang on to him. For all the positive moves we've made, getting rid of him just seems like something the old regime would do. The lad is quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I really hope we manage to hang on to him. For all the positive moves we've made, getting rid of him just seems like something the old regime would do. The lad is quality.
    Yes he is good now and in 3-4 years he will great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim B (paraphrased) quotes from in his interview that just went down on The Fan 590:

"We're gonna try to keep Matias. Matias is a DP and there are certain rules in the league you just can't get around. We're gonna work with the league. I'm not a magician, the league won't do me any favours they wouldn't give to anyone else. But we're going to work with the league to try to keep him."

Asked about the possibility of a loan, perhaps to Roma: "You have to look at all options. Loaning him internationally is an option. But we're motivated to keeping him in the league."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They obviously see him as a major asset not just for TFC but as an investment into something special.

I wouldn't be surprised if they loan him to another MLS club given the recent rule changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loaning him and holding on to his rights for 2015 is an acceptable fall back position IMO. Perhaps the new CBA will make some room.

To me perfectly honest I much rather do that than have some bullshit special rule made up, too much of that already and it's embarrassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Tim B (paraphrased) quotes from in his interview that just went down on The Fan 590:

"We're gonna try to keep Matias. Matias is a DP and there are certain rules in the league you just can't get around. We're gonna work with the league. I'm not a magician, the league won't do me any favours they wouldn't give to anyone else. But we're going to work with the league to try to keep him."

Asked about the possibility of a loan, perhaps to Roma: "You have to look at all options. Loaning him internationally is an option. But we're motivated to keeping him in the league."
    If he isn't on our squad, I don't want him in the league. Letting another MLS team use our star player just doesn't sit right with me. I would much prefer an international loan, if we can't keep him around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much allocation money do we need to make Laba a non-DP?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    How much allocation money do we need to make Laba a non-DP?
    my guess is depends on whether transfer fees get amortized over option yrs too, or just guaranteed years. hard to say without knowing details of contract, but assuming Laba is on standard MLS 2+2 option contract, a salary of 500k (I don't see good SA players coming for anything less) and rumoured 1.5 mil transfer fee. DP cap hit is supposedly 375k in 2014.

if transfer fee is amortized over just 2 years, 750k fee + 500k salary = 1.25 mil year minus 375k DP cap hit is 875k in allocation money required. that'd about blow whatever allocation money TFC has left, and be rather poor use of allocation fund.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    Yeah. We could get a starting central midfielder. Ha ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    If he isn't on our squad, I don't want him in the league. Letting another MLS team use our star player just doesn't sit right with me. I would much prefer an international loan, if we can't keep him around.
    I'd be fine if he was loaned to say Chivas USA, they don't seem to have the resources to upgrade their talent on the field, other than adding an elderly Mexican League guy in Bofo. At least Laba would be able manage ok in that L.A. environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    my guess is depends on whether transfer fees get amortized over option yrs too, or just guaranteed years. hard to say without knowing details of contract, but assuming Laba is on standard MLS 2+2 option contract, a salary of 500k (I don't see good SA players coming for anything less) and rumoured 1.5 mil transfer fee. DP cap hit is supposedly 375k in 2014.

if transfer fee is amortized over just 2 years, 750k fee + 500k salary = 1.25 mil year minus 375k DP cap hit is 875k in allocation money required. that'd about blow whatever allocation money TFC has left, and be rather poor use of allocation fund.
    So we're screwed! I guess best solution is to loan Laba somewhere for a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Laba .... but I am not getting my hopes up they are keeping him based on comments from Nelson or Tim B. If they have to loan or trade/sell him they would be foolish to state that in the press and potentially drive down his value.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think you said this a couple of days ago: I too am completely fine if the price of Bradley is that TFC have to move Laba.

He is a nice looking prospect, and I hope they figure out a way to keep him. Loaning him out sounds like the only likely way to make this work.
    Yep. You make the Laba for Bradley swap all day, every day. But having them both is a nice dream.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yep. You make the Laba for Bradley swap all day, every day. But having them both is a nice dream.
    Hearing a lot if rumblings (aka. whining) that a restructured Laba contract is forthcoming. Looks like more possibility than dreaming for now.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba gets loaned, and we loan in a player from Roma while we figure out his situation for the long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon let's get creative...

Pay him a simple salary and tell him to look under the cushions in the players lounge not knowing there's a few hundred grand in there...

Or MLSE buys a house in the beaches, sells it to him for $1...

Or accidentally leave a wallet in the washroom with a few hundred grand in it...

Or one of his relatives wins the 50/50 at BMO Field every game all season long...

There's gotta be a way around this...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe MLS can clarify what the next CBA would look like. Would it contain an extra DP slot? If so, we can restructure his contract and downgrade it a non-DP and then play him more next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Maybe MLS can clarify what the next CBA would look like. Would it contain an extra DP slot? If so, we can restructure his contract and downgrade it a non-DP and then play him more next year.
    ahahahaha. yeah. in your dreams man. not laughing at you, but the thought of MLS giving away CBA info is hilarious
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    C'mon let's get creative...

Pay him a simple salary and tell him to look under the cushions in the players lounge not knowing there's a few hundred grand in there...

Or MLSE buys a house in the beaches, sells it to him for $1...

Or accidentally leave a wallet in the washroom with a few hundred grand in it...

Or one of his relatives wins the 50/50 at BMO Field every game all season long...

There's gotta be a way around this...

Carts...
    Rigging the 50/50 draw to supplement the cap is just the type of out of the box scumbaggery this club needs.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that TFC might not be on the hook for the full transfer fee.