Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default The lockeroom - Nelsen's biggest challenge?

I wonder if the largest challenge that faces Nelsen isn't tactics and depth but may in fact be simple human nature.

Athletes are competitive. They are proud. We like to think that when they hit the pitch, they are all pulling together for a common goal. And they might.

But conflicts are bound to arise. And off the pitch, they all have financial and social pressures of families and future ambitions.

TFC's offseason strategy has established the largest gap in player salaries in MLS history.

At most the difference in salaries at MLS Champs and MLS Finalists SKC and RSL is approximately $300k. The gaps between most of the starters is much less.

In Toronto, the gap between Caldwell and Defoe is millions. Benedik, Henry, Morgan, Bloom, Hall, Osorio will all earn less in a season than Bradley earns in 4-5 days of work.

In two weeks, Bradley will earn what DeRo makes in a year.

The lockeroom culture was arguably fractured over the years with DPs or Canadian American challenges.

Now the economic challenge has never been more striking and if finger pointing begins you have a natural divide amongst the most basic of human needs, economic resources.

Can Nelsen succeed with this challenge?
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-15-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this very thing this morning. Yes, I would say it's a challenge that Nelsen is going to have to face, to keep everyone fighting for the common goal. But it's up to the players as well to keep motivated. It's got to be tough for some players, knowing the guy next to you might be making more in one game than you are all season. You just don't see the same kind of disparity in other sports (well, actually, I guess there are cases in the NFL and NBA like that, but you don't have players in those leagues earning under $50K).
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 01-14-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd think one thing that would work in Ryan's favor is the fact that everyone speaks of him as a true players coach. I think that side came easy to him, as everyone lauded his leadership abilities as a player as well. IMO I am more interested about how his tactical game will evolve now with the players at his disposal.
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is a huge huge issue that almost every manager faces. But in MLS especially so. I don't know really if any manager could make someone making $39 000 a year happy if they're sitting next to someone making 6 500 000 a year for the same job. All he can really do is make sure everyone understands their role, accepts the limitations on what the club can pay people who aren't DPs and keep the DPs as humble as possible. Maybe suggest they only play the credit card game between the 3 of them when the team goes out for dinner

(On a human level, if I was Defoe or Bradley, it'd be hard to not offer to pick up cheques and help out the guys making less as much as possible. Especially the guys with families)

Edit* kind of lost the plot with my post. Point being is this is more on the players attitudes than anything the manager does. On a management level the key will be identifying problem spots before they become real issues in the locker room.
    Last edited by Waggy; 01-14-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Los Angeles can do it en route to two MLS Cups, we should be able to navigate the egos too.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the flip side:

For the low paid workhorse players... they need to realize that they are being paid based on the skill they bring to the pitch. If they want to earn more, they have to be better. Those few elite players are being paid big bucks because they have proven themselves at a high level. There are a lot of football players in the world, competition is fierce, and only a handful of those get to earn the mega dollars. If I were one of those $50K guys I would say to myself, "It's exciting to be playing with guys like Defoe and Bradley, and I'm going to use this as a chance to learn from the best, get better, and maybe I'll get a big paycheque one day".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen's biggest challenge is that Leiweke has personal relationships now with Defoe and Bradley (and maybe Dero).

These 3 or 4 guys and their entourages are running the club, that's modern sports life, let's not kid ourselves.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    On the flip side:

For the low paid workhorse players... they need to realize that they are being paid based on the skill they bring to the pitch. If they want to earn more, they have to be better. Those few elite players are being paid big bucks because they have proven themselves at a high level. There are a lot of football players in the world, competition is fierce, and only a handful of those get to earn the mega dollars. If I were one of those $50K guys I would say to myself, "It's exciting to be playing with guys like Defoe and Bradley, and I'm going to use this as a chance to learn from the best, get better, and maybe I'll get a big paycheque one day".
    This. Prime example from this team could be Bendik, who wasn't making much, hadn't done much, played very well all year and got paid at the end of it. Never heard him complain, just did his job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a player can't realize that he's not going to get 5 mil/yr, because he has nowhere the close to resume that Defoe and Bradley has, then he's a hopeless cause. (coughderocough) But if he plays well enough for couple of years, he can reach Zusi/Wondo/Gonzo level of salary at 500-600k, which is helluva a lot better than it was before. MLS used to resist giving DP label to domestic players, because DPs were seen as primarily a marketing tool. Now that's changed, so good players, regardless of where they came from, can be a DP and make a decent wage. If a player thinks he can get more, go to Europe or elsewhere. Except very few places have money to spend, so just how much better money is he going to make from going overseas?

Accepting the reality of the situation, that very few players in MLS has playing resumes of Henry/Defoe/Bradley, means they won't go around doing cheque signing celebrations. or break contract like Camilo did. What Nelsen and TFC must do is to tell the players that if they do well enough and a fair offer comes in, TFC will sell the player, or offer a better contract if possible. This gives an incentive for a player to work hard for a bigger pay, knowing that the team will consider their best interest.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No player on this team can claim to deserve millions of dollars. Defoe has scored over 150 Premier League goals and Bradley is the best player on the 14th ranked team in the world. These large salary disparities have existed before with LA, NY, etc. MLS players know they have to earn their due.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a locker room where individual and more importantly, team success is rewarded, where players are happy for his teammate who got a new contract instead of being jealous... That's the big challenge. I do think Nelsen has created a team that will play for him (nobody can say that the team gave up last season), though adding Defoe and Bradley changes the dynamic a bit. But Caldwell is a good captain. He's got a good head between his shoulders, and he has played in highest level for a while.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Creating a locker room where individual and more importantly, team success is rewarded, where players are happy for his teammate who got a new contract instead of being jealous... That's the big challenge. I do think Nelsen has created a team that will play for him (nobody can say that the team gave up last season), though adding Defoe and Bradley changes the dynamic a bit. But Caldwell is a good captain. He's got a good head between his shoulders, and he has played in highest level for a while.
    Off topic, but you think Caldwell will keep the armband with Bradley coming in? I kind of assumed it was Bradleys now. With Dero as a hockey style alternate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman27 View Post
    I'd think one thing that would work in Ryan's favor is the fact that everyone speaks of him as a true players coach. I think that side came easy to him, as everyone lauded his leadership abilities as a player as well. IMO I am more interested about how his tactical game will evolve now with the players at his disposal.
    Exactly. I'm more worried about players like DeRo than Defoe and Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Nelsen's biggest challenge is that Leiweke has personal relationships now with Defoe and Bradley (and maybe Dero).

These 3 or 4 guys and their entourages are running the club, that's modern sports life, let's not kid ourselves.
    What if RN becomes part of this entourage?
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If Los Angeles can do it en route to two MLS Cups, we should be able to navigate the egos too.

- Scott
    Yes but the main difference is LA went and got arguably the best N.American coach ever. Arena was/is the boss, and had the resume to back it up. Nelsen does not and at some point it is very legitimate concern that someone will question his abilities and qualifications (as a coach).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Off topic, but you think Caldwell will keep the armband with Bradley coming in? I kind of assumed it was Bradleys now. With Dero as a hockey style alternate
    Bradley has done shit for TFC. You gotta earn captaincy. And yes, I'm aware captaincy are gave away so cheaply in TFC.
    Caldwell has been in the trenches for TFC, and I think Nelsen relies on Caldwell heavily to keep the lads happy. Caldwell is a pro.

Bradley, if he stays after Caldwell retires, will also be a good captain. Bradley is also a pro, works hard.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Nelsen has had personal relationships outside of TFC with Defoe and DeRo for many years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley has done shit for TFC. You gotta earn captaincy. And yes, I'm aware captaincy are gave away so cheaply in TFC.
    Caldwell has been in the trenches for TFC, and I think Nelsen relies on Caldwell heavily to keep the lads happy. Caldwell is a pro.

Bradley, if he stays after Caldwell retires, will also be a good captain. Bradley is also a pro, works hard.
    Fair point, and very likely to be the case (maybe not until Caldwell retires but at least until the new guys are integrated and are only dealing with on field stuff, not fitting in to a new team/dealing with a new city). My thinking was that while Caldwell has done an admirable job, when you give Bradley 6 million a year to be your general, I just don't see the real point in assigning him to a role as a lieutenant. This year for once TFC really won't be lacking for leadership, that's for sure. The armband hopefully won't ever be given out by default ever again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning solves a lot of these issues. If we're winning games, the locker room will probably be just fine. It's when we're losing that you might hear things starting to come out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point, and very likely to be the case (maybe not until Caldwell retires but at least until the new guys are integrated and are only dealing with on field stuff, not fitting in to a new team/dealing with a new city). My thinking was that while Caldwell has done an admirable job, when you give Bradley 6 million a year to be your general, I just don't see the real point in assigning him to a role as a lieutenant. This year for once TFC really won't be lacking for leadership, that's for sure. The armband hopefully won't ever be given out by default ever again.
    not giving Bradley the armband is also going to make a point; you earn your place in this team, regardless of how much money or what your playing resume is. same with playing mins. I hope Nelsen has the balls to bench Bradley or Defoe if they don't perform. That's how you earn respect in the locker room. (Petke benched Henry once. Earned tons of respect and Henry and Petke kissed and made up later)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to imagine the locker room is super super super pumped to play next season. It will not be a problem unless the team implodes on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not giving Bradley the armband is also going to make a point; you earn your place in this team, regardless of how much money or what your playing resume is. same with playing mins. I hope Nelsen has the balls to bench Bradley or Defoe if they don't perform. That's how you earn respect in the locker room. (Petke benched Henry once. Earned tons of respect and Henry and Petke kissed and made up later)
    Totally agree. And tbh, I think Nelsen has both the stones and the gravitas to bench either of them should the situation call for it. Treating the DP's different from the rest of the squad will guarantee cause the problems the OP of this thread was trying to avoid. If I'm making 39 000 a year and I'm held to a higher standard of play/effort and behavior than the guys making millions, I'm going mental.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd imagine this is on the players more than Nelson.
    If these guys come in as big time charlies, then yeah, I can see the locker room becoming divided.

Beckham used to let guys live in his guest house while they played for the Galaxy. Pretty sure they didn't grumble about that much.
    Not that Defoe/Bradley have a guest house to loan out, but if they have the same type of attitude, then things will be fine.

(oh and a quick trip to Shoeless to pick up the first round wouldn't hurt either Mr. Defoe/Bradley )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ I was actually thinking that. If Bradley and Defoe wanted to do something nice, rent 6-7 units in a decent building near the training facility and offer em to the younger guys. It would be some really really cheap good will and also be a little perk of taking a lower salary to come to Toronto that skirts the salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ I was actually thinking that. If Bradley and Defoe wanted to do something nice, rent 6-7 units in a decent building near the training facility and offer em to the younger guys. It would be some really really cheap good will and also be a little perk of taking a lower salary to come to Toronto that skirts the salary cap.
    ??? Yes I suppose would be nice, but I'm pretty sure there isn't an unspoken part of a DPs contract is to be a mommy and daddy to the players on $40k or less. Beckham might have loaned out his guest house, but there are also stories of going out for team dinners and everyone looking at him to pick up the bill. At the end of the day the new DPs are under no obligation to do anything to subsidize their teammates and I don't think we should be expecting it. If anything MLSE dropping this crazy cash should indicate they could probably house every player in one of their condos if they felt like it. Hell they could build one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it all depends on performance. If the DP's perform like DP's, I don't think there will be an issue. The issues will start if they don't and the lower wage players are outperforming them. Imagine the situation if Defoe doesn't score and DeRo does....

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If we get on a winning roll, that will take care of a lot of it. And what Brad said.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only concern is Dero. I loved bringing him back, but my fear (and my gut just from seeing the way he looked yesterday) is that part of the reason he came back on a reduced rate was to finish unfinished business, ie prove he was worth the money all along, and do so by trying to out do the two highest paid players in MLS (and Gilberto). I hope I'm wrong, I love Dero, but there was something about the way he interacted with the coverage that rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't think you'll see the issue arise with the other guys as I think they'll respect that they aren't on the same level as the DPs. I fear Dero will have a chip on his shoulder though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanarkist View Post
    My only concern is Dero. I loved bringing him back, but my fear (and my gut just from seeing the way he looked yesterday) is that part of the reason he came back on a reduced rate was to finish unfinished business, ie prove he was worth the money all along, and do so by trying to out do the two highest paid players in MLS (and Gilberto). I hope I'm wrong, I love Dero, but there was something about the way he interacted with the coverage that rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't think you'll see the issue arise with the other guys as I think they'll respect that they aren't on the same level as the DPs. I fear Dero will have a chip on his shoulder though.
    as long as DeRo understands there is no I in Team, and he does what Nelsen tells him to, I don't care how he tries to outperform other players

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Defoe and Bradley are making the money they deserve.
    If these 44k a year guys want that kind of money, work hard, train hard, and prove yourself. Some players just aren't cut out to make that money. If they resent the rich and famous, pro football isn't for them. There will always be someone who's making more money and possibly doing less work - that's the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by Ivy; 01-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.