Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toronto FC Partners with Roma

As part of the Bradley announcement, TFC also mentioned a partnership wih Roma.

"At the same time the two clubs announced a long-term partnership that will see AS Roma play two friendlies at BMO Field over the next six years and includes a player development program for Toronto FC players at Roma’s training facility."

The last part of that, I think is very cool. Getting some of our young guys, some experience with a team like Roma, could be massive.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely a positive, especially for all the Canadians in our youth system. We need to expose those kids to higher levels of play and this is an excellent way to do it and do it sooner in their development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Partnership with Roma is the best part A lot of those young kids are to learn a lot especially from a team that has given the Soccer world the likes Totti, etc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    The Partnership with Roma is the best part A lot of those young kids are to learn a lot especially from a team that has given the Soccer world the likes Totti, etc
    and we can learn to dive! ...ok someone had to toss the joke in!

It's actually a really great partnership opportunity though

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post

Looking forward To the day when a Canadian is starting for A.S. Roma...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to be a little less hard on Friendlies if this is how we get players to play for us. We shouldn't have to but at this point these aquisitions for friendlies seems.... not bad.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'll have to be a little less hard on Friendlies if this is how we get players to play for us. We shouldn't have to but at this point these aquisitions for friendlies seems.... not bad.
    I see your point but I am not still fussy on friendlies....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually wondering, also, now that we are what some are calling and MLS Superteam (proof will be in the pudding) if TFC starts playing some friendlies around the world, a la the galaxy or redbulls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I genuinely hope that this is something more than sending a few kids over for a week. If there's any sort of real commitment for Roma to help us develop our young players then this could have a massive impact on the future of our team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'm actually wondering, also, now that we are what some are calling and MLS Superteam (proof will be in the pudding) if TFC starts playing some friendlies around the world, a la the galaxy or redbulls.
    Tim L said that TFC will be doing tours. Probably in Nov/Dec.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this partnership involves coaching workshops and initiatives as well

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I genuinely hope that this is something more than sending a few kids over for a week. If there's any sort of real commitment for Roma to help us develop our young players then this could have a massive impact on the future of our team.
    Euro teams have partnerships like this all over the world, but very few are active.

Though it'd make a difference if a TFC academy player ended up signing for AS Roma due to this partnership. And with Toronto's Italian community, it may actually happen.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Don't we have the final rounds of the MLS playoffs to worry about in Nov/Dec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Haha. Yes, we do.

I missed the Liewicke comment about tours.. but it's kind of encouraging just to think that some folks actually would want our team to come in.

It's an interesting little side note. And with the money they just spent, I'm sure they'll want to get some cash from some tour matches going forward.
    Last edited by Batman; 01-13-2014 at 12:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha. Yes, we do.

I missed the Liewicke comment about tours.. but it's kind of encouraging just to think that some folks actually would want our team to come in.

It's an interesting little side note. And with the money they just spent, I'm sure they'll want to get some cash from some tour matches going forward.
    hell, if DC United has tours (though in Indonesia due to their owner's connections), so can we.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    "TFC playoff tour 2014".
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good. Next up: partnership with Brazilian team so we can get shady on-the-cheap deals for Brazilian players that LA somehow manages to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Good to hear. We will need probably need a few friendlies in Nov/Dec 2015 to get ready for the World Club Cup

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! I'm noticing that the vocal anti-friendly crowd has gone a bit quiet in this thread and the Spurs one. Honestly, I'm still no big fan of mid-season friendlies, but the partnership with Roma is okay with me. Actually, it's okay with me as long as it's a legitimate "partnership". By that I mean I don't want TFC and it's properties to become simply another revenue stream for Roma, selling their brand alongside ours with no reciprocation.

All said, though, this should be good for us.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha. Yes, we do.

TFC at White Hart Lane? Now wouldn't that be a road trip...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    It's basically the opposite of how we got Pablo Vitti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    LOL! I'm noticing that the vocal anti-friendly crowd has gone a bit quiet in this thread and the Spurs one. Honestly, I'm still no big fan of mid-season friendlies, but the partnership with Roma is okay with me. Actually, it's okay with me as long as it's a legitimate "partnership". By that I mean I don't want TFC and it's properties to become simply another revenue stream for Roma, selling their brand alongside ours with no reciprocation.

All said, though, this should be good for us.
    The only problem I have with friendlies is that they're placed right in the middle of our season. It's risky to put our players out there for a friendly. Also, I don't enjoy seeing TFC lose big to a European team - only to have the euro snobs call TFC and MLS below acceptable standard for them. It doesn't help anyone - except MLSE's bank account. However, now that they've spent a fortune on TFC I have to accept the fact that they need to see a greater return on this investment. So overall I'm now okay with them. But I still won't go to one. I've got better things to do than watch a meaningless friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding friendlies I'd rather see a series of reserves vs reserves rather than a big first team spectacle. That doesn't sell tickets though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post

Might come in handy for the CCL matches and for the young kids trying to help out the CMNT... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    TFC at White Hart Lane? Now wouldn't that be a road trip...
    Good luck finding a pre-game bar. I remember seeing a lot with signs that said Spurs fans only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Lewiekie in charge it could happen