RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New MLS TV deal thread

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AS far as Canadian rights go I hope it goes back to Cbc, Nothing against TSN, Goltv. or Sportsnet, But CBC can delivery to more households than the 3 specialty networks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Given how they've practically lost major NHL rights to Rogers, that might make sense.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    AS far as Canadian rights go I hope it goes back to Cbc, Nothing against TSN, Goltv. or Sportsnet, But CBC can delivery to more households than the 3 specialty networks.
    With Bell and Rogers approving all the roster changes, and owning the club lol, it's in their best interest to ensure TFC airs on their networks. I don't think CBC has a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure hope the deal is worth a significant amount of money. That will mean a significant raise to the Salary Cap for 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...Media/MLS.aspx

Sources: New MLS TV Deal With Fox/ESPN Could Be Worth $70M Annually

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...Media/MLS.aspx

Sources: New MLS TV Deal With Fox/ESPN Could Be Worth $70M Annually
    huge, compared to previous deals (at 10mil per year with NBC IIRC). But that still only ends up about 3 mil per team, that is if the team gets all the TV deal money, which it won't. League will take a huge chunk. add in local TV deals though, I think the salary cap is going to go up significantly
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that the length of the TV deal will be dependent on how long a collective agreement MLS can negotiate with the player's union. My hope is for at least a $4.5million (preferably $5m) cap with a base salary increase to $60k. Then have a 5% increase in the cap (and salaries) each year of the agreement. That would be comfortable enough for the low-end players to live on and attract more talent and bring us in line with current Championship-Level team salaries by the end of the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I get the feeling that the length of the TV deal will be dependent on how long a collective agreement MLS can negotiate with the player's union. My hope is for at least a $4.5million (preferably $5m) cap with a base salary increase to $60k. Then have a 5% increase in the cap (and salaries) each year of the agreement. That would be comfortable enough for the low-end players to live on and attract more talent and bring us in line with current Championship-Level team salaries by the end of the deal.
    I don't know about CCC levels - that's still pretty high - but the days of guys earning 45k a season should be over. Multiple one year options should be going extinct as well, although Camilo and his agent might prematurely kill those as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    huge, compared to previous deals (at 10mil per year with NBC IIRC). But that still only ends up about 3 mil per team, that is if the team gets all the TV deal money, which it won't. League will take a huge chunk. add in local TV deals though, I think the salary cap is going to go up significantly
    I believe the current tv deal is 27 million annually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

def need a respectable minimum wage at least 60k. help canadian kids continue in soccer seeing even at entry level in mls you can make decent money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/16/sp...-channels.html

New deal is reportedly worth 70M annually, double the current deal. Here's hoping that the league can up the cap amount by a solid amount so not only will current players get a higher minimum wage but even more players can be brought in. Say a Cap limit of 4M with 3+1youth DP would be an excellent start .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/16/sp...-channels.html

New deal is reportedly worth 70M annually, double the current deal. Here's hoping that the league can up the cap amount by a solid amount so not only will current players get a higher minimum wage but even more players can be brought in. Say a Cap limit of 4M with 3+1youth DP would be an excellent start .
    I'd love this except 2 International DP, 1 domestic DP, and 1 youth DP.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice to see the value increased but recognize that the new deal is rumoured to include USMNT games, including the WC qualifiers.

Soccer United Marketing (SUM) in action here. A very valuable asset for investors in this league.

It may not have any impact on team budgets but certainly will provide nice dividends for the franchise operators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I'd love this except 2 International DP, 1 domestic DP, and 1 youth DP.
    This would suit us just lovely right now!

Obviously meaning we could sing a USA National as a 'Domestic DP' - and likewise American clubs with a Canadian...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."