Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Doug Gilmour trade was pretty big and worked out.
    I get the hype, but after 7 years of TFC futility, simple logic demands room for cynicism.
    That said, at year 1 prices, it's a cheap chance to take.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Seriously, across all sports - has there ever been a bigger day in Toronto sports history, in terms of new signings?
    Honestly? That's a tough one. I remember when Gretzky was finished in LA and everyone and their mom in the Toronto sports media figured he would find his way here. That news went on for a while even though he eventually went to St. Louis. More recently, I'd say the multiple Jays signings at the start of last season were big news as well.

Without a doubt, they are the biggest MLS signings of the year, though; and most soccer fans in Canada are probably well aware of that fact.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-14-2014 at 02:07 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    The Doug Gilmour trade was pretty big and worked out.
    I get the hype, but after 7 years of TFC futility, simple logic demands room for cynicism.
    That said, at year 1 prices, it's a cheap chance to take.
    fuck i loved the day gilmour became a Leaf, i'll never forget it, he was already one of my all-time-favourite-good-guys ... and i must admit, i got a boner yesterday too

BONER
    Last edited by lobo; 01-14-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to the nw season also but we got two diffilcult road games to start. Seattle is not a easy place to start, and our third game is in Salt Lake a place TFC have akways had major bad luck.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not be surprised if Defoe misses that first game in Settle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would prefer if he did to be honest. I think we should bench all our key players in games where there is turf. All we need is another Koevs level of injury.

Sorry, I'm just super paranoid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS should have abolished artificial field turf. It's a disgrace to the game, and it puts players at risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    MLS should have abolished artificial field turf. It's a disgrace to the game, and it puts players at risk.
    I was looking at it yesterday because I was curious where Turf was still being used, and I was surprised that there are only four left. Considering three of the four are in the west, I'm not totally opposed to resting guys in those games, except they are three top teams in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver (New England being the one other). The problem for the league banning it though is that two of those are shared facilities with the Seahawks and the Patriots who aren't going to start putting grass in their stadium because the league says so, and BC Place isn't going to go to the expense of putting grass inside. I have no idea why Portland however hasn't made the switch to grass, that one is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving that the buzz is back.

It feels a lot like when you cheat on your girlfriend because you're bored and maybe even a little bit disgusted and then she finds out and you're like, 'shit that was a big mistake, why'd I do that,' and you spend the next few months trying to get her back and when she finally says yes and you have sex again and you're like, 'wow that was almost as good as it was the first time.'

Amirite guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Could do without the 90 min on turf but playing in front of big crowd at CLink might make a good impression. Should be in the squad even if he only gets a cameo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flush, do you know the guy who has the Section 110 Banner?
    Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Hi...

"Alright folks... Now it's our turn to step up!

we can't be crying foul all this time and not show up to the Home Opener - PROPER

Members... Check out the banner section... Now.

We need people, we need banner ideas, we need banner painting days, and we need $$$

There will only be one day that DeFoe & DeRo premier at BMO.... We either make this day into the History books for our club or make it just another day that we showed up to watch a game. I'm going with the former... Get into the section banner section with your contact info and all... When we mobilize ourselves to paint we want to do this en masse on the double."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one in my avatar

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Loving that the buzz is back.

It feels a lot like when you cheat on your girlfriend because you're bored and maybe even a little bit disgusted and then she finds out and you're like, 'shit that was a big mistake, why'd I do that,' and you spend the next few months trying to get her back and when she finally says yes and you have sex again and you're like, 'wow that was almost as good as it was the first time.'

Amirite guys?
    You are a terrible person.

Just kidding. But really.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange for the TFC fans here in Ottawa. Amazed that TFC seems to be moving forward with so few "bumps in the road" so to speak on the run up to TFC 8.0. It is an amazing time, the buzz is back and this could be an amazing season.

Meanwhile, in Division 2, our newly minted team Ottawa Fury FC continues to take form. A good coaching staff and management team with a clear vision of the type of team they want to field and where they want to be a few years down the road. A chance to start building more of a local supporters culture from the ground up.

So much excitement ... yeah bring on the spring ... I can't wait!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The Marlins trade was different. A bunch of question mark guys on big contracts and, except for Reyes, everyone on short term deals. Although getting Reyes was no small thing, the fact that it was a trade diminished the signalling impact. Nobody had any choice in the matter.

The only thing I can think of that really is similar is the Jays signing Roger Clemens. Or maybe the Argos signing Rocket Ismail or Terry Metcalf (not many here will be old enough to know that last one, but boy was it massive at the time)
    Good call on drawing a parallel with the Rocket Ismail signing. IMO, that was similarly huge, and had a number of other similarities to the Defoe/Bradley signings (e.g. celebrity crossover endorsement, PT Barnum-esque ownership, pissed-off Americans). It's also a very bad omen for the present case, both generally (because it didn't turn out to be a renaissance move for the Argos) and specifically (because I wouldn't be completely shocked if Tim L were to end up in jail for fraudulent coin collecting).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imagine Gilberto scres one of these early on at BMO? I know we have all seen this but still, makes me all giddy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=paRBWwJ_zbs

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now officially dropping the dollar sign when mentioning the ownership group (i.e. ML$E will now be MLSE). They have put winning ahead of immediate profits, something that never happened when Teachers' Pension Fund owned the club.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    imagine Gilberto scres one of these early on at BMO? I know we have all seen this but still, makes me all giddy.

Jesus Christ. That is sick.

And people need to calm it on the "well the Brazilian league isn't defensive" stuff. Brazilian football is some of the dirtiest, nastiest tackling football you've ever seen. We used to get it regularly when I lived in Angola, and you'd sometimes see more stretchers than cards in a game, particularly Flamengo vs Santos or another big old rivalry. It's a much tougher league than people think.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post

Hahaha. That's awesome. I lived in Recife for a few years (where Nautico is based) but was a Santa Cruz fan. Quite the rivalry. But we both hated Sport, which was considered the #1 team in the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bannnnner time

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano