Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why wouldn't Bradley have to go through the allocation process? Anyone know?
    DP's don't go through allocation... see Clint Dempsey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder if its our turn to circumnavigate the rules

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently some rule that DPs don't go through allocation process. It was supposedly there before Dempsey signing, but Dempsey was first time this rule was used
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DPs are exempt from allocation like in the Dempsey deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Thanks all. I forgot that bunfight. Be interesting to see what happens.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it makes sense... how many team can afford his fee and the salary he commands? DP's have to be a single team negotiation due to the size of the contract.

Even if the league pays the fee... how many team can afford to put 6.5mil a year towards a player?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Well it makes sense... how many team can afford his fee and the salary he commands? DP's have to be a single team negotiation due to the size of the contract.

Even if the league pays the fee... how many team can afford to put 6.5mil a year towards a player?
    about half...

NE, NYRB, DC, CHI, COL, SEA, VAN, CUSA, LA. A lot of them won't, not can't. Lots of billionaires in MLS. Lots of teams I haven't listed have pretty deep pockets too, but more risky for them
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    about half...

NE, NYRB, DC, CHI, COL, SEA, VAN, CUSA, LA. A lot of them won't, not can't. Lots of billionaires in MLS. Lots of teams I haven't listed have pretty deep pockets too, but more risky for them
    I guess that's true but how many high profile players want to leave it up to a lottery as to which team they end up with? The dempsey this may have been the 1st time we have heard about the rule but it seams lile a logical rule to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I guess that's true but how many high profile players want to leave it up to a lottery as to which team they end up with? The dempsey this may have been the 1st time we have heard about the rule but it seams lile a logical rule to me.
    because DP salary are mostly paid by the club, it's a direct negotiation with the club anyways. I'd hazard a guess that DPs don't count towards discovery signings either.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need south american influence ,,,style...I for one think it's a mistake if we lose Laba.....I have never seen with these eyes anyone more dogged chasing down balls...not an easy job or always relished...remember we gave away Sam Cronin.......
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what he'll look like in TFC colours...

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/m...-report-010814

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see that Laba has to go. He can be the more stay at home destroyer type and free up Bradley to play box to box and dictate play. Could be a brilliant combo as long as we can pay down Laba below DP status......or get an LA style rule change. Let's be honest, Bradley is a big enough deal for the league to bend some rules for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this real life? I think with TL around, the league will look the other way when we decide to circumvent the rules and we'll still be able to hold onto Laba. I sure hope so since that would be an awesome midfield combo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exactly what ive been saying. Mls has bent the rules before, for LAG most notably. Now is the time for us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Exactly what ive been saying. Mls has bent the rules before, for LAG most notably. Now is the time for us.
    Big +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Manager View Post
    I don't see that Laba has to go. He can be the more stay at home destroyer type and free up Bradley to play box to box and dictate play. Could be a brilliant combo as long as we can pay down Laba below DP status......or get an LA style rule change. Let's be honest, Bradley is a big enough deal for the league to bend some rules for.
    I REALLY hope Bez can work his magic and find a way to keep Laba as well.

Laba and Bradley would be an amazing CM pair!
    They are the perfect pair to play Nelson's preferred style - a destroyer, and a box-to-box guy!
    And at 22 and 26, they are young enough to grow together and lock down the middle of the park for TFC for years to come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he a red? Or is this still just a rumour. Me thinks its the latter.

Oh, and if it is, kiss Matias Laba good bye.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    apparently some rule that DPs don't go through allocation process. It was supposedly there before Dempsey signing, but Dempsey was first time this rule was used
    You know the rules in this league are completely bat-shit insane when yohan isn't 100% sure about something on the league. MLS player rules are lunacy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    You know the rules in this league are completely bat-shit insane when yohan isn't 100% sure about something on the league. MLS player rules are lunacy!
    Hahaha i was going to say that exact same thing.

IF this is true...then holy shit I'm excited for the season to begin! ( I was excited before with the defoe rumour...but this is insane!)

also LOL at a canadian team getting a USMNT superstar

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    I should apply for a job as capologist at MLS FO

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capologst from the DeVry Institute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Is he a red? Or is this still just a rumour. Me thinks its the latter.

Oh, and if it is, kiss Matias Laba good bye.
    It's not official but sounds about as done as done can be before the contract is actually signed. NBC reported earlier this evening that highly connected sources in ESPN confirmed that it is done.

Like any TFC deal, I'll believe it when I see him at a press conference, but this sounds about as legit as it gets before that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It's not official but sounds about as done as done can be before the contract is actually signed. NBC reported earlier this evening that highly connected sources in ESPN confirmed that it is done.

Like any TFC deal, I'll believe it when I see him at a press conference, but this sounds about as legit as it gets before that.
    Of course, we're TFC fans. So we understand more than most that things can go wrong betwixt "official" as per the media, and actual signature on the document. Even players that we've been tracking for 6 months (Urruti) don't end up staying. But yeah, this is about as official as you're going to get before the press conference. Here's hoping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speechless! And they had me @ DeRo and Defoe!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the hyperventilating and drooling and a bit of reflection:

Bradley is not a move to sell SS's to non-football knowing people. It is a move to sell SS's to people who look at the complete package and figure this team will be relevant.

He would be the best midfielder in the league, bar none.

I remember spending much of last season hoping to see the complete best possible team on the field and I don't think it happened once - somebody was always injured. With these 3 DP's, hopefully somebody of quality attacking guile should always be on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    After the hyperventilating and drooling and a bit of reflection:

Bradley is not a move to sell SS's to non-football knowing people. It is a move to sell SS's to people who look at the complete package and figure this team will be relevant.

He would be the best midfielder in the league, bar none.

He'll rip ...

Hold up the shirt, hold up the shirt, hold up the shirt - now it's done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best part about this potential deal is that last seasons much maligned meaningless friendly probably factored in Bradley being interested in TFC since they gave Roma the full spread treatment and gave them full access to our facilities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have one concern, will the new players mind subbing for our striker of his generation, Mr Wiedeman?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't think i've seen this posted...

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16...y-roma?cc=5901