Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope Laba stays, he is a vital part of TFC's midfield and defense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I heard that TFC is valued at $120 million.

The transfer fees + salary for Defoe and Bradley is around $100 million.
    Doesn't matter. TFC are a loss leader for Bogers to sell other products and content in their main revenue streams. They don't need to make a profit with TFC. They need TFC to become popular enough again to drive interest so that people choose phones and data plans to view exclusive content on their networks. And I'm sure there are a whole lot of other angles being worked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    January camp before WC is a prospects camp mostly for MLS and Scandinavian lges players. Not the first squad.
    2014 USMNT JANUARY CAMP ROSTER
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (10): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Chris Klute (Colorado Rapids), Chance Myers (Sporting Kansas City), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Seth Sinovic (Sporting Kansas City), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Lots of dudes who are going, or have a good shot of making WC squad
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think MLSE knows that Toronto is ready to embrace a winner with international profile. These kind of moves bring international profile, and if TFC can win, fan interest will drive doubling the size of BMO Field and turn this into a profitable venture in the long run.

Edit: And I say international profile because the Argos won, and nobody cared afterwards because the CFL isn't bigtime sport for Toronto fans.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's impossible not to think that any elite player moving from the top leagues to MLS in his prime isn't hurting his international career.
    generally I would agree with you, but from what I understand he had dropped in the depth chart at Roma. MLS can't be worse than the bench. I appreciate that he should maybe have considered another option in Europe, but maybe those options weren't so good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why wouldn't Bradley have to go through the allocation process? Anyone know?
    because the metrostars received a transfer fee for him, i BELIEVE. Might be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    because the metrostars received a transfer fee for him, i BELIEVE. Might be wrong.
    DP's don't go through the allocation process. You can call that one the 'Dempsey rule'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true plus you would have to break all this salaries spent yearly…yeah they probably spend 100 mil on salaries but it isn't lump sum amounts, its yearly..plus everybody else on the roster combined don't make shit so it really isn't all that much cash…

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Doesn't matter. TFC are a loss leader for Bogers to sell other products and content in their main revenue streams. They don't need to make a profit with TFC. They need TFC to become popular enough again to drive interest so that people choose phones and data plans to view exclusive content on their networks. And I'm sure there are a whole lot of other angles being worked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    +1. Your username is a perfect description of today's events.
    Last edited by adam1001; 01-09-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love seeing @MLS continue to reward US players. It's no longer taboo to play here...players want to be here in their prime #GrowingTheGame

https://twitter.com/landondonovan/st...22677219139584

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is true I say awesome But I have my doubts

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hearing this is gonna be a long-term signing. Like over four years or so. Honestly, I had no idea we were even considering the guy up until today!

Fuck though, I need to let all this sink in. Defoe is confirmed. DeRo is confirmed. And now we're listing Mike Bradley as probable? So, back to the drawing board with all those theoretical formations, eh?

That article Haddy linked to actually brings up some good points about American layers coming home to North America to play in MLS.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-09-2014 at 01:11 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    If this is true I say awesome But I have my doubts
    as a spurs fan, i'm even tempted to second guess a signing when you hear they're on a plane headed in for a physical.

there's something about these recent developments though.. i just can't quite put my finger it, but they feel different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I'm hearing this is gonna be a long-term signing. Like over four years or so. Honestly, I had no idea we were even considering the guy up until today!

Fuck though, I need to let all this sink in. Defoe is confirmed. DeRo is confirmed. And now we're listing Mike Bradley as probable? So, back to the drawing board with all those theoretical formations, eh?
    could be the start of something great....now we must bring back the great CASHZILLA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a spurs fan, i'm even tempted to second guess a signing when you hear they're on a plane headed in for a physical.

there's something about these recent developments though.. i just can't quite put my finger it, but they feel different.
    I so agree with you wowza but Until I see TFC announce a news conference saying they have a major signing then I will believe it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Have never been fussy on some of the American players for example guys like Frankie Hejduk, Donavan, I detest B ut I have always liked Bradley and I always thought his Dad was a decent Manager for the U.S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Borga;1631973]I think MLSE knows that Toronto is ready to embrace a winner with international profile. These kind of moves bring international profile, and if TFC can win, fan interest will drive doubling the size of BMO Field and turn this into a profitable venture in the long run.

Edit: And I say international profile because the Argos won, and nobody cared afterwards because the CFL isn't bigtime sport for Toronto fans.[/QUOTE

My late Uncle Rick always did say that he thought that Toronto was a better Soccer city than a Hockey city. and for what you are saying Borga could happen and lets face it Toronto could use all improved International Exposure it can have

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I so agree with you wowza but Until I see TFC announce a news conference saying they have a major signing then I will believe it
    until i see their names on a contract, followed by pictures of them holding their shirts, followed by them taking the pitch for longer than 37 minutes (i forgot who made that point already), i'll keep my guard up.

cautiously optimistic: i think should be the RPB official motto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

until i see their names on a contract, followed by pictures of them holding their shirts, followed by them taking the pitch for longer than 37 minutes (i forgot who made that point already), i'll keep my guard up.

cautiously optimistic: i think should be the RPB official motto.
    Very True Wowza

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 things. I think those spitting ads were for Defoe and Bradley. I know Bradley is a solid player and key piece of USMNT but is he worth the 6.5million that is being reported? I am very excited regardless of the money involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what's really interesting here is that if the signing we're expecting pan out, the best way to start all of our strongest players would seemingly be to go to a 4-3-2-1 formation.

-----------------Defoe----------------
    ----------DeRo---------Gilberto-------
    ----Laba-------Bradley-----Jackson---

If Nelson wants to play Gilberto up top alongside Defoe and bring Laba in towards center he could go with a 4-2-2-2.

Personally I find either formation more exciting than a stand 4-4-2.
    Last edited by Stryker; 01-09-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^If Laba stays, and you have both Laba and Bradley sitting in front of the defenders, I don't think we're going 4 at the back now. We are still very weak at the back. You wouldn't want or need to have two of Henry , Morgan, Bloom or Richter out there, with a strong defensive MF in place.

I'd wager it'll be a 3-4-1-2 or similar, with Jackson as one wingback, and Rey or Lambe as the other. Something tells me Lambe could be very effective as a wingback, with the better support he'd be getting.

We would now have a little depth at forward and in MF, and even with 3 at the back, two of Dike, Dero and Osorio won't start. If we get a decent fullback in somehow, to go with Caldwell and Morrow, then I think we can be a playoff team.

All it took was $100M.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    2014 USMNT JANUARY CAMP ROSTER
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (10): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Chris Klute (Colorado Rapids), Chance Myers (Sporting Kansas City), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Seth Sinovic (Sporting Kansas City), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Lots of dudes who are going, or have a good shot of making WC squad
    Listen, I think we need to be real about this. "Going, or have a shot at going", is not the point. The entire core, the 5-7 key players of the US team, play in Europe. Donovan was (or is) an exception.

The US is missing those 2-3 breakthrough players who are the stemwinders for the big national teams and are real difference makers and star for Champions League teams. Having players like Bradley go from Roma to MLS at 26 decreases the odds of those players developing.

MLS is getting better but it's not elite football and won't be for a long time. Brazilians and Argentines would feel the same way if their best players came home from big European clubs at age 26. The angst of USMNT supporters is totally legit. There is a conflict between what is good for MLS and what is good for the USMNT. Not our problem though.

MLS needs homegrown stars, and while I can't quite yet get my head around the heart and soul of the USMNT as the captain of TFC, something tells me I'll get there pretty quickly.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    2 things. I think those spitting ads were for Defoe and Bradley. I know Bradley is a solid player and key piece of USMNT but is he worth the 6.5million that is being reported? I am very excited regardless of the money involved.
    If you factor in that we are going to have to pay a lot more money than overseas options for any quality player with other options (especially one that is 26) I think he is worth it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to understand....MLS must be paying the transfer a la Dempsey, but they can't really want Bradley in Toronto long-term, can they?

tinfoil theory 1: Bob Bradley is coming to run TFC.

tinfoil theory 2: Michael Bradley is a rental, and will be flipped to NYCFC at the end of this season. This gives Leiweke his January "shock and awe" move, and gets Bradley into the league at a moment when he is available, but making him the centerpiece of a US team makes much more sense for the league in the long run.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a secobnd there, I thought the thread title was Michael Bradley is RAD.

and now that he is here, . . .he is.

#BradleyTLA
    #bRADTTLA
    Last edited by Technorgasm; 01-09-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to understand....MLS must be paying the transfer a la Dempsey, but they can't really want Bradley in Toronto long-term, can they?

tinfoil theory 1: Bob Bradley is coming to run TFC.

tinfoil theory 2: Michael Bradley is a rental, and will be flipped to NYCFC at the end of this season. This gives Leiweke his January "shock and awe" move, and gets Bradley into the league at a moment when he is available, but making him the centerpiece of a US team makes much more sense for the league in the long run.

# 2 would solve the Laba dilemma, would it not?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS needs homegrown stars, and while I can't quite yet get my head around the heart and soul of the USMNT as the captain of TFC, something tells me I'll get there pretty quickly.
    You're not alone. About heads and hearts. Not the quick part.

Glad I wasn't the first.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER