Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are kidding, right? Rome is to soccer, what Toronto is to hockey. He is coming here because of a 600 percent pay raise and guaranteed playing time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    You are kidding, right? Rome is to soccer, what Toronto is to hockey. He is coming here because of a 600 percent pay raise and guaranteed playing time.
    And because we have facilities to use and prepare for the WC. He comes to MLS then he gets that raise anywhere and every team would take him even if it were paid down by MLS like Dempsey. Here we have a good city and a good training ground. Lots to like about T.O after you actually see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    And better lifestyle according to Lalas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    And better lifestyle according Lalas
    And probably a pretty swank lakefront MLSE condo too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The heads exploding all over the news sites are great. Every comment is about it being a "step backwards". The question is how many players have to make a step back before MLS as a league takes a step forward? Gotta think it will be getting close to that point soon. This year how nice will it be standing at BMO watching Defoe and Bradley vs. Donovan and Keane?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    The heads exploding all over the news sites are great. Every comment is about it being a "step backwards". The question is how many players have to make a step back before MLS as a league takes a step forward? Gotta think it will be getting close to that point soon. This year how nice will it be standing at BMO watching Defoe and Bradley vs. Donovan and Keane?
    A lot nicer than watching Wiedeman and Braun facing them. That's for sure. Crazy that we are this far ahead this early in the year. Usually we have like 14 players on the roster in early January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats funny about this is the amount of negative comments about a top US player leaving Serie A for the MLS like its a step back for the US overseas reputation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would be awesome but won't happen unless we get them in CCL.... we don't play them at home during the regular season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    And better lifestyle according to Lalas
    I dunno how many here are basketball fans but for those who are, remember Anthony Davis' real issues with his kids getting a Canadian education instead of American? Maybe Bradley didn't want his kid growing up in a completely different culture. That's a reasonable thing to me (much more than something like having to learn O Canada instead of the Star Spangled Banner). Also his extended family is all relatively close. Realistically there are only a few clubs in MLS who would consider/be able to pay a salary like what he's getting. It's LA, Seattle, NY or Toronto. And LA, Seattle and NY already have their DPs in place. So the only MLS market he could come to is Toronto. I'm sure being here before helped, and having great facilities does too. But like someone else said (was it Ogden? Sorry I don't recall). This seems like it was a real confluence of timing, opportunity, luck and money.

Edit: @Flipityflu remember how people here thought of Kovalchuk for bailing on the NHL and going to the KHL? It's a natural reaction. Also I dunno about anyone else, but until the Russian roster was named I TOTALLY forgot Kovalchuk hadn't just up and retired. So there may be something to the whole international prestige thing. But really, who gives a crap. If he performs in the World Cup the world will know and remember.
    Last edited by Waggy; 01-08-2014 at 10:11 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Best part about this potential deal is that last seasons much maligned meaningless friendly probably factored in Bradley being interested in TFC since they gave Roma the full spread treatment and gave them full access to our facilities.
    I'd say that is only small part. Having Bradley see TFC facilities and Toronto was a bonus, but considering how much money TFC is paying him, he'd be foolish to turn that down. Apparently MLS got the word that Bradley was available and sent out a call to all MLS teams to see who's interested, and TFC jumped. So Bradley could end up in another club. (Latest rumour says Wolfsburg and another German club is interested)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Werder Bremen is the other team, they definitely can't afford him right now. If they did take him it'd be on loan or at a discount. Wolfsburg do have a lot of money though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not good at math.......but I think if the Defoe and Bradley signings both go through..........they will cost more than it did to build BMO Field and pay for the TFC expansion fee.

Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    whats funny about this is the amount of negative comments about a top US player leaving Serie A for the MLS like its a step back for the US overseas reputation.
    It's unsubstantiated criticism in my opinion. Landon Donovan has spent the majority of his career in MLS and he has always been a standout for the USMNT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley's first mls goal: (btw pause it at :28 sec.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGwwHIgiP4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It's unsubstantiated criticism in my opinion. Landon Donovan has spent the majority of his career in MLS and he has always been a standout for the USMNT.
    It's impossible not to think that any elite player moving from the top leagues to MLS in his prime isn't hurting his international career.

The fact that Donovan has maintained his international career out of MLS is an exception, an anecdote.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your dreams. I don't think LA visits Toronto this season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    true, but I think he could have been better in Europe
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's impossible not to think that any elite player moving from the top leagues to MLS in his prime isn't hurting his international career.

The fact that Donovan has maintained his international career out of MLS is an exception, an anecdote.
    Then why are the majority of the 26 that Klinsmaan called to January's USMNT camp in the MLS?

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...nn-brazil-2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that TFC is valued at $120 million.

The transfer fees + salary for Defoe and Bradley is around $100 million.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    I'm not good at math.......but I think if the Defoe and Bradley signings both go through..........they will cost more than it did to build BMO Field and pay for the TFC expansion fee.

Wow.
    After giving us years of garbage soccer, watching the likes of Harmse and Lombardo, we DESERVE this. MLSE can pay $5 or $6 million to a bum like Clarkson to play 10 min of useless hockey, they can sure as hell ante up to provide us these new players. Now, if Wiedeman wants to play, he will have to ply his trade in a lower league. Things are finally looking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe caught my interest
    Adding Bradley has got my attention.
    If these come through I may have to give Mr. Human Pufferfish some credit. A reversal of attitude I'd be happy to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint View Post
    Then why are the majority of the 26 that Klinsmaan called to January's USMNT camp in the MLS?

If the team performs well in Brazil it's a giant leap forward for MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot be serious. Do I really have to point out that January is midseason in Europe and offseason in the US?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but there can be other exceptions as well, and the level of play in MLS is dramatically improving on a consistent basis. I don't buy into the notion that Bradley is going to suddenly have less of an impact for the USMNT if he is playing regularly in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot be serious. Do I really have to point out that January is midseason in Europe and offseason in the US?
    "The preliminary roster features 10 players who helped the U.S. advance to the World Cup for the seventh straight time. Midfielder Graham Zusi led all players with nine appearances while defender Omar Gonzalez and forward Eddie Johnson had eight each"

That's almost half their roster from MLS.

I know what time of the year it is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    If the team performs well in Brazil it's a giant leap forward for MLS.
    Lalas tweeted about this. If the team tanks in Brazil, blame MLS. If the team does well, its in spite of MLS.

The eurosnobs suffer Donovan as an anomaly. But somebody pointed out that a probable starting 11 in the WC would include 9 MLS players + Howard and Altidore. And even though Klinsman keeps talking about players seeking big leagues, the players who do tend to get stuck while the ones who have stayed have not seen their USMNT chances hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, start adding up the numbers for transfer fee's and contract, and Toronto FC could be spending around $100 million for two players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

January camp before WC is a prospects camp mostly for MLS and Scandinavian lges players. Not the first squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video?id=intl:1674994

Paul Mariner's analysis on the move, HAHAHAHA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting background info. With hair.

Michael Bradley MLS Childhood.