Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Formations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chinatownchef View Post
    If we are talking about formations, personally I would like to see all the talent up front and used to full advantage. My preference is going a 4-3-1-2 formation which is pretty much a Serie A formation a la Maximillano Allegri. Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto making up the 1-2 attack portion. The combined talent of the other players should be put in their normal positions, both Defoe and Gilberto need to see premium ball service by the likes of Michael Bradley. My second choice would be a 4-2-3-1 like Jose Mourihno used in Real Madrid.
    The 1 in the 1-2 is a trequartista a AM/SS type playmaker, Bradley is the best signing we have made but he is a CM/CDM, he will be the mid field general, from there he can still be a deep lying playmaker alla Pirlo, the De Ro is a trequartista type except that he is a ball hog, he creates for others, almost by accident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing the formation is going to look like this:

-------------Gilberto------Defoe----------------
    -------????-----------------------------Rey------
    -----------???????----Bradley-------------------
    Morrow-------Henry---------Caldwell------Orr
    --------------------Cesar (later Bednik)-------

And at least one of those spots is going to be occupied by Osorio. So we have one spot up for grabs and one of Dero, Jackson, Farran, or Lambe will fill it. My money would be on Jackson first and Dero being used as a super sub or WC cover if Defoe makes the English team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm guessing the formation is going to look like this:

-------------Gilberto------Defoe----------------
    -------????-----------------------------Rey------
    -----------???????----Bradley-------------------
    Morrow-------Henry---------Caldwell------Orr
    --------------------Cesar (later Bednik)-------

And at least one of those spots is going to be occupied by Osorio. So we have one spot up for grabs and one of Dero, Jackson, Farran, or Lambe will fill it. My money would be on Jackson first and Dero being used as a super sub or WC cover if Defoe makes the English team.
    Jackson LM and Osorio CM would be my prediction for the starting lineup against Seattle. Dike in place of Gilberto if he has a better Disney tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we put rey on the left, Osorio besides Bradley and Jackson on the right. Heard rumblings that Jackson might be able to play CM but idk, think he will be used do bomb on the right. Dero can be plugged in at ST/LM and CAM if we every decide to use it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I love most about this team is that our depth looks fantastic. With a few injuries, we look fine. Thats never been the case with this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how the defenders might line up, but I rate Hagglund to get some good minutes this year....

Last edited by tsn3; 02-08-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bet: Jackson will be a FB, and Rey will start.

Also I'd bet Dike will start at least 50% of the games. Dero will be a sub quite regularly.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is unlikely to be playing a Diamond. From what we heard from Joe Bendik, they will use two CM's that will come back deep for the ball - Osorio and Bradley from the looks of things.

I have Giilberto slightly deeper then Defoe, based on seniority really. Movement off the ball is paramount in this plan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I'd bet that's it exactly. Unless Lambe beats out Rey, or Morgan beats out Orr.

When Dero comes one, unless he's coming in for Defoe, in which case Dero is the recessed striker, he becomes a number 10, and they switch to 4-3-1-2
    Last edited by ensco; 02-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TFC is unlikely to be playing a Diamond. From what we heard from Joe Bendik, they will use two CM's that will come back deep for the ball - Osorio and Bradley from the looks of things.

I have Giilberto slightly deeper then Defoe, based on seniority really. Movement off the ball is paramount in this plan.

Defoe and Gilberto has yet to practice together yet. And language barrier. Hopefully they can get sorted with the 2 weeks they will have playing with each other but oh boy...

I can see Dike starting vs Seattle with Gilberto as sub. Gilberto is behind on match fitness
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Brazil could do it, so can we... 4-2-2-2

4 man back line.
    Bradley, x, Dero, Osorio (all in the middle of the field) - no wing play.
    Gilberto, Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so excited just looking at these formations, cant wait for the season to start. To bad about Laba though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    If Brazil could do it, so can we... 4-2-2-2

4 man back line.
    Bradley, x, Dero, Osorio (all in the middle of the field) - no wing play.
    Gilberto, Defoe.

That may not be as crazy as it sounds, drill a hole through the middle of the pitch.

Problem is, I think we MAY have the starting 11 to do it, but what about subs/injuries/suspension? I would probably start Jackson in the second two and have DeRo come on at 60-65 mins when he isn't the slowest guy on the pitch anymore
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need to be fast in a 4-2-2-2... it's all technical. Fast if for the wings which we've eliminated.

If there's injuries, you move away from that formation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    You don't need to be fast in a 4-2-2-2... it's all technical. Fast if for the wings which we've eliminated.

If there's injuries, you move away from that formation.
    you do need great FBs who knows how to time their runs, plus a bit of pace to get back in a hurry. TFC has none that can play 4-2-2-2
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reviewing the Columbus game, I'm starting to form the opinion that the 4-2-3-1 is making the 4-4-2 obsolete. Columbus' 5 in the midfield outnumbered our 4 mids and made it hard for TFC to get anything going. Meanwhile, their lone striker was able to shadow our back four and spring forward on through passes. Striker partnerships have to coordinate and they're not given enough time to do so in the modern game. I'm somewhat worried whether Nelsen can work in anything other than a 4-4-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    After reviewing the Columbus game, I'm starting to form the opinion that the 4-2-3-1 is making the 4-4-2 obsolete. Columbus' 5 in the midfield outnumbered our 4 mids and made it hard for TFC to get anything going. Meanwhile, their lone striker was able to shadow our back four and spring forward on through passes. Striker partnerships have to coordinate and they're not given enough time to do so in the modern game. I'm somewhat worried whether Nelsen can work in anything other than a 4-4-2.
    I agree. Bruce Arena who is also married to a 4-4-2 will most likely struggle.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one am not going to read anything formation wise into 1 preseason game.