Thread: Formations

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    think DeRo/Jackson start ahead of Oso

and i see dike was touched upon, but if you don't think Dike is going to be here, i don't think laba will either
    DeRo don't have the legs to play LM, nor does he track back. Tim B has said TFC is working on keeping Laba. I think they'll blow a wad of allocation money to bring him down to non DP level.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With TL was on fan 590 yesterday talking about TFC, the words that came up when he mentioned De Rosario was "depth". To me that suggests he is going to be the first guy off the bench most games or the first person called upon when we have absences over the WC and the like. My concern about fitting Dero on the field in a first choice starting 11 is that he would have to play in the midfield, he's not the fastest, isn't exactly known for tracking back.

I know he's a quality player and all, but I think there will be enough squad rotation where he's going to get enough minutes without being the first choice starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Assuming TFC is keeping Laba, and it sounds like Tim B is working on this,

--------------Bendik
    Bloom--Henry--Caldwell--Morrow
    --Rey--Bradley--Laba--Osorio
    ---------Defoe---Gilberto

Subs
    Konopka
    Agbossoumonde
    Jackson
    Hall
    De Rosario
    Bekker
    Wiedeman

Best 18 right now, and still got 2 months till first game.
    I would do this exact starting 11, with the exception of Jackson swapped for Bloom. The Brazilian is probably the hardest person to peg in our lineup, because he could play 3-4 different spots.

Would like to see us add another quality FW type and another CB who may challenge Henry for the starting role.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would do this exact starting 11, with the exception of Jackson swapped for Bloom. The Brazilian is probably the hardest person to peg in our lineup, because he could play 3-4 different spots.

Would like to see us add another quality FW type and another CB who may challenge Henry for the starting role.
    I think it's Bloom's spot to lose at RB. Nelsen seems to rate him highly, and Bloom combines well with Rey. Jackson can play RB, but I'm not convinced he's better than Bloom defensively.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloom is a squad player, not a starter on a playoff team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me crazy, but even this looks better than what we started with last year.

--------------Bendik
    Richter--Morrow--Agboss--Morgan
    Lambe---Osorio----Hall----Jackson
    ---------------DeRo
    ----------------Dike

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Bloom is a squad player, not a starter on a playoff team.
    nor is Jackson a starting RB on a playoff team

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    nor is Jackson a starting RB on a playoff team
    Agree. But I could see Jackson as a winger in 3-at-the-back Serie A type formation.

I have wondered elsewhere if that is what might happen here.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe ROMA....can loan us FLORIZI,he can play RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. But I could see Jackson as a winger in 3-at-the-back Serie A type formation.

I have wondered elsewhere if that is what might happen here.
    Nelson said yesterday he prefers a 4-4-2 formation defensively, that can break out to more of a 2-4-4 when the team hs possession, so I don't see him having 3 at the back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Nelson said yesterday he prefers a 4-4-2 formation defensively, that can break out to more of a 2-4-4 when the team hs possession, so I don't see him having 3 at the back.
    Nelsen needs to think more carefully. You spend $100m, you'd better match the formation to the players.

Putting in a Bloom over an Osorio because you "prefer" a formation is pretty strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Call me crazy, but even this looks better than what we started with last year.

--------------Bendik
    Richter--Morrow--Agboss--Morgan
    Lambe---Osorio----Hall----Jackson
    ---------------DeRo
    ----------------Dike
    Yikes, I don't think I would start Morgan this year, or richter, or Agboss unless they have all drastically improved this offseason but thats just my opinion. I would start Elmer ahead of Morgan, or at least play him in preseason to see how he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen needs to think more carefully. You spend $100m, you'd better match the formation to the players.

Putting in a Bloom over an Osorio because you "prefer" a formation is pretty strange.
    There may be very good reason to adopt a straight up 4-4-2, but too me you have to find the system that will get the best of the players you have, and if you to make big singing in particular you want to put them in great position to succeed, a straight up 4-4-2 does not seem to be that. For started you would want to put Bradely right in the middle to allow him to direct the team, then Defoe, from what I have seen has always been something of a SS/WF type. for me something like a (DPs + De Ro);

RB----CB------CB-------LB
    ---------Bradely-----------
    ----CM-----------CM------
    -----------De RO----------
    -----De foe----------------
    ------------Gilberto--------

Makes more sense, is organized and puts the big signing in positions to make the biggest impact. 3 at the back, with two wing backs particular if we have Laba back to patrol the heart of the mid Bradely with could also be good.

I like the 4-4-2 ( or at least the 4-4-1-1 as the basis of hard working team, and I understand why it was used last year, but now you have an influx of talent you need to adapt the tactic to suite it ( I will admit if Laba stays the 4-4-1-1 may also work with him and Bradely being the central mids- although the 4-3-1-2 or even the 4-3-2-1 may suite it all better)
    it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    There may be very good reason to adopt a straight up 4-4-2, but too me you have to find the system that will get the best of the players you have, and if you to make big singing in particular you want to put them in great position to succeed, a straight up 4-4-2 does not seem to be that. For started you would want to put Bradely right in the middle to allow him to direct the team, then Defoe, from what I have seen has always been something of a SS/WF type. for me something like a (DPs + De Ro);

RB----CB------CB-------LB
    ---------Bradely-----------
    ----CM-----------CM------
    -----------De RO----------
    -----De foe----------------
    ------------Gilberto--------

Makes more sense, is organized and puts the big signing in positions to make the biggest impact. 3 at the back, with two wing backs particular if we have Laba back to patrol the heart of the mid Bradely with could also be good.

I like the 4-4-2 ( or at least the 4-4-1-1 as the basis of hard working team, and I understand why it was used last year, but now you have an influx of talent you need to adapt the tactic to suite it ( I will admit if Laba stays the 4-4-1-1 may also work with him and Bradely being the central mids- although the 4-3-1-2 or even the 4-3-2-1 may suite it all better)
    it

I think Dero, behind the front 2 is a great move. Defoe needs the ball on the ground, Dero is a good player to bring playersinto the game. Bradley is a solid box to box midfielder. I think Our midfield and Forward line are great. Our 2 new defenders ....love it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have seen this movie already. Nelsen wouldn't play Silva because he didn't "fit" the 4-4-2, so they moved him, then two weeks ago in an interview, he pinned Silva's departure on Payne!

Nelsen needs to develop some flexibility for 2014. In a hurry.

More importantly, I want to see a lot less formation talk out of Nelsen or anyone else involved with the team.

It's not that important. Barcelona play with 10 midfielders. Formations should change depending on game situation and personnel available.

Formation debates turn into sideshows, and excuses for players.

It's just soccer. The most important thing is to get the best 11 guys on the field, and make sure you are clear what the expectations are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evermorian View Post
    Yikes, I don't think I would start Morgan this year, or richter, or Agboss unless they have all drastically improved this offseason but thats just my opinion. I would start Elmer ahead of Morgan, or at least play him in preseason to see how he does.
    I was aiming for 2nd or 3rd choice in all those positions, maybe Elmer is better but tbh I can't even remember what he looks like let alone how his play holds up. How many minutes did Elmer even get? Either way, I still think that line up is better than the likes of Califf, Dunfield, Braun, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have seen this movie already. Nelsen wouldn't play Silva because he didn't "fit" the 4-4-2, so they moved him, then two weeks ago in an interview, he pinned Silva's departure on Payne!

More importantly, I want to see a lot less formation talk out of Nelsen or anyone else involved with the team.

It's not that important. Barcelona play with 10 midfielders. Formations should change depending on game situation and personnel available.

It's just soccer. The most important thing is to get the best 11 guys on the field, and make sure you are clear what the expectations are.

i don't think nelson's stuck on 4-4-2 - he's said many times, including this week, that the players determine formation. i think he used 4-4-2 last year because the team was weak, in transition, and is was easier to keep shape - i doubt 4-4-2 will be the predominant formation in 2014.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter how you look at it, TFC will have one of the best attacking sides in the league. Even when Defoe and Bradley are away it will still be a decent attacking side.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloom is unfairly getting a bad rap. He started three games last year I believe. We haven't seen enough of him to say he's a starter or not on a playoff team. From what I've seen of him, he likely is, but I haven't seen him play that much yet. He might be the next Chris Klute (and has taken the same path).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could have sworn that Nelsen was quoted last year saying that it's way less about the formation, and way more about the shape and strategy when we don't have the ball.

For example, things like; forcing the opposition into specific areas of the pitch, overloading on one side depending on strength of fullback/winger, double teams, pressure on long balls.

Regardless of what formation they line up as, I fully expect him to want a "flat" 4-4 defensively in order to be able to accomplish the strategy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armen delivers the goods.

In 2013, Nelsen primarily used the 4-4-2 formation, and when asked if he had given any mind to new combinations with these new pieces in the roster, Nelsen answered confidently.

"Yup, of course," said Nelsen, when asked if he had any new formations in mind. "If you want to talk about formations, when we attack, we don’t attack in a 4-4-2. Just because you put them out in a defensive situation, it doesn’t mean when you have the ball, you end up being in a 4-4-2. We end up being a 2-4-4 a lot of the times when we attack or a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3."

"When you have the ball, it’s about attacking with balance," Nelsen continued. "When you get into your defensive shape, I’ve always thought that 4-4-2 has the most balance across the field. I’ve always liked that without the ball, but when you talk about it with the ball, we’re a lot of formations depending on our strength going forward."

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/1/1...-at-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I was aiming for 2nd or 3rd choice in all those positions, maybe Elmer is better but tbh I can't even remember what he looks like let alone how his play holds up. How many minutes did Elmer even get? Either way, I still think that line up is better than the likes of Califf, Dunfield, Braun, etc...
    I see, I thought you were saying that was a first choice line up and I was like, thats crazy. YOu are right, that is almost better than last years starting xi. Pretty sad how we played with pretty much a 'b' team in mls standards all of last year. With Elmer, I think its weird that he's not playing. If they can't get rid of him this year they mine as well play him. Either nelson doesn't rate Elmer or maybe he is one of Paynes guys so Nelson refuses to play him. I just didn't think Morgan was that good last year and would loved to have seen more of Elmer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    I think Dero, behind the front 2 is a great move. Defoe needs the ball on the ground, Dero is a good player to bring playersinto the game. Bradley is a solid box to box midfielder. I think Our midfield and Forward line are great. Our 2 new defenders ....love it
    De Ro as the one who pushes the play forward to Gilberto and Defoe would be the best choice, however I also think that Osario or Jackson learning from De Ro and preparing to take some of the strain off of De Ro (beacuse lets face it he isn't getting any younger) would also be the best thing to do
    For Osario this tutaledge will also be good for the National Team (assuming he progresses and develops as expected.)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Confirming what I said in another thread about a week ago; I stand by the argument: switching positions every time you have to track back or changing assignments to cover all the time makes us very vulnerable, especially on the counterattack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formations are important, whenever you have 11 players on the filed they need to be organized, if not it is chaos. BUT fortmations need to be suited to the players you have, the sitiation, the opponent, you cannot be in love with a cetain formation, if it does not suite your players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Confirming what I said in another thread about a week ago; I stand by the argument: switching positions every time you have to track back or changing assignments to cover all the time makes us very vulnerable, especially on the counterattack.
    How many goals did we concede off the counter last year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Nelsen saying all the right things there. I withdraw my earlier comment.

Now he has to deliver that fluidity. That is the real job of the manager, having all the players have a unified vision of when/how to change roles as game situations change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are talking about formations, personally I would like to see all the talent up front and used to full advantage. My preference is going a 4-3-1-2 formation which is pretty much a Serie A formation a la Maximillano Allegri. Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto making up the 1-2 attack portion. The combined talent of the other players should be put in their normal positions, both Defoe and Gilberto need to see premium ball service by the likes of Michael Bradley. My second choice would be a 4-2-3-1 like Jose Mourihno used in Real Madrid.
    Last edited by Chinatownchef; 01-15-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many goals did we concede off the counter last year?
    It's a valid question and off the top of my head I don't know. But I do remember us being particularly vulnerable to it, most notably on the switch of field. We left opposite side players open constantly. There are some decent tacticians in this league, and maybe Nelsen will adjust for this. But by following the very popular modern theory of "bunching" his players and pursuing the ball as a singular unit instead of being positionally distinct, we're assuming we have guys talented enough to cover off space behind players caught out of position, and to switch positions almost on the fly when defending.

This may have been resolved to some degree by getting Bradley, who is a midfield controller; he'll read the game and sit back a little through most of the game, only pushing up when he wants to deliver an important pass, and the rest of the game breaking down the other team's passing channels. But I'm still a bit skeptical. I think we could end out scoring a ton of goals this year, but giving up a good number too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now being as we were such a limited forward threat last season means that if we can hold the ball... and actually score a once and a while we will have a little more time. More so we would have done not so badly has we had any offensive threat.

Though we do still have some work to do in the back. We will see... Hopefully the attack will help offset some of the formation and back line issues.