Happy endings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    I love the two signals this sends off

1 - TFC is no longer the the TFC of old - DeRo would have never come back to that dysfunctional group
    2 - DeRo has a chance to reshape his image to fans of TFC

If both groups play nice and this goes well, it could be an event that we look back at and identify when the team took a turn in the right direction

It's an optimistic, pie in the sky kind of opinion, but this deal could be larger than just bringing back a former player.

This.....I hope DeRo sees that he could be part of TFC FINALLY becoming a good side....He shouldn't be Captain..The Captain should be Steven Caldwell...he's a ROCK at the back and a true leader...I'm almost optimistic...LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that the benefits that people are bringing have little to do with product on the pitch.

Nobody knows how much he has left in the tank.
    Nobody knows where he's going to fit in, position wise. (because he doesn't play a position and because we don't know what Nelsen wants to do with him)

But we know that it brings back TFC buzz and butts in the seats and that we get to see him chicken dance if we're lucky.

We also don't know how much he's going to get paid or if he's going to be a "leader" on this team.

Strange days. We're talking about turning the corner for the better after taking on a 35 year old player coming off a horrible season.

I understand cautious optimism but this seems a little desperate on TFC's part.

Please sign a midfield general so that DeRo's time can be limited to a super sub/world cup fill in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero now gets his 2nd chance to be on the wall of honour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like an old wrestling storyline.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really, I don't really care where DeRo plays. At LAST - we have a squad with DEPTH! The last couple of season's the squad's depth, especially in attacking midfield and striker has been terrible! Koev's gets injured, we have Amerikwa as a replacement (WTF?!). Then Earnshaw gets injured last season and we have Braun and Weideman!

Now if Gilberto or new DP is injured, we have DeRo or Dike. If Osorio is injured, DeRo can play cover for him. At long last, we have cover that isn't Amerikwa or Braun!

MLS is a long season, you really need depth. We are getting some nice depth for the first season in a long time!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm glad to see him return. At the time of his dispute with management, I admit I started the "Shut up and play" thread, as I was tired of the airing of dirty laundry in public. Of course, we all know, in hindsight, that the management at that time was such a clusterfuck that he probably had no other choice. I just wanted him to lead us to glory. That said, when he was here I loved his heart and dedication to the city and the supporters. I loved the way he went after that little prick who came over and taunted our corner after a goal. I loved the way he stuck it up Montreal's ass in the Voyageur's Cup. There are a lot of things I love about DeRo's time here and I am glad to see him return. He is a passionate player who wears his heart on his sleeve, which is what makes him successful, though it sometimes gets him into trouble.

Welcome home, Dwayne.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dare I say that I'm feeling....optimistic? Could this be our year finally?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, A LOT DEPENDS ON THE SPECIFICS. What is expecting re role? How much money is guaranteed?

Very significant move on the PR front. Makes me think that Leiweke is seriously worried he won't get Defoe or Gila, and will present "Gilberto + Dero + I tried, I really tried, I'm still trying" as his January blockbuster message.

Which I am kind of rooting for, personally.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-18-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    As always, A LOT DEPENDS ON THE SPECIFICS. What is expecting re role? How much money is guaranteed?

Very significant move on the PR front. Makes me think that Leiweke is seriously worried he won't get Defoe or Gila, and will present "Gilberto + Dero + I tried, I really tried, I'm still trying" as his January blockbuster message.

Which I am kind of rooting for, personally.
    I don't actually doubt that we will get our second DP. So far Leiweke is a man of his word - MLS experience depth, check, one young DP check....the "big star "DP still to come. I think it will happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long before tfc puts out the mandatory "I'm Coming Home" clip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why do you say that? Any player can play in a 4-4-2.
    Agreed. I was referring to a variation of the 4-4-2 as opposed to the flat 4-4-2 that Nelsen implemented last season. I think a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield would be best suit our roster, especially with Defoe reportedly on deck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've certainly didn't like him after the contract signing celebration as a captain of the team. But over the years, I've heard both side of the story and I think he isn't the biggest culprit here, so Im more than happy to welcome him back to the club!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The appropriate music for this moment.

I was one of those who was in DeRo's camp. I thought he was treated shabily by the front office. I believe there were promises made that were broken or unfufiled that we may never know about. DeRo should never have left this team the way it happened.

That he's back shows there's hope for this team.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorDamage View Post
    He will most certainly NOT tear this league apart.
    worse if he even tries.......we're done if he does, and thats one step backwards.... we have some sophisticated talent here and coming in , a new generation . HE better be willing to change or the old mgmt is NOT purged just reinvigorated . I simply refuse to go backwards !!! ...yes he was treated badly in the past and I was pro Dero but in his last games for Canada he was not pass friendly or even smart on the field .
    Last edited by jazzy; 12-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Really, I don't really care where DeRo plays. At LAST - we have a squad with DEPTH! The last couple of season's the squad's depth, especially in attacking midfield and striker has been terrible! Koev's gets injured, we have Amerikwa as a replacement (WTF?!). Then Earnshaw gets injured last season and we have Braun and Weideman!

Now if Gilberto or new DP is injured, we have DeRo or Dike. If Osorio is injured, DeRo can play cover for him. At long last, we have cover that isn't Amerikwa or Braun!

MLS is a long season, you really need depth. We are getting some nice depth for the first season in a long time!
    Totally agree.

Now let's just hope he's depth and nothing more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=439327

The team's all-time leading scorer, DeRo has won everything there is to win in MLS. But the former league MVP is 35 and made a whopping US$654,300 last season. Plus he left Toronto on bad terms in 2011.

In the end, the conclusion was the attacking midfielder would be a welcome asset if he were to agree to a new role and reduced contract number.
    It seems everyone is on the same page, with Toronto choosing the former D.C. United star in Stage 2 of the MLS re-entry draft Wednesday.

The move came after some careful discussion.

"Tim B (general manager Tim Bezbatchenko) and I got on the phone with Dwayne a couple of weeks ago and had a good hour conversation about what it is he wants to do, what happened here (in his first stint) and where we're trying to go," Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment boss Tim Leiweke told The Canadian Press on Wednesday.
    "And we aired it all out."

The next step was for De Rosario to speak to manager Ryan Nelsen, to hear his vision for the future.

While Toronto had yet to get his signature on a contract as of the re-entry draft announcement, Leiweke talked as if a deal was all but done.

"I think (Bezbatchenko) and Dwayne and Dwayne's agent did a very good job of trying to find a fair deal," he said. "And to Dwayne's credit, he understands that if this is about winning, we had to have enough room left within our (salary) cap to add a couple more pieces here.

"And I believe they have found a deal that will do that ... A lot of credit to Dwayne. He probably could get paid more elsewhere. But he chose to come to Toronto because he likes what we're building here. And boy is that a change.

"For a guy that left because he didn't like what we were doing, to come back because he likes what we're doing, I think says an awful lot about Tim B and Nellie and the job they've done this off-season."
    "Look I don't mind the fact that we're building a team with personality," said Leiweke. "I like that. I like teams with personality. I also understand that we take a bit of risk here as to what if it doesn't work out.

"But I believe in the conversation we had with him, there will be enough understanding and communication with him where he understands his role and accepts it. And thrives to be the guy to teach young kids how to win."

Leiweke also recognized De Rosario gives the team "more of a home-town Canadian feel that's important to us."
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 12-18-2013 at 06:27 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting quotes at the end there. If that is, indeed, what DeRo sees, then maybe there is cause for some cautious optimism.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every one knows he isn't home yet right? TFC just selected the right to negotiate with him, he could always say no thanks I don't like the offer.

I hope he agrees to terms and he comes home though. if he can get some service and you play a 4 3 1 2 with Dero floating with Osorio, Laba, Jackson and the DP forwards we could have a really strong attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Every one knows he isn't home yet right? TFC just selected the right to negotiate with him, he could always say no thanks I don't like the offer.

I hope he agrees to terms and he comes home though. if he can get some service and you play a 4 3 1 2 with Dero floating with Osorio, Laba, Jackson and the DP forwards we could have a really strong attack.
    According to Leiweke in the Canadian Press article, the deal has been agreed. TL believes DeRo took less money at TFC than he would have earned elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back DeRo you never should have left but thanks to the incredibly incompetent clowns that ran this organization into the gutter for the last seven years it was not surprising they let you go. However, I think we just might have the right people guiding the ship now and it's great to have you home and where you belong. DeRo one of the best Canadian players the MLS has ever had up to this point and his championships and his stats show it, welcome home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

You would think that they probably have a mutual understanding about the situation, given the fact that we actually followed through and selected him in the draft. You never know, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A flat 442 is what im expecting, id rather have a diamond mid with oso and rey on the sides and laba in the back with dero floating at am. I'd really love to see morgan and ecks given free reign for runs up the side of the pitch. Hopefully morgan can find the service he was giving Koevs in Defoe or Gilberto.
    Last edited by JavierMartini; 12-18-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised even after all the talk about this potentially happening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I didn't love you
    Quite as often as I could have
    And maybe I didn't treat you
    Quite as good as I should have

If I made you feel second best
    Dero, I'm sorry I was blind
    You were always on my mind

And maybe I didn't hold you
    All those lonely, lonely times
    And I guess I never told you
    I'm so happy that you're mine

Little things I should have said and done
    I just never took the time
    But you were always on my mind

Tell me, tell me that your sweet love hasn't died
    And give me, give me one more chance
    To keep you satisfied
    I'll keep you satisfied

Little things I should have said and done
    I just never took the time
    But you were always on my mind

@FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

things might be changing for the better at TFC, but we still have people here drawing up formations with guys out of position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KevBaller View Post
    LMAO
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great. I love this move. Wish the season would start tomorrow.