Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default MLS State of Union address 2pm (right now)


    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Did that Scottish guy just say the last Ballon d'Or winner was American?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Did that Scottish guy just say the last Ballon d'Or winner was American?
    I think we know who will be the next Doctor Who.

  4. #4
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Did that Scottish guy just say the last Ballon d'Or winner was American?
    He was stating a fantasy vision of his in 2033 where MLS becomes a top league, and he was asking the Don how he plans to make MLS a top league.

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ah that makes sense.. I'll admit I was half listening. This is really hard to sit through though: Between the echoing questions and Garber's smug dismissiveness, I'm barely hanging on here.

    I mean, right now he was asked about rules transparency and he goes into a big jerk off about the Timbers. He then goes on to say "yeah, we change the rules as we go along".

    What a joke. He is literally Vince Mcmahon.

  6. #6
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Neil Davidson wasted his opportunity to ask a good question... oh well

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Ah that makes sense.. I'll admit I was half listening. This is really hard to sit through though: Between the echoing questions and Garber's smug dismissiveness, I'm barely hanging on here.

    I mean, right now he was asked about rules transparency and he goes into a big jerk off about the Timbers. He then goes on to say "yeah, we change the rules as we go along".

    What a joke. He is literally Vince Mcmahon.
    Yeah, I wonder about Garber at times.

    Clearly he did a great job of bringing the league from A to B. But from where we are right now, aka transitioning the league from it's awkward teenage years to the next step, I'm not sure if he's the person you want.

  8. #8
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pretty disappointing Q&A session. No real info, except MLS spends about 20 mil per year for youth academies, and MLS and USSF is working together with a plan to produce better USMNT players.

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    2,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Pretty disappointing Q&A session. No real info, except MLS spends about 20 mil per year for youth academies, and MLS and USSF is working together with a plan to produce better USMNT players.
    Thats 1M and some change to each of the MLS academy teams....that's nothing, but it also makes me wonder how much money does each individual club put towards their academy.

  10. #10
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Thats 1M and some change to each of the MLS academy teams....that's nothing, but it also makes me wonder how much money does each individual club put towards their academy.
    it is a pretty big money, if you compare it to the salary cap

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Thats 1M and some change to each of the MLS academy teams....that's nothing, but it also makes me wonder how much money does each individual club put towards their academy.
    Very good point. For example: TFC has a very nice facility compared to most and RSL operates a second full academy in a separate location, they are probably dropping a lot more $ than most.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    brantford
    Posts
    1,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No mention of half the teams losing money or the chivas debacle, no real hardball questions from journalists except the oregon reporter asking about the bad tv ratings.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, I wonder about Garber at times.

    Clearly he did a great job of bringing the league from A to B. But from where we are right now, aka transitioning the league from it's awkward teenage years to the next step, I'm not sure if he's the person you want.
    Yes, the next stage is going to be a lot more difficult.

  14. #14
    RPB Member Past-President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    112 - RPB
    Posts
    12,910
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What a mess this years playoff schedule is, no wonder why they have trouble getting traction on TV ratings.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

    Twitter: @RPBPhil

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    What a mess this years playoff schedule is
    I think they were trying their hardest to make the MLS Cup as forgotten and irrelevant as possible. Yet another topic they won't take the blame for. Deflections, deflections.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was listening to a podcast can't remember which one but they said the issue with the schedule in the playoffs this year was because of TV. Leauge had nothing to do with the gaps in the conference finals and now. Was the only time they would play on TV apparently.

  17. #17
    RPB Member Past-President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    112 - RPB
    Posts
    12,910
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ya, TV really worked out well during the run in. LOL, one week where you finish a home and home series, start another then take a two week FIFA break, then another week before the final.

    It was interesting for viewers having the opening round so cramed but all that momentum was lost on everyonw when you have to break out your smartphone to look up next dates. Its not appealing for any casual fan that wants to see more.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

    Twitter: @RPBPhil

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Ya, TV really worked out well during the run in. LOL, one week where you finish a home and home series, start another then take a two week FIFA break, then another week before the final.

    It was interesting for viewers having the opening round so cramed but all that momentum was lost on everyonw when you have to break out your smartphone to look up next dates. Its not appealing for any casual fan that wants to see more.
    And that's the problem. They should be making it easier for the casual fan to tune into the games.

    They have to make a set time for games on certain days. So you will always know on Saturdays there's games at 1,4,10:30 ect. Makes casuals more intuned to tune in if there is a set schedule.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What with Ottawa getting an NASL start next season it was interesting to hear them mentioning Atlanta, San Antonio and Minnesota as possible MLS expansion targets as they currently have working NASL franchises.

    Lots of talk about expansion ... not so much about MLS franchises that are not doing so well.
    I guess this means that the concept of promotion/relegation is good and dead as far as North American football is concerned.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Section 110
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think having NASL franchises promoted makes it easier to implement a promotion/relegation. These are cities that were able to (successfully?) sustain a franchise when it as not the top tier, and their fanbase has grown considerably since. They may be in the best position to sustain a drop from MLS to NASL if promotion/relegation came into place - now they would just need to play their way back into MLS. Attendance would fall, but I assume it would be higher than before they joined MLS. But could NY, LA, Houston, Dallas say the same? Or dare I ask - Toronto?

  21. #21
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    I think having NASL franchises promoted makes it easier to implement a promotion/relegation. These are cities that were able to (successfully?) sustain a franchise when it as not the top tier, and their fanbase has grown considerably since. They may be in the best position to sustain a drop from MLS to NASL if promotion/relegation came into place - now they would just need to play their way back into MLS. Attendance would fall, but I assume it would be higher than before they joined MLS. But could NY, LA, Houston, Dallas say the same? Or dare I ask - Toronto?
    again, pro/rel talk is pointless. NASL is a rival to MLS, nor will MLS investors accept pro/rel

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •