Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not on the bench tonight. Not exactly going to be in mid season form but what can you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not on the bench tonight. Not exactly going to be in mid season form but what can you do.
    I'm sure he's still training with the club. I'd rather have him on the practice pitch for 5 days than see him play 10 min out of sentiment and risk injury.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Totally happy with him not playing today. I assume he is going to get one last hurrah during the Europa League game, I'll be praying he stays healthy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the Spurs twitter he's not on the bench because of a hamstring issue. Hope he's 100% by March 15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    According to the Spurs twitter he's not on the bench because of a hamstring issue. Hope he's 100% by March 15.
    Depends. Is it a hamstring issue or a "hamstring issue"?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Depends. Is it a hamstring issue or a "hamstring issue"?
    if it's a 'hamstring issue', then why bothered to keep Defoe at Spurs... except to provide emergency backup
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because if they let him go they have to pay him out for the final bit of contract and, there are a few games to go.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/mlsb...e-9125690.html

MLS-bound Jermain Defoe still has England future

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Not surprised...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah noo. Facepalm indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

many DPs have done this - what's the big deal - also I highly doubt Sherwood will be back as Head Coach at Spurs next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    many DPs have done this - what's the big deal - also I highly doubt Sherwood will be back as Head Coach at Spurs next season.
    it'll be a big deal if Defoe suffers a long term injury for a rather pointless loan stint. all these loan stints are a bit of ego boost to the player to prove that they can still play at a high level.

I'd rather have a player do a proper pre season with their parent team.

Sherwood has a 18 month contract.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it'll be a big deal if Defoe suffers a long term injury for a rather pointless loan stint. all these loan stints are a bit of ego boost to the player to prove that they can still play at a high level.

I'd rather have a player do a proper pre season with their parent team.

Sherwood has a 18 month contract.
    I think Backbeat is right - Sherwood won't be there next year, contract or not. He is a stop gap until one of Levy's real targets becomes available: Frank de Boer or Louis van Gaal. Both of whom are interested.

Defoe has had a nagging hamstring injury all year. Hopefully it's under control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would mean he is basically playing for 2+ years straight without a break... makes no sense

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    That would mean he is basically playing for 2+ years straight without a break... makes no sense
    well, he'll have december off, but this depends on what sort of friendly tour Tim L has planned for TFC

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That report is less then reliable. No sources. Sounds like a reporter making up stuff. Give the man 6 weeks off, please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Spurs part is unknowable, but I believe Defoe will go on loan, if he is not hurt, and is in form.

Defoe is a very solid depth player for a Champions League team, and won't be cup tied.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it'll be a big deal if Defoe suffers a long term injury for a rather pointless loan stint. all these loan stints are a bit of ego boost to the player to prove that they can still play at a high level. I'd rather have a player do a proper pre season with their parent team. Sherwood has a 18 month contract.
    it could very well have been part of the deal in signing him that he gets a chance to go out on loan for 2 months next year...comes down to whether you want him with this contingency or not at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't allow him to go there and play, only train but thats it. Too much money and resources put into his transfer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    It is a bad precedent. MLS never should have done it with Beckham, as it's just lead to a string of other rash deals. They have been relatively lucky so far, but one of these days someone is going to go on a short term loan and get injured which is going to royally screw a MLS team sitting behind a mega contract.

For the amount we are paying, the player we get should be our player and nobody elses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It is a bad precedent. MLS never should have done it with Beckham, as it's just lead to a string of other rash deals. They have been relatively lucky so far, but one of these days someone is going to go on a short term loan and get injured which is going to royally screw a MLS team sitting behind a mega contract.

For the amount we are paying, the player we get should be our player and nobody elses.
    It already happened with Beckham and a torn achilles while on loan to Milan I believe it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one of the things I think any teams who signs a big name will have to contend with over the coming years. we have seen it already with Dempsey, Keane, Henry, Becks and even Donovan did it also. As someone else already pointed out, they probably state during their contract talks that they want this. I see Henry has only been strictly training this time with Arsenal since Nov.
    I guess at this stage we can only hope that we can develop partnerships with these clubs that allow us to send younger players over for training etc, I know some did this season with diff clubs. Hopefully we can gain some benefit from it.
    FWIW I don't see Defoe going next season on loan to Spurs, but I could see a host of other clubs be willing to use his services for a 2 month period. You only have to look at clubs like Palace, Norwich and Cardiff right now, not bad footballing teams but can't buy goals. There will be teams next season in same predicament that could well benefit from having a proven PL goalscorer for 2 mths.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Spurs allegedly "hope" to get him on a loan next winter. That doesn't really mean much. For starters, TFC could say no. For seconds, after playing an entire MLS campaign, Defoe could decide HE doesn't want to. For thirds, Spurs' situation could change radically in the course of an entire year, and they might not need his services any more. For fourths, a new manager could be brought in, who doesn't rate Defoe as highly as the current regime. As far as I can tell, the allegation isn't that Defoe himself has said he wants to go on loan again.

I'm not really going to get worked up about it until we have anything more concrete.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He appears to be in town. http://instagram.com/p/ka7KHQADu2/

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure would be nice to have him get a game under his belt with TFC before the season kicks off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very curious as to why Defoe is in Toronto..................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving stuff most likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the club is off to FLA tomorrow,maybe he will spend a couple of days with the club and then head back to England for the weekend?