0 Thread(s)

Was he at the Leafs game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That article is amusing.

Our infamous club, that on a good day two weeks ago got maybe 25 people to care enough to come on this site, is suddenly today the worldwide enemy of millions of England (and USMNT) fans.

It is a day for all of us, the very, very, very few who have cared about this little team throughout, to smile.
    I love this post!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, I see Prizby, and OgTheDim, and a few other recognizable names in the comments for that Guardian story, fighting for our team. Doing the country proud, boys!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That article is amusing.

Our infamous club, that on a good day two weeks ago got maybe 25 people to care enough to come on this site, is suddenly today the worldwide enemy of millions of England (and USMNT) fans.

It is a day for all of us, the very, very, very few who have cared about this little team throughout, to smile.
    I am drinking their tears!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the comments:

""There's something soul-destroying about TFC's sad ... history. The FC stands for 'futility club'. Coaches and executives come and go. Players come and go. But TFC stays stalled.

Sounds like perfect preparation for England."

SLAMMED.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is everyone still talking about that guardian article like it's the first article that has ever bashed TFC?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Globe and Mail and Toronto Sun have come out against that Gaurdian story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Why is everyone still talking about that guardian article like it's the first article that has ever bashed TFC?
    Because it has a ton of comments, and people are enjoying the apoplectic reaction.

- Scott

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Probably because we are accustomed to having local media bash us, but when it's an outsider throwing the team under the bus it still hits a nerve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it or not, there are also many MLS fans and football supporters abroad that have voiced their support for TFC in the aftermath of these monumental signings.

We deserve a winning team damn it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, MLSE showed a video of Defoe arriving at Pearson and being driven from the airport at the ACC during the Leaf game tonight, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    The Leaf thread keeps this website going.
    Surely you jest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more sleep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Apparently, MLSE showed a video of Defoe arriving at Pearson and being driven from the airport at the ACC during the Leaf game tonight, LOL.
    It was definitely on the LeafsTV broadcast, not sure if it was on the big screen @ ACC during the game though. Either way, it was him coming through the doors @ the airport, shaking a few hands, then a ride past BMO with him looking out the window. Wonder if it was the same car that Terry Dunfield made his maiden voyage to downtown in

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Haha, I see Prizby, and OgTheDim, and a few other recognizable names in the comments for that Guardian story, fighting for our team. Doing the country proud, boys!

- Scott
    I know the Guardian tends to be cynically judgemental; but the discussion on there is of a self-selecting cynical judgementalism that I usually only see in people with a profound belief system. They say Football is religion I suppose....(And I'm Mennonite, and have studied sociology of religion, so I know all about cynical judgmentalism of those beyond the group to prove to yourself what you believe is correct.)

I'm half expecting proof texts.

People on there seem to be struggling with the idea that a league who's quality of play makes it unwatchable to their standards can still have a decent player that they have enjoyed watching participate in and help that team succeed. Its like they can't admit that maybe Defoe has potential here to do well within the context of MLS because MLS is wrong for them.

They either have to say that Defoe isn't any good, or is too old, or they desperately then pivot to the idea that said player is coming to a crappy team, so he's obviously making a big mistake, which seems to be the article writer's point.

When confronted on the crappy team bit, they retreat to "the league is crap so I don't watch" or "results are all that matters in judging a team", both of which would exclude anybody from judging anybody in any pre-season evaluation, which is ultimately what that article s - an evaluation of TFC as it currently sits.

As I said, self-selecting cynical judgmentalism.

That and the article is cruddy journalism.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-12-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So excited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    I'd love to see them link up on A LOT of goals this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally OT but I wonder what bar they are in. In any case, this photo makes me all warm inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: Guardian article

People here need to realize British media always tends to be negative especially when comes to North Americans. Do you guys remember how British media bash Canada during Vancouver Winter games? How many negative articles were written by British to a point that pissed off a lot of Canadians while our media fired back at British for 2012 London summer games?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...163040259.html
    Last edited by TFC07; 01-13-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Totally OT but I wonder what bar they are in. In any case, this photo makes me all warm inside.
    This Is London.

Ill let myself out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg omg omg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Probably because we are accustomed to having local media bash us, but when it's an outsider throwing the team under the bus it still hits a nerve.
    I have no issue with being thrown under the bus if it is in an informed fashion - we deserve it as we have been dreadful since our inception. The issue with that article is that it does not deal with the present and does not discuss the change of ownership, exec, ect. KJ said it best we he alluded to it being like writing an article about City being bad when they got bought out but making no mention of the new owners and changes they are bringing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Why?
    I grew up there, and Britons are the biggest football snobs on Earth, despite not having won anything in 40 years and having an imbalanced leaguew with only four or five competitive teams.

Did anyone watch Sunderland-Southhampton a few weeks ago? Did it not look startling like an MLS match to anyone?

Nobody is more deluded about football than the English. They all think 'expert' is a birthright, that everything not English is crap. But when their own team comes up, they slag it, too.

The most telling part about that article? There are almost as many banned comments underneath as actual comments. That's what it means to try to have a discussion with someone English about football. No is more deluded (except maybe MLS.com types who keep insisting MLS teams could compete there day in and out, despite the cap).
    You've used broad strokes there, haven't you ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    RE: Guardian article

People here need to realize British media always tends to be negative especially when comes to North Americans. Do you guys remember how British media bash Canada during Vancouver Winter games? How many negative articles were written by British to a point that pissed off a lot of Canadians while our media fired back at British for 2012 London summer games?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...163040259.html
    As a Spurs fan in Britain I've been following this signing with some interest and I wish Defoe all the best in Toronto.

That said, one thing I'd point out is that the British media is simply negative. The thing people seem to not realise (whether it's comments about Mexico on Top Gear or criticising the Vancouver Olympics) is that however negative the British press is about other countries, it is 100 times more negative about our own. You only need to look at today's Daily Mail headline of 'What sort of country gives £1.2m benefits to an odious family like this? The drug-dealing dad, his 22 children (including an armed robber and a murderer) and state handouts that prove Britain's lost its marbles' to see that. Sure we're sneery about you, but that's just the way our press is, no need to take it personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Curious what the reaction from hockey fans was.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meh. Full marks for pointing out that Toronto is in Canada, other than that, unresearched drivel.

A few quotes taken from a G&M article, some stats taken out of context, and a desperate Rob Ford reference.

Nothing to get up in arms about.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so excited today.
    Whos going this afternoon?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spritorac View Post
    Sure we're sneery about you, but that's just the way our press is, no need to take it personally.
    Thanks for the information. We tend to take things at face value, not knowing as well the media culture in Britain.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto