Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint View Post
    <derailthread>

England ranks 13th. USMNT ranks 14th.

Most of the USMNT play in MLS.

If the Lions playing in EPL are so terribly amazing, why are the Yanks ranked so closely, when all of them play in "such a shite league", the MLS.

This is not lost on the English skipper. He will be in better shape playing in Toronto than sitting on the Spurs bench. West Ham cannot afford him.

</derailthread>
    While I get the point you are making - you miss the key issue which is the bias people have against the MLS. Nobody in English football circle rates the MLS anywhere near the EPL.

Also - FIFA rankings are notoriously poor at comparing teams since they are weighted rankings and not a straight comparison. The fact that England and USA are next to each other means very little.

Switzerland are currently ranked higher than Brazil for example - but Brazil are a vastly superior team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were talking about the move on talksport.com. They said the money being offered to Defoe was to good to refuse. Not even a mention of his chances for a World Cup place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According Molinaro announcement of Dafoe will be early next week based on solid TFC sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    According Molinaro announcement of Dafoe will be early next week based on solid TFC sources.
    John Molinaro@JohnMolinaro3h
    Expect De Rosario to be announced by end of this week and Defoe by early next week, sources tell me. #TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    John Molinaro@JohnMolinaro3h
    Expect De Rosario to be announced by end of this week and Defoe by early next week, sources tell me. #TFC
    Totally expected this after the season seat renewals coming up today. First they jab you with Gilberto & Jackson deals, soon they'll land a good shot with DeRo being official and with him saying all the right things, and then they'll drop the hammer with Defoe with about a week of 'early bird' renewal time left. When it comes to selling seats they sure don't mess around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't there speculation about using allocation money to pay down Laba's salary, removing his DP slot, and freeing it for Gila? I have not heard anything about this in a while... has anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    Wasn't there speculation about using allocation money to pay down Laba's salary, removing his DP slot, and freeing it for Gila? I have not heard anything about this in a while... has anyone else?
    It was never going to be for Gila. TFC wasn't going to take him and Defoe both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro says he has multiple sources. He is one of the better ones - I remember specifically on the Forlan story that he was careful with his words, quoted Payne, and didn't get caught up in the frenzy. So it's probably happening.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/arriv...inent-for-tfc/
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Molinaro says he has multiple sources. He is one of the better ones - I remember specifically on the Forlan story that he was careful with his words, quoted Payne, and didn't get caught up in the frenzy. So it's probably happening.
    Good to see that after Wileman, Jack, Larson, the Mirror, Guardian, and West Ham's owner's son have been saying since December that this was a done deal we've moved to "probably happening."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Good to see that after Wileman, Jack, Larson, the Mirror, Guardian, and West Ham's owner's son have been saying since December that this was a done deal we've moved to "probably happening."
    Willian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan
    Yes. After what we knew about that deal and how it fell apart I don't believe anything anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel much better reading John's article and really hope this is done next week as he said. But I'm also realistic about how football works, and until he signs anything can happen and often does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan
    Forlan never came close to the reporting on this. The whole Forlan thing was started by an out-of-nowhere report in the Globe saying it was a done deal and he would be unveiled in the next couple days. No one in Brazil or here could corroborate the story other than the fact TFC was interested.

But with Defoe there have been multiple sources on both sides of the Atlantic providing steady updates on the courtship. And since December it's been touted as a done deal by basically everyone. It was quite clear this was going to happen. Understandable that TFC fans will be jaded, but this situation was much different than Forlan from the start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan never came close to the reporting on this. The whole Forlan thing was started by an out-of-nowhere report in the Globe saying it was a done deal and he would be unveiled in the next couple days. No one in Brazil or here could corroborate the story other than the fact TFC was interested.

But with Defoe there have been multiple sources on both sides of the Atlantic providing steady updates on the courtship. And since December it's been touted as a done deal by basically everyone. It was quite clear this was going to happen. Understandable that TFC fans will be jaded, but this situation was much different than Forlan from the start.
    I haven't seen it mentioned in any serious British newspaper. i.e the Guardian has said nothing, not even in the rumours section. It's also barely been mentioned on the Spurs message boards, and even there it's not treated all that seriously.

ed: Sorry, the belief is that Defoe is probably but not 100% gone. And destination could be anywhere.
    Last edited by Canary10; 01-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman@LukeWileman6sCan confirm Jermain Defoe is expected to arrive in Canada this weekend to complete his transfer to @torontofc from Tottenham #MLS

DONE!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done deal!

Welcome to Toronto Jermain!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG, Pies and Mash! TFC is so english-based! :|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL is doing what he said he would do. they still have work to do but can't fault his ambition and getting stuff done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that shirt maker guys is hard at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally! Time will tell if it is the right move but I'm just glad to see all the signings come into place months before the season starts for once! Very excited!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a Bloody Big Deal I have to say.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... and then Bendik gets injured and we lose 5-4 every game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That better not be about DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to get my hopes up until he steps on the pitch and plays longer than 37 minutes. We've been burned too many times by this club to be anything but wary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I refuse to get my hopes up until he steps on the pitch and plays longer than 37 minutes. We've been burned too many times by this club to be anything but wary.
    THIS!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good thing he didn't arrive yesterday - probably would have stayed on the plane given the weather (oh, that's right, he probably would have had no choice but to stay on the plane, haha)