Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ ever think that part of all this public "virtually done" nonsense is a negotiation?

Agent/Spurs: He's virtually all but signed in Toronto
    Club: All but signed...?
    Agent/Spurs: Well we haven't signed yet but it is a strong offer
    Club: What would it take..?
    Agent/Spurs: ........

Sellers do very well when there are bidding wars

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody is going to give Defoe 8 million a year... Period.
    It's all a question of how much the World Cup and the improbable English run worth to him. If he chooses to stay in England until after the World Cup, I suspect TL will go after a different DP - out of principle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the clock is ticking, I don't see how we don't sign him but you never know with this waiting game they are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is not going to West Ham. They don't have the money and BFS doesn't play small strikers. I'd be more worried about him to going to QPR than West Ham but I don't even think that will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Defoe is not going to West Ham. They don't have the money and BFS doesn't play small strikers. I'd be more worried about him to going to QPR than West Ham but I don't even think that will happen.
    Losing Premiership money would be far worse on the bottom line than a half a season of paying Jermain Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is coming here. The money is just too much, and if he's already had assurances that it won't impact his chances with the World Cup squad it's not worth taking millions of dollars a year less to play for West Ham (who seem to be in shambles). Especially if he does actually value the lifestyle/want to come to North America/really wants to be Drizzy's friend.

If I was running Spurs though, I'm not letting Defoe go anywhere until a replacement is signed up. For practical and PR purposes. I expect once one of the Juve strikers is en route to London the Defoe transfer papers will be signed as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Defoe is coming here. The money is just too much, and if he's already had assurances that it won't impact his chances with the World Cup squad it's not worth taking millions of dollars a year less to play for West Ham (who seem to be in shambles). Especially if he does actually value the lifestyle/want to come to North America/really wants to be Drizzy's friend.

If I was running Spurs though, I'm not letting Defoe go anywhere until a replacement is signed up. For practical and PR purposes. I expect once one of the Juve strikers is en route to London the Defoe transfer papers will be signed as well.
    This is why this may not happen. Everybody has a boss. Leiweke included.

If the amount of money being talked about is even remotely close to what TFC are offering, both the league and Cope/Rogers have to agree to this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is why this may not happen. Everybody has a boss. Leiweke included.

If the amount of money being talked about is even remotely close to what TFC are offering, both the league and Cope/Rogers have to agree to this.
    This was all approved by the board long ago. The money, names, everything gets detailed with these guys.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    This was all approved by the board long ago. The money, names, everything gets detailed with these guys.

Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good.....TFC ASN@TorontoFCasn58m@transfer_itk1:Tottenham Hotspur are hoping to replace the Toronto FC-bound forward Jermain Defoe with the Juventus' Mirko Vucinic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Boards can change their minds, when they pre-approve things. Happens all the time. Not saying it will.

What about the league?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Losing Premiership money would be far worse on the bottom line than a half a season of paying Jermain Defoe.
    FFP, the club doesn't have the money to buy players. If you need an example, they just signed Roger Johnson on loan from Wolves. They had zero fit CBs before signing him. And if the did have money to sign a striker, it would be someone 6'2" or taller. Defoe is too small and expensive. You are also not going to get Defoe for half a season as Tottenham want to sell him, not loan him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had to wager ....

I think the hangup is that there was a handshake deal, but now Defoe himself wants TFC to loan him out to WHU until the summer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had to wager ....

I think the hangup is that there was a handshake deal, but now Defoe himself wants TFC to loan him out to WHU until the summer.
    or they could just be waiting to get him over to Toronto on his schedule....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    or they could just be waiting to get him over to Toronto on his schedule....
    Well he's in full training today. Soldado is listed as 75% for this weekend. Ade picked up some muscle tightness on the weekend. Chances are Defoe will start on Saturday. So when will they fly him out?
    Last edited by Canary10; 01-06-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Well he's in full training today. Soldado is listed as 75% for this weekend. Ade picked up some muscle tightness on the weekend. Chances are Defoe will start on Saturday. So when will they fly him out?
    How many days left in the transfer window? Speculation breeds headlines, which leads to publicity............
    And it's not like TFC is above extending a ticket renewal deadline or two.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the league?
    I get the feeling that Garber wouldn't stand in Leiweke's way...he's got a couple MLS rings that he can show them if need be

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    How many days left in the transfer window? Speculation breeds headlines, which leads to publicity............
    And it's not like TFC is above extending a ticket renewal deadline or two.........
    MLS transfer window is open until at least the middle of April

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    I get the feeling that Garber wouldn't stand in Leiweke's way...he's got a couple MLS rings that he can show them if need be
    I would love to understand the relationship between Garber/Abbott and Leiweke. Something tells me it's interesting. Leiweke was just Anschutz' appointee, he doesn't necessarily get any of the glow that goes with anything that happened in LA. It all depends on how the perceptions are and how the relationships work. Did (and does) Leiweke work with the league office, or instead try to steamroller them? Does Garber think LA won because of, or in spite of, Leiweke? (The LA big soccer boards were chock-a-block with that discussion when Leiweke was there)

Don't forget, there was widespread speculation that the league put Payne into the TFC job. That was only a year ago. This whole "I am telling you, Payne was a joke" whisper campaign that has been spun since Payne's departure, that may well not be the league's view of things.

I don't see how this Defoe thing could get this far without league support, but part of me doesn't understand how MLS lets any team spend this kind of money on this particular kind of player (i.e. one that doesn't really move the needle for soccer on TV, or potentially put fannies in seats).
    Last edited by ensco; 01-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to understand the relationship between Garber/Abbott and Leiweke. Something tells me it's interesting. Leiweke was just Anschutz' appointee, he doesn't necessarily get any of the glow that goes with anything that happened in LA. It all depends on how the perceptions are and how the relationships work. Did (and does) Leiweke work with the league office, or instead try to steamroller them? Does Garber think LA won because of, or in spite of, Leiweke? (The LA big soccer boards were chock-a-block with that discussion when Leiweke was there)

Don't forget, there was widespread speculation that the league put Payne into the TFC job. That was only a year ago. This whole "I am telling you, Payne was a joke" whisper campaign that has been spun since Payne's departure, that may well not be the league's view of things.

I don't see how this Defoe thing could get this far without league support, but part of me doesn't understand how MLS lets any team spend this kind of money on this particular kind of player (i.e. one that doesn't really move the needle for soccer on TV, or potentially put fannies in seats).
    The league is salivating at the thought of an England starter (or at least close to the team) in the MLS. They don't care if it'll cost MLSE a billion dollars, it's all win/win for the league. No way they would be anything but super excited and supportive of this move. Having said that, we should once again ask ourselves if it's okay to be supportive of a league that runs its teams this way - and basically selects who should get more than others (paying transfer fee of Dempsey comes to mind). We should be happy that the league stays out of the way. I for one would love to never see Garber and Co. anywhere NEAR our team, ever again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had to wager ....

Defoe can want to go to West Ham but manager wont play him. Doesn't fit with his tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are slightly underestimating Defoe's value. He ain't no Beckham, but he will bring supporters in, esp ones who continually look down their noses at MLS as not being good enough. They are starting to see a different class brand of player coming in. Where it potentially puts more arses on seats though, is if he is part of a team that is challenging in the upper end of the league. I am sure many fans of opposition teams esp on a week night have looked at the tie with TFC and went "screw that, they are crap anyway" and possibly not bothered making the effort to attend. If we get into a good run of form and Defoe is scoring goals and we are in playoff race, that will attract more fans collectively as opposed to people just showing up to see him play.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Melberg comes to mind. Deal was "done" then nixed.

Doubt that would be the case with Defoe as he is a goal scorer. If MLSE is paying the lion's share, MLS probably views this as a gift. Might help with road ticket sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV ratings have got to be lower than expected at this point so anything will help. I haven't been following, I admit, but have many other teams made big signings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe can want to go to West Ham but manager wont play him. Doesn't fit with his tactics.
    Big Sam definitely likes his big strikers, but if you're in relegation territory and can't score, you're not going to pass up a chance to get a proven striker if it presents itself. Especially with Carroll's fitness. Big Sam's played West Ham football the odd time, so he can switch it up.

I just want to see this damn thing finished so I can get my first TFC shirt with a name on the back.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I think you are slightly underestimating Defoe's value. He ain't no Beckham, but he will bring supporters in, esp ones who continually look down their noses at MLS as not being good enough. They are starting to see a different class brand of player coming in. Where it potentially puts more arses on seats though, is if he is part of a team that is challenging in the upper end of the league. I am sure many fans of opposition teams esp on a week night have looked at the tie with TFC and went "screw that, they are crap anyway" and possibly not bothered making the effort to attend. If we get into a good run of form and Defoe is scoring goals and we are in playoff race, that will attract more fans collectively as opposed to people just showing up to see him play.
    Here's what I think the value-for-money discussion is:

Beckham cost $32.5M (Guaranteed salary and transfer dollars) but that was 7 years ago
    Dempsey cost $33M (he cost Seattle $24M)
    Henry cost $25M

Defoe at $15-20M feels about right. Maybe $25M tops, if you are stretching.

At $35-40M (or more), MLSE are out of their collective minds, and are wrecking the league's DP salary structure.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-06-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I think the value-for-money discussion is:

Beckham cost $32.5M (Guaranteed salary and transfer dollars) but that was 7 years ago
    Dempsey cost $33M (he cost Seattle $24M)
    Henry cost $25M

Defoe at $15-20M feels about right. Maybe $25M tops, if you are stretching.

At $35-40M (or more), MLSE are out of their collective minds, and are wrecking the league's DP salary structure.
    - Beckham's deal included a cut in kit sales, and MLS franchise at a much reduced rate; to compare that to Defoe is unfair
    - Dempsey is $41M no?? (http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...urs-usmnt-usa/)
    - Henry was gift to the league with no transfer fee

I think Defoe's salary is going to be matched to what he is paid at Tottenham currently; he can make much more though through playing bonuses; at least that is how I have understood it to be; wonder what the value of allowing him the use of 2 homes and unlimited flights for him & family/friends would be considered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not following this. What do you mean by wrecking the league's DP salary structure? The impact to the cap isn't affected by the total amount paid, is it? Or do you mean expectations going forward? If the latter, I don't see a problem.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, something needs to get done - weeks of speculation is no good for our club, because we go through this shite at the beginning of every season.

This is just the circus it has always been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walcott injured and won't be going to the World Cup. Wonder if this changes anything in the Defoe Camp?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Sam played with 4-5-1 with False Nine at times. I don't think that's his preference and it was forced due to lack of strikers, but he's willing to adapt, and West Ham has pretty good goals against record. It's the scoring that's the problem. Defoe might be that finisher West Ham needs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano