Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...in addition to the offer from the MLS there is another offer on the table who our source speculates is from a mid table prem side that will guarantee him playing time in the lead up to the world cup. It's up to him what he does, the club won't stand in his way should he want to leave, but won't be upset if he stays."

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This item is dated December 31.. Adebayor going down could have major implications.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figures. Hope the FO has a plan B

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect Defoe has already signed with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting comment from Spurs manager Tim Sherwood:

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO 30m Tottenham head coach Tim Sherwood says he is in the dark over reports claiming Jermain Defoe is set to join Toronto FC. #THFC

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPeteO/s...04854143631360

Maybe he needs to speak with Daniel Levy or Paolo Baldini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://fft.sm/1euNwGe

Even Redknapp doesn't seem to think he is staying with Spurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves_On_Tour View Post
    this would be dumb. you cannot underestimate preseason esp in MLS to get full value out of a player
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is back in training today, so appears it was a minor injury he picked up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves_On_Tour View Post
    I'd be happy with this if there was some quid-pro-quo, ie. they get Defoe until the MLS season starts, then we get a player or 2 on loan for a few months to start the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    this would be dumb. you cannot underestimate preseason esp in MLS to get full value out of a player
    Agreed, but in the same regard you cannot underestimate the importance of meaningful match minutes in a competitive environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I'd be happy with this if there was some quid-pro-quo, ie. they get Defoe until the MLS season starts, then we get a player or 2 on loan for a few months to start the season.
    That'd be nice.
    Probably easier to sell now that we certainly won't be "the worst team in the world"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Beckham seemed to benefit from playing abroad. Look also at Landycake's loan to Everton. I can't see how preseason matches against US college teams or equally rusty MLS sides could possibly be preferable to regular playing time in the EPL. A couple of months playing time won't wear him out, either.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-03-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly playing at a high level is much better than spring training against low quality sides. Hard to know whats going on though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Beckham seemed to benefit from playing abroad. Look also at Landycake's loan to Everton. I can't see how preseason matches against US college teams or equally rusty MLS sides could possibly be preferable to regular playing time in the EPL. A couple of months playing time won't wear him out, either.
    So much of soccer is about knowing the tendencies of the players around you. It would at least give him a bit of a chance to understand how the others guys play. Especially Gilberto who he has to somehow form an immediate partnership with despite not speaking the same language.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So much of soccer is about knowing the tendencies of the players around you. It would at least give him a bit of a chance to understand how the others guys play. Especially Gilberto who he has to somehow form an immediate partnership with despite not speaking the same language.
    this. it's not just Defoe getting to know his teammates; it's his teammates getting to know Defoe too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hope something happens soon, so we can put other rumours to bed.From Skysports:"Strikers continue to be linked with moves to Queens Park Rangers, though, with Tottenham duo Jermain Defoe and Harry Kane both reported to be targets for Redknapp. However, the QPR boss doubts either player will be joining the Championship club on loan this month"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's way ahead of everyone else in terms of fitness though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hope we could get him on march 1st so he can have 2 weeks to get to know his teammates and vice versa... March 1st would get him playing time in the next round of Europa league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather not see him go out on loan. Way too much can go wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe himself wants the loan, and TFC will obviously accommodate him. He has to do what's best for himself in a World Cup year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Defoe himself wants the loan, and TFC will obviously accommodate him. He has to do what's best for himself in a World Cup year.
    Is it obvious? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's crazy to spend the amount MLS does on some designated players then allow them to go on loan in the off season.

Defoe would be a great player to have, but with the amount we are spending there should be plenty of other options. Wanting a loan and then potentially leaving for the WC wipes out a significant portion of the season and also leaves potential risk of injury. That's not really compatible with what TFC needs at this point.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-03-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is it obvious? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's crazy to spend the amount MLS does on some designated players then allow them to go on loan in the off season.

Defoe would be a great player to have, but with the amount we are spending there should be plenty of other options. Wanting a loan and then potentially leaving for the WC wipes out a significant portion of the season and also leaves potential risk of injury. That's not really compatible with what TFC needs at this point.
    Is this proposed loan right back to Spurs though? If so, his injury risk will be low as he probably won't see much action anyway. The loan also is supposedly ending before our season starts so no time missed there other than pre-season. Can't do much about the WC but I wouldn't be so sure he'd even be selected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know what anyone wants?
    I seem to recall another story where Redknapp (sp) was saying he'd love to have him but no one has talked to anyone.

And of course there still has been no official announcement or an announcement of an announcement so doesn't look like some of the reports have been creditable.

Personally I'm tired of wondering what is happening.. Until TFC actually announces something I'm kinda bored of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Is this proposed loan right back to Spurs though? If so, his injury risk will be low as he probably won't see much action anyway. The loan also is supposedly ending before our season starts so no time missed there other than pre-season. Can't do much about the WC but I wouldn't be so sure he'd even be selected.
    Pre-season I can understand, even though it's not preferable. As others have said though, this is not just about injury, it's about chemistry with the team.

Some of the best DPs in MLS took a solid 6-12 months to adjust to the league. We would be well advised to start that process as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Pre-season I can understand, even though it's not preferable. As others have said though, this is not just about injury, it's about chemistry with the team.

Some of the best DPs in MLS took a solid 6-12 months to adjust to the league. We would be well advised to start that process as soon as possible.
    True and I agree but the lure of the WC and to keep in Hodgson's narrow field of vision is important to him as this would be his last shot at WC action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristian Jack also just reported on TSN1050 that the Defoe deal is virtually done, and that he will immediately be loaned back to Spurs prior to reporting to TFC in time for the season opener in March.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't follow transfer gossip from other club enough to know... But is this "virtually done" crap as popular with other teams?? Or is only TFC that has constant virtually done deals?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't follow transfer gossip from other club enough to know... But is this "virtually done" crap as popular with other teams?? Or is only TFC that has constant virtually done deals?
    Well that Camillo out of Vancouver deal is also virtually done from what I hear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well that Camillo out of Vancouver deal is also virtually done from what I hear.
    Lmao That deal is no different than "Plata is still a TFC" player.
    i think we hold the record for the most messed up transfer deals to ever go down.