Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Best Finisher.....Peter North
    That I get this reference. What does this tell me....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I am pretending not to get the reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not getting the reference. Who did he play for?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Am I the only one who is always made uncomfortable by these questions at pressers, where the players have to pretend like they have some deep affinity for the team/city they are coming to?

Unless you grew up in the area, that kind of thing always comes later, if it ever comes at all.

- Scott
    Not true, I am in Key West right now and people LOVE Toronto, they tell me all the time, not 'Toronto is really great' but 'Toronto is the greatest, I love it there' etc.

I know that we don't see it sometimes, but most people who like cities, who have been to Toronto, think it is amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

He was a player, and he played all around, and apparantly he finished well over 2000 times, as a professional player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know he always played for the home team but you never know. I dunno if you could find his highlights on youtube but I'm sure they're online somewhere. He WAS rather prolific.

edit: he had a rocket shot from outside the box...

Ok I'm going. I make myself laugh at least

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^NSFW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    He was a player, and he played all around, and apparantly he finished well over 2000 times, as a professional player.
    He was a real journeyman.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    ^NSFW
    Very. The most. The definition of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post

...quite the shot he had....and a lot of spunk...

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

... anyway... the presser : A poor performance from the locals. Not one decent, well thought out question in the bunch. Pa-thet-ic.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    ... anyway... the presser : A poor performance from the locals. Not one decent, well thought out question in the bunch. Pa-thet-ic.
    I agree. Questions were pretty run-of-the-mill. Maybe the press were waiting to get into scrums to answer the better questions up close and personal?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    oh come on, Andrea Lombardo
    Can we re-sign Colin Samuel?
    that guys really knows how to hit a PK.

We're lukcy to have only put up with 7 years so far.

I have a client who is in UM02. . his comments:

I have to be honest, I’m a little afraid of TFC’s attack now. They invested a lot of money inbehind Defoe, Bradley and Gilberto. You even got De Rosario back! his contributions to your early success and to the league can not be understated. But I believe they needed to improve greatly on defense. And that might lead to another mediocre season (Although you cant get WORSE can you?). But then again, you never know! All depends on the team chemistry and capacity to adapt to the MLS style of soccer.

The Impact better sign some top notch players as well though or else we might be in trouble!
    Maybe 2014 will see you actually WIN an league game! August Long weekend right? Try not to tear the Metro apart this time!
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    As far as I know he always played for the home team but you never know. I dunno if you could find his highlights on youtube but I'm sure they're online somewhere. He WAS rather prolific.

edit: he had a rocket shot from outside the box...

Ok I'm going. I make myself laugh at least
    Pretty sure he started his career playing for the away team...

But made a bigger splash once he signed for the home team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Only question asked, that I was actually interested in, was the one about Laba's status. And that wasn't as much "interesting", as it was a question that obviously needed to be asked.

And a little part of me died every time someone asked Defoe about fucking Drake. Yeah, he's a fan of the guy's music. As an MLSE ambassador, he called Defoe to extol the virtues of Toronto. Great. What else do you want the guy to say about it? He's a rapper - it's not like receiving a call from the President.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I agree. Questions were pretty run-of-the-mill. Maybe the press were waiting to get into scrums to answer the better questions up close and personal?
    As someone who watched a few of those scrums, the questions did NOT get better.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only question asked, that I was actually interested in, was the one about Laba's status. And that wasn't as much "interesting", as it was a question that obviously needed to be asked.

And a little part of me died every time someone asked Defoe about fucking Drake. Yeah, he's a fan of the guy's music. As an MLSE ambassador, he called Defoe to extol the virtues of Toronto. Great. What else do you want the guy to say about it? He's a rapper - it's not like receiving a call from the President.

- Scott
    from what I gather Drake is a pretty big deal among footballers specifically.....and the way Defoe was going on about how much he admired him, to him it was probably like getting a call from the President.....while it seems insignificant, small stuff like this can go a long way in the negotiation process.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone hear TL on Tim and Sid later in the afternoon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end his Stamina let him down

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    from what I gather Drake is a pretty big deal among footballers specifically.....and the way Defoe was going on about how much he admired him, to him it was probably like getting a call from the President.....while it seems insignificant, small stuff like this can go a long way in the negotiation process.....
    Drake is the biggest hip hop star of this generation (aka rappers under 35). Hip hop is a very popular genre. Having him call on behalf of MLSE is a nice power move.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

- Scott
    I forgot about the Laba one.

So many people there, so few hands going up to ask for the microphone. One guy asked his question and then said it was for 'Defoe', as though he'd already forgotten his first name.

It was red-carpet "who are you wearing ?" stuff at best... and ffs, try to dress smartly for these things guys.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who were the two guys sitting beside DeRo - one guy in a suit with a scarf and an older bald dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    just curious, but what was the answer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Drake is the biggest hip hop star of this generation (aka rappers under 35). Hip hop is a very popular genre. Having him call on behalf of MLSE is a nice power move.
    I agree.....I remember after Balotelli scored his first goal in Euro 2012 he tweeted something like "that goal was for my boy @drake 'started from the bottom now we're here!!!!' "......I think it was a great move by MLSE to have Drake as ambassador and calling athletes on behalf of them.....instead of getting some stuffed suit on the phone you get someone around your age, and an artist you really admire to boot.....instantly increases the "cool" factor and we all know, after some of the guys who've snubbed us in the past, we've needed some of that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I think having Drake call was a nice move, and a good use of a well-known celebrity who is acting as "ambassador" for your teams. All of the questions he fielded about it at the presser, and the scrums afterword, were ridiculous.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    just curious, but what was the answer?
    Rosters don't have to be finalized until March(?), and they would be in discussions with Laba & his agent (doesn't sound promising, unless they are re-negotiating a deal?).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL was on Tim & Sid, and mentioned the possibility of loaning Laba out, or potentially transferring/trading him to help fill remaining holes in the lineup. Doesn't sound like they are expecting to pull off any magic with his finances.

His entire interview on Tim & Sid was pretty great, actually.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Rosters don't have to be finalized until March(?), and they would be in discussions with Laba & his agent (doesn't sound promising, unless they are re-negotiating a deal?).
    thanks

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontofc.ca/live

Live Q&A with Defoe and Bradley
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shame about free round being Budweiser
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano