Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil, any way we can find out from the FO whether an airport greeting will be happening? Or just presumably at the ACC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    West ham could be doing with Defoe today, on the end of another tanking 5-0 from Man City
    It was 6-0. Just on my way back from Manchester to London.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City demolished West Ham! On the Sky Sports broadcast, they mentioned Defoe completing his move to Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    It was 6-0. Just on my way back from Manchester to London.
    Well sounds like we're getting pie and mash on the bmo menu for this season... that should cheer you up

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanarkist View Post
    Phil, any way we can find out from the FO whether an airport greeting will be happening? Or just presumably at the ACC?
    It will be at real sports. Check your inbox from TFC.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Imagine the story lines if TFC misses the playoffs by a point again and he misses March/April games?

As for gravity of the news, it's a big deal. I know its the retirement plan scenario with MLS and Premiership names but worthy of a raised eyebrow for sure.

I don't know if it sells tickets in the way they are counting on. A new ticket holder opting into med greys would have to part with over $1,300 (pair) just to see him.

Impact on the pitch? Depends on the impact 31 years have had on his body. Real risk is he blows a knee like Koevermans did. All the eggs are firmly in that basket.

Team is better today than it was yesterday. Arguable as to whether it is remarkably better than it was when Frings and Koevermans were having their names put on the jersey. Let's hope that the expensive band aid plan works.... this time.

Still fun to talk about.
    Good DP striker can be extremely effective in this league. It's not the only piece to the puzzle, but it's an extremely important one. Between Defoe and Gilberto up front, I think we have been very smart with our DP slots. Defoe gets hurt? We still have Gilberto. That was always the problem with Koefs. We only really had one solid guy up front. And he was older, and heavier. Probably more injury prone because of that. To me we did everything right with our DPs. If either or both get injured then it's just dumb luck. And we shouldn't base our decisions on whether or not we get unlucky. It's not like we had any great non-DP alternative strikers made available to us in the past.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Are RPB welcome to attend the announcement, as we have been in the past sometimes?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Are RPB welcome to attend the announcement, as we have been in the past sometimes?
    I have sent a request. Probably won't know until tomorrow.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have sent a request. Probably won't know until tomorrow.
    I would blow off a lot of responsibilities, take my membership card, and race downtown to see Defoe unveiled for TFC if we do get invited.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is exciting....i really do have to say. Frings/koevs was big....but this is bigger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ahead of myself but I caught myself thinking which trio would be better? Defoe, Gilberto, & Bradley on TFC 2014 or Keane, Donovan, & Beckham from LA's last championship season with Lieweke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we really know what we have in Gilberto yet, so I'd be inclined to suggest the LA trio.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But now Larson's saying it will be at the Trump Hotel? Or is he just being crazy again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much like many of you, I work fairly close to ACC....I would be down there in a Goddamn heartbeart Monday for the presentation.
    With that said, the Sun is reporting it will be at the Trump Hotel.
    Either way, I want to go and will glady give JD a heartfelt clap and welcome.....

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    But now Larson's saying it will be at the Trump Hotel? Or is he just being crazy again.
    Well they are having some kind of thing at Real Sports that afternoon. Not 100% sure on how they are going to do all this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email I got yesterday -
    Hello Sid
    Save the date for your chance to be invited to an exclusive Toronto FC supporter event. The event will be hosted at Real Sports Bar & Grill on Monday, January 13thfrom 3-5 p.m. To ensure that you are part of the draw, enter your information here before Thursday, January 9th at 11:59 p.m.
    We will be contacting you on Friday, January 10th if you are part of the lucky group who will have the chance to attend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. So the event Monday (partI) is at Real Sports and by Invite only.
    What about Dero today?
    Real Sports at what time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If any of you are going to this, please, please don't get bedazzled by the hype and be sure to hold Lieweke accountable to his "Playoffs" guarantee. Ask him what he plans to do if they don't make the playoffs. Is his guarantee "Playoffs or SSH-money refunded" or what?

Just remember that the Jays were supposed to win it all last year with the talent they had and look where they ended up. It might take the entire season for the new parts of the team to gel. Look at Seattle with Dempsey: Things didn't turn out as expected there, either.

I'm honestly not trying to be cynical or pessimistic, just very, very cautious. It's just that any time things have remotely begun to go well for this club, the wheels have fallen off somehow. I'm afraid to hope because I'm not sure I could take my hopes being dashed for the umpteenth time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    If any of you are going to this, please, please don't get bedazzled by the hype and be sure to hold Lieweke accountable to his "Playoffs" guarantee. Ask him what he plans to do if they don't make the playoffs. Is his guarantee "Playoffs or SSH-money refunded" or what?

Just remember that the Jays were supposed to win it all last year with the talent they had and look where they ended up. It might take the entire season for the new parts of the team to gel. Look at Seattle with Dempsey: Things didn't turn out as expected there, either.

I'm honestly not trying to be cynical or pessimistic, just very, very cautious. It's just that any time things have remotely begun to go well for this club, the wheels have fallen off somehow. I'm afraid to hope because I'm not sure I could take my hopes being dashed for the umpteenth time.
    really? so if reports are correct, we are about to spend $100 million to boost this team, something that has never been done in this league, and you want a refund if it doesn't work out?

save your fight for keeping the Argos out of BMO instead of wasting time being worried about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    really? so if reports are correct, we are about to spend $100 million to boost this team, something that has never been done in this league, and you want a refund if it doesn't work out?

save your fight for keeping the Argos out of BMO instead of wasting time being worried about this.
    Agreed. Neither the time or place.....
    Cynical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this paid ad (torontofc.ca) on the side of the sportsnet webpage:

Last edited by Nestease; 01-09-2014 at 12:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess they've realized the cat's out of the bag.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's body did they superimpose under Defoe's head?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Who's body did they superimpose under Defoe's head?
    Osorio's converted Urruti-less body head figure computer generated. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's say thank you drake…
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...Tube-hint.html
    Also has a video from toronto fc advertising the signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    let's say thank you drake…
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...Tube-hint.html
    Also has a video from toronto fc advertising the signing.
    "Drake is a huge fan of his city's sports teams and is a global ambassador for NBA side Toronto Rapids"

This source seems legit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of air time about the deal and Toronto FC on talksport.com right now about the deal. Roughly 10 minute piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today will be a day long remembered in the annals of Toronto Sports History. Playoffs or Die. Hoist that Cup, Boys, and you will have a city desperate for a winner in the palms of your hands. To quote the great prophet, "Git 'er Done!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news. He'll bring bags of goals, and with the support that he has, we won't have a problem hitting the back of the net. Now hopefully we can hold on to our leads this year.