Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily Mail is a rag, I'd pay zero attention to it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Dailymail has a headline about him being told "Forget about Canada and concentrate on playing for a world cup place."
    They're a trashy paper, but still an interesting headline.

(is that the sound of the renewal team crying that I hear?)
    More like the sound of the UKIP supporting Daily Mail.

They think anything north of the Home Counties and south of Kent is evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheaper signing than Defoe. I guess this means Defoe isn't coming to Toronto?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Cheaper signing than Defoe. I guess this means Defoe isn't coming to Toronto?
    That article mentions that Defoe is still their "clear target", in addition to this.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Otherwise known as......Hernandez' agent talking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly can't see Defoe coming here. It would be career suicide for him prior to the World Cup. He's getting starts with Spurs right now and will continue to get some. If not enough for his liking, there are a lot of places he could play in the Premier League and cement his England place. If he comes here, it'll be purely based on money, definitely not for his career.

Also, AVB and Levy aren't even on speaking terms with each other at the moment. I don't see much chance of Levy going out and buying him another striker after they spent over 100 million to get him the team he said he needed. I see Levy telling him, I got you the team, now get it together. There are too many things conspiring against this move. After the World Cup I could maybe see it. But it makes no sense for him right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I honestly can't see Defoe coming here. It would be career suicide for him prior to the World Cup. He's getting starts with Spurs right now and will continue to get some. If not enough for his liking, there are a lot of places he could play in the Premier League and cement his England place. If he comes here, it'll be purely based on money, definitely not for his career.

Also, AVB and Levy aren't even on speaking terms with each other at the moment. I don't see much chance of Levy going out and buying him another striker after they spent over 100 million to get him the team he said he needed. I see Levy telling him, I got you the team, now get it together. There are too many things conspiring against this move. After the World Cup I could maybe see it. But it makes no sense for him right now.
    From what I read, it sounds like Levy has been the one making the buying/selling decisions, and AVB hasn't been entirely happy with what he's been given. If that's true, I think Levy has no problem selling Defoe to us and making another striker signing in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    From what I read, it sounds like Levy has been the one making the buying/selling decisions, and AVB hasn't been entirely happy with what he's been given. If that's true, I think Levy has no problem selling Defoe to us and making another striker signing in January.
    Lamela? That's Baldini and AVB. Soldado? Same. I could go on. The only one Levy was directly involved in was Bale, which was obviously happening despite what everyone wanted. I see little chance now that Levy will authorize over-paying for a striker after paying 57 million for Lamela and Soldado. Defoe is really the only other one there atm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus he costs $40-50M. This is 5x what Thierry Henry cost NYRB.

Plus he won't sell tickets after 5-10 games.

Plus he's not really a draw on the road.

I find this story to be the most absurd publicly reported player acquisition story in TFC's history. Which is saying something given the Forlan thing.

I can only speculate about the motives of the people involved.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What figures are you using for Henry's salary? Dude has made 4-5 million every year.

In any case, Henry wanted to live in NY. We are TFC, we have to overpay to get international stars to come here. And I honestly couldn't care less if MLSE has to spend a few million extra.

But you can't seriously think there's no substance to this signing? There's been too many reports on both sides of the Atlantic. It's way past the point of a publicity stunt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    What figures are you using for Henry's salary? Dude has made 4-5 million every year.

In any case, Henry wanted to live in NY. We are TFC, we have to overpay to get international stars to come here. And I honestly couldn't care less if MLSE has to spend a few million extra.

But you can't seriously think there's no substance to this signing? There's been too many reports on both sides of the Atlantic. It's way past the point of a publicity stunt.
    Henry came for 2 years at $5M per year in 2010. Total cost $10M. Re-upped for less in 2012. Total NY risk has never been more than $10M.

I agree that NY and LA get a discount, that is a valid point.

I agree that the discussions are real. They have to be at this point.

I just don't find this likely, from either side's pov. I am more than a little suspicious that there may be "insincerity" on the part of both parties, who would both have their reasons for making a lot of noise about this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry came for 2 years at $5M per year in 2010. Total cost $10M. Re-upped for less in 2012. Total NY risk has never been more than $10M.

I agree that NY and LA get a discount, that is a valid point.

I agree that the discussions are real. They have to be at this point.

I just don't find this likely, from either side's pov. I am more than a little suspicious that there may be "insincerity" on the part of both parties, who would both have their reasons for making a lot of noise about this.
    TFC in its usual role of bargaining chip? Someday, though, someone's actually going to have to sign with the team to make the 'negotiations' plausible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    TFC in its usual role of bargaining chip? Someday, though, someone's actually going to have to sign with the team to make the 'negotiations' plausible.
    Joao Pinto and Paul Dickov are both out of contract.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some of the numbers are getting blown out of proportion a bit in the media. Usually its agents who leak that kind of stuff and they want to drive them up for their cut.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're thinking of Beckham, he took a pay cut in 2012 to re-sign for two years. Henry signed a 4.5 year contract in 2010, and his guaranteed compensation was over 5 million the first 3 years. For a 32 year-old there was some risk for NYRB, but it's Thierry Henry so of course you do whatever you can to sign him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if MLS will increasingly become a bargaining chip. Especially with that "all scouts to find European talent for MLS" ultimatum/announcement bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus he won't sell tickets after 5-10 games.

Plus he's not really a draw on the road.

I find this story to be the most absurd publicly reported player acquisition story in TFC's history. Which is saying something given the Forlan thing.

I can only speculate about the motives of the people involved.

Barcelona gave the MLS Henry and Marquez for free no transfer fee was required. If the players wanted to move any other team Barcelona wanted a transfer fee. If I remeber correctly Barcelona did this as there were rumors they wanted a piece of the potential Miami team...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is 31 years old and a fringe player for the national team who is a best 5th choice striker. No team in England let alone Europe will give him 90,000 pounds a week on a 4 year deal. We as fans have to remeber that they are not normal employees they have a very limited window to make enough money to live comfortably for the balance of their lives, with a lifestyle they are accustom to. IMO, he is stupid not to take the deal as he will not make anything close to that for the balance of career in England. Plus he will end up going to Brazil for like two-three weeks max not even get a game and be back home right after the group stage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're thinking of Beckham, he took a pay cut in 2012 to re-sign for two years. Henry signed a 4.5 year contract in 2010, and his guaranteed compensation was over 5 million the first 3 years. For a 32 year-old there was some risk for NYRB, but it's Thierry Henry so of course you do whatever you can to sign him.
    I was sure their was an NY team option at the end of 2012, but I can't find it. I know the salary is dropping.

This says total dollars is around $15M, maybe a bit more.
    http://karllusbec.wordpress.com/2010...s-for-the-mls/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was sure their was an NY team option at the end of 2012, but I can't find it. I know the salary is dropping.

This says total dollars is around $15M, maybe a bit more.
    http://karllusbec.wordpress.com/2010...s-for-the-mls/
    You can go back and check the players union figures each year. He had a guaranteed compensation of $5.6M from 2010-12, and $4.3M this year. Assuming he got paid half in 2010 because he signed midway and will get $4M next year, that's a $22M commitment for NYRB. Still way less than the rumoured Defoe numbers, but that's only because Barcelona let Henry go without a transfer fee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can go back and check the players union figures each year. He had a guaranteed compensation of $5.6M from 2010-12, and $4.3M this year. Assuming he got paid half in 2010 because he signed midway and will get $4M next year, that's a $22M commitment for NYRB. Still way less than the rumoured Defoe numbers, but that's only because Barcelona let Henry go without a transfer fee.
    OK. I surrender. I am a sucker for the facts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    He is 31 years old and a fringe player for the national team who is a best 5th choice striker. No team in England let alone Europe will give him 90,000 pounds a week on a 4 year deal. We as fans have to remeber that they are not normal employees they have a very limited window to make enough money to live comfortably for the balance of their lives, with a lifestyle they are accustom to. IMO, he is stupid not to take the deal as he will not make anything close to that for the balance of career in England. Plus he will end up going to Brazil for like two-three weeks max not even get a game and be back home right after the group stage.
    Of course no one else will give him that money. That's why I said if he comes it's only for money, not for having a chance to play for England. And he still has a pretty good shot at that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto was sitting in Larry Tanenbaum's courtside Raptors seats tonight, wearing a TFC scarf.

Not quite a press conference and a picture with him holding a TFC shirt, but about as close as you can get. If you believe Cathal Kelly's latest article on TFC, the TFC FO are already apparently preparing their "player relocation" people as though the Defoe thing is a done deal too. Hodgson has said all of the right things to make it sound like he will give this move his blessing, too.

There's no doubt we will be wildly overpaying for Defoe, but if you're TL, this could be seen as a big short-term investment, to try and ensure a bright future (or any future at all) for one of their sports franchises, that could very well be worth exponentially more to them 10-20-30 years from now.

If they manage to pull off Gilberto, Defoe, AND bringing someone like DeRo back (Baz only confirms he spoke to his agent) - holy cow. Even if DeRo isn't the player he once was, just the act of bringing him back would be a powerful signal to fans that a new management era is upon us, and they don't want to make the same odious mistakes.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article on Defoe. I'm still skeptical AVB gets any more money in January to replace him, and this move will not happen unless they do.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...tenham-2915255

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Gilberto was sitting in Larry Tanenbaum's courtside Raptors seats tonight, wearing a TFC scarf.

Not quite a press conference and a picture with him holding a TFC shirt, but about as close as you can get. If you believe Cathal Kelly's latest article on TFC, the TFC FO are already apparently preparing their "player relocation" people as though the Defoe thing is a done deal too. Hodgson has said all of the right things to make it sound like he will give this move his blessing, too.

There's no doubt we will be wildly overpaying for Defoe, but if you're TL, this could be seen as a big short-term investment, to try and ensure a bright future (or any future at all) for one of their sports franchises, that could very well be worth exponentially more to them 10-20-30 years from now.

If they manage to pull off Gilberto, Defoe, AND bringing someone like DeRo back (Baz only confirms he spoke to his agent) - holy cow. Even if DeRo isn't the player he once was, just the act of bringing him back would be a powerful signal to fans that a new management era is upon us, and they don't want to make the same odious mistakes.

- Scott
    I predict Dero, Gilberto and Defoe sign and Dero outperforms and outplays the other two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You hope so, and I hope not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. Defoe wasn't in the squad/bench for today's Europa League match. I wonder if that means something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Soldado scored three goals. Hope he starts against Liverpool on Sunday.