Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Columbus Crew admit their logo/shield is garbage

Their new owner Precourt states they are really evaluating their horrible badge.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/11/...look-for-2015/

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It IS garbage. Shitty name too. There's a lot of history in Columbus and Ohio the club could have drawn from to create their identity.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Columbus Crewe Alexandra?...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new owner Precourt is ambitious and has a vision. Too early to tell whether he can transform Columbus Crew financially, but I do hope that he makes Columbus Crew a success. (but may they suck forever on the pitch...)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    The new owner Precourt is ambitious and has a vision. Too early to tell whether he can transform Columbus Crew financially, but I do hope that he makes Columbus Crew a success. (but may they suck forever on the pitch...)
    He's bang on. Columbus needs to rebrand as other MLS clubs have in the past. A new name and a new logo are an absolute must for that franchise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a) The word Crew is so late 80's...unless you meet up with a gang that uses that word and smoke some crack during a #drunkenstupour.

b) About Precourt's move to use the city name in the logo: Columbus wants to become big time, like Cincinnati and Cleveland.

c) This reminds me of Stephen Leacock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember the name of the company that does all the MLS logos and embroidery etc.. but my opinion of their work is not high.

A lot of it reminds me of minor league baseball / small-time outfits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    a) The word Crew is so late 80's...unless you meet up with a gang that uses that word and smoke some crack during a #drunkenstupour.

b) About Precourt's move to use the city name in the logo: Columbus wants to become big time, like Cincinnati and Cleveland.

c) This reminds me of Stephen Leacock.
    Good one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    He's bang on. Columbus needs to rebrand as other MLS clubs have in the past. A new name and a new logo are an absolute must for that franchise.
    Columbus Pisstains would work well for me. Their shield could look like an unclean urinal.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I can't remember the name of the company that does all the MLS logos and embroidery etc.. but my opinion of their work is not high.

A lot of it reminds me of minor league baseball / small-time outfits.
    Agreed. When we first got the leaf print jersey I picked one up at the stadium on game day. Got home, looked at the sleeve and the MLS patch was upside down. I debated on returning it, but ended up keeping it. Good conversation piece haha.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the new owner doesn't just change the terrible logo, but also shakes up the FO and do what they can to make the stadium more welcoming to all and lose their terrible xenophobe reputation. Maybe then people might want to actually visit there for a game.

Of course, it's still has the disadvantage of being in Columbus, one can't overcome that without moving the team (might be a good idea to consider it).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart move by the owner and even smarter to take his time. Maybe because I'm not from there, but neither the name or the badge make me envision Columbus or Ohio. He would be smart to move to something that better identifies the city or state and the people there. Anything that moves away from the old North American naming conventions for teams would be a good move forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Smart move by the owner and even smarter to take his time. Maybe because I'm not from there, but neither the name or the badge make me envision Columbus or Ohio. He would be smart to move to something that better identifies the city or state and the people there. Anything that moves away from the old North American naming conventions for teams would be a good move forward.
    not a requirement to be a success in MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    This pretty much sums up the whole MLS dilemma. Appeal to Americans without using American conventions. Going to be very difficult.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    This pretty much sums up the whole MLS dilemma. Appeal to Americans without using American conventions. Going to be very difficult.
    I like the examples of Indy Eleven, Virginia Cavalry and Philadelphia Union. Great names, US themed, drawn from historical / local references. Let's see more of this.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus Shitheads.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    I like the examples of Indy Eleven, Virginia Cavalry and Philadelphia Union. Great names, US themed, drawn from historical / local references. Let's see more of this.
    New England Revolution.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I hope the new owner doesn't just change the terrible logo, but also shakes up the FO and do what they can to make the stadium more welcoming to all and lose their terrible xenophobe reputation. Maybe then people might want to actually visit there for a game.

The interesting thing is they are centrally located for most teams in the East and are a doable road trip for everybody but Houston. Do it right, and the team and their environs could be making a shitload of money off of 200-2000 away supporters every couple of weeks. Every supporter group would bring their A game, and the atmosphere would be rocking.

Too much thinking outside the box though. North American home teams don't see the potential in away fans.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I always remain astounded by that very fact. The league and clubs seem far too preoccupied worrying about the potential bad behaviour of away fans - they just don't see the upside to having hundreds of fans showing a certain level of loyalty toward their respective clubs and injecting some more revenue into stadium box offices and the local economy.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.