Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe people are even making this suggestion. The last thing TFC needs is more head cases in the organization. Stay clear.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    Dero had his chance at immortality at T.F.C. screwed it up.
    Great talent in his prime, fading fast.
    Maybe one more season in him in this league at$100,000/$120,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    that's what i was thinking. Get him in as a cheaper vet if he'd be willing. Also his production this past season was cut short by his knee injury that he's now recovered from (and from Pontius being absent)
    He'd be decent as bench strength.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need Dero back as a player but maybe we could use him as some sort of mascot. Maybe dress him up in something like a chicken suit where he could use his pantomime skills more effectively than he does on the field. He could once again perform his chicken dance routine that doesn't get much use anymore or maybe even the cheque writing thingamajig. The chicken suit would also allow him to keep his pride as nobody would be able to see him. Time to move on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'll be back, he'll contribute, he'll be loved when we win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, 100 pages of Dero nonsense, here we go

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd be surprised if he comes back.

Still a decent player and can contribute to this team. He's old, but he's not injury prone, so now worries there.
    He shouldn't be captain - he'd be more of veteran depth - with that being said, he'd have to come in at a very low wage.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about we sign Dero and all fans get to line up and wack him with a paddle on the ass for his conduct and call it even.
    Then win the MLS cup.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of interest - what was wrong with his conduct? The team promised him a salary increase. Then they continuously refused to follow through, and eventually signed his best friend, who is significantly worse than him, and paid him way more. If I was treated that way by my employer, I'd go public with my demands too.

Oh, and bring him back. Obviously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was 100% on Dero's side. MLSE was in the wrong

You need spice on the team.

Dero was the most marketable player we had and we shat the bed on it.

The best players deserve the best money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we reacquire DeRo we definitely have to get Roogsy back on the boards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last season We had Rookies that were more effective then DeRo... He got injured two years ago and hasn't been the same. There are better players, and I think the Canadian replacement for DeRo is already on the TFC squad. Leave DeRo to the Americans.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If we reacquire DeRo we definitely have to get Roogsy back on the boards.

LOL. Neither is going to happen. #Mellowing with age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Just out of interest - what was wrong with his conduct? The team promised him a salary increase. Then they continuously refused to follow through, and eventually signed his best friend, who is significantly worse than him, and paid him way more. If I was treated that way by my employer, I'd go public with my demands too.

The entire point is that you're assuming absolute truth in these "promises" that were allegedly made to him. If he was promised DP status, or a pay raise after a couple of years, then he should have refused anything but a two year contract, so he had leverage to hold them to this promise.

The idea that a player (and his agent) would willingly sign a lengthy contract at a certain dollar value, a) based on some "promise" to be compensated later, and b) when he wants that raise before the term of the offered contract is up, just strains credibility to me. Who signs a long-term deal based on unbinding "promises" for the future? Knowing full well managers can be hired or fired at any time? The only credibility this story had, were certain people on this board (with ties to DeRo), who claimed this was the case, and DeRo himself. Except he gave other quotes, where it sounded more like he thought he had the team over a barrel because he was a "hometown boy" who he expected the team to "keep happy", and that's it.

And regardless of all of that, I completely understand the visceral negative reaction to a selfish, self-aggrandizing move after scoring a goal at the end of a season in which the team didn't deliver the goods again. If he'd done it after scoring a goal to put us up 2-0 late in the MLS Cup or something, the reaction might have been a bit less negative. Even some of his most hardened supporters at the time, admitted it was a stupid move.

At any rate, there isn't much point in drudging up years old arguments that were debated for weeks here. I'd take him back, at the right price. He isn't the player he used to be.

EDIT: And yeah, paying his friend a fortune to com here and be mediocre was a bad move, in retrospect. But you know what? That's what a high-level European football pedigree buys you, instead of an MLS lifer.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 11-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post

There's no logic in a lot of the anti-DeRo hate. People will always remember the cheque-signing gesture (despite many agreeing with his gripe) but conveniently forget his record while he was here. Again, in one season alone DeRo either scored or assisted in scoring over half the club's total goals. He remains the club's all-time goal leader as well - bagging 32 goals in 75 appearances with a rate of 1 goal every 2.3 games. The man carried the team on his shoulders time and time again (what, no-one remembers the Miracle in Montreal anymore?) but so many choose to remain very selective about their memories.

The guy wasn't perfect by any stretch, and Shakes highlights some good points. But stat-for-stat, it's hard to knock what he achieved for us. That said, that was then and this is now. He's definitely not the player he was.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 11-01-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The entire point is that you're assuming absolute truth in these "promises" that were allegedly made to him. If he was promised DP status, or a pay raise after a couple of years, then he should have refused anything but a two year contract, so he had leverage to hold them to this promise.

The idea that a player (and his agent) would willingly sign a lengthy contract at a certain dollar value, a) based on some "promise" to be compensated later, and b) when he wants that raise before the term of the offered contract is up, just strains credibility to me. Who signs a long-term deal based on unbinding "promises" for the future? Knowing full well managers can be hired or fired at any time? The only credibility this story had, were certain people on this board (with ties to DeRo), who claimed this was the case, and DeRo himself. Except he gave other quotes, where it sounded more like he thought he had the team over a barrel because he was a "hometown boy" who he expected the team to "keep happy", and that's it.

And regardless of all of that, I completely understand the visceral negative reaction to a selfish, self-aggrandizing move after scoring a goal at the end of a season in which the team didn't deliver the goods again. If he'd done it after scoring a goal to put us up 2-0 late in the MLS Cup or something, the reaction might have been a bit less negative. Even some of his most hardened supporters at the time, admitted it was a stupid move.

At any rate, there isn't much point in drudging up years old arguments that were debated for weeks here. I'd take him back, at the right price. He isn't the player he used to be.

EDIT: And yeah, paying his friend a fortune to com here and be mediocre was a bad move, in retrospect. But you know what? That's what a high-level European football pedigree buys you, instead of an MLS lifer.

- Scott
    I think I'd have to come at this from the opposite site of the spectrum. It's almost certainly a slam dunk it happened. We've seen how this club handled itself under Mo Johnston and directly after. Dero wasn't the only one reporting that they reneged on agreements. Adrian Cann, Eddie Sidra, and Bas Ent all reported that the club pulled the rug out from under them with things that were said but not honoured. Furthermore, it seemed like a lot of those negotiations were done with people who remained at the club after Johnston was fired. Do they all have stupid agents? I think it has a lot to do with TFC conducting themselves outside of the realm of normal business practices. It's a cost we undoubtedly paid for later. TFC needs flexibility to negotiate things that can't be put in writing, but with a reputation for reneging on promises who will go for that? Teams that operate at their word will be able to use things like that as a tool while TFC won't.

But even if we scrap out the goodwill side of it (which is hard for us to observe from the outside) isn't the bottom line this: we ultimately came away the loser from that conflict. Dero eventually got his money and a trade and continued to produce, while we never made the playoffs and never replaced his production.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    There's no logic in a lot of the anti-DeRo hate. People will always remember the cheque-signing gesture (despite many agreeing with his gripe) but conveniently forget his record while he was here. Again, in one season alone DeRo either scored or assisted in scoring over half the club's total goals. He remains the club's all-time goal leader as well - bagging 32 goals in 75 appearances with a rate of 1 goal every 2.3 games. The man carried the team on his shoulders time and time again (what, no-one remembers the Miracle in Montreal anymore?) but so many choose to remain very selective about their memories.

The guy wasn't perfect by any stretch, and Shakes highlights some good points. But stat-for-stat, it's hard to knock what he achieved for us. That said, that was then and this is now. He's definitely not the player he was.
    In 2012, he scored 7 and assisted in 12. That is 19 goals at, what, 34? DC was terrible this year. The argument can be made that on a better performing team, he has value. What team that is, I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think I'd have to come at this from the opposite site of the spectrum. It's almost certainly a slam dunk it happened. We've seen how this club handled itself under Mo Johnston and directly after. Dero wasn't the only one reporting that they reneged on agreements. Adrian Cann, Eddie Sidra, and Bas Ent all reported that the club pulled the rug out from under them with things that were said but not honoured. Furthermore, it seemed like a lot of those negotiations were done with people who remained at the club after Johnston was fired. Do they all have stupid agents? I think it has a lot to do with TFC conducting themselves outside of the realm of normal business practices. It's a cost we undoubtedly paid for later. TFC needs flexibility to negotiate things that can't be put in writing, but with a reputation for reneging on promises who will go for that? Teams that operate at their word will be able to use things like that as a tool while TFC won't.

But even if we scrap out the goodwill side of it (which is hard for us to observe from the outside) isn't the bottom line this: we ultimately came away the loser from that conflict. Dero eventually got his money and a trade and continued to produce, while we never made the playoffs and never replaced his production.
    Agreed. Always seemed like a 'gentlemen's agreement' minus the gentlemen. Respect and honour goes a long way in any business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a normal business practice for a player to sign, say, a four year contract, on the promise that in two years they will re-negotiate and pay him more? In such a scenario, is it not more normal to say "I'll sign a two year contract, at which point we will renegotiate a new extension"? Especially when the former example rests on a verbal promise by a manager who can be (and was!) fired at any moment in time?

I'd never argue for a moment that our management's reputation hasn't been dragged through shit, and our handling of a few players was utterly classless - but the DeRo situation always struck me as insane, as laid out by DeRo.

There's also no question that our on-field product suffered as a result of his absence, though that's beside the point of where fault lies in his dispute with his contract, and whether fans were justified in being annoyed with him.

Anyway, like I said, I'd really like to avoid re-adjudicating this entire argument again, when it couldn't be less relevant now. I spent way too many late nights exchanging essay-length posts with people like Roogsy back then.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya DeRo's conduct towards the last regime is being taken into question here, you mean his conduct towards those great soccer minds of the old MLSE regime guys like Anselmi and company ya those guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing any older player that has had injury problems is a risk. That risk affects salary. If the right "risk" salary could be hammered out I think DeRo is exactly what Nelsen is looking for. DeRo is a great example of a Canadian that "made it". Living proof that if the young Canadians we have work like professionals in all aspects like skills development, fitness, taking care of your body eating right etc etc etc (again, something DeRo is great at and is very open to share) then it only helps here. Remember, the people that are vocal at these "meet the big brass" sessions were going on and on about "hey, why aren't you giving Canadians more playing time" blah blah blah. I think from that aspect it is a fit.

Did DeRo get completely shafted by former ML$E brass? HELL YES (read above about promises of more $ then nothing and signing others for DP $ that didn't produce). While it was not good to do a cheque signing in public, I don't hate him for that. A LOT of people get influenced by the media around here and they went off on that because they knew they could make it a scandle....pppffftt.....crap.

You want to go back into memory lane about that cheque signing, then open your damn minds to the Miracle in Montreal. DeRo WILLED that to happen. He was unbelievable. He INSPIRED a bunch of non-Canadians to believe in the importance of that specific victory for ALL OF US! This is just one example of how his hard work and skill and inspiration could again be good for our club.

Sorry I don't want to sound like the "next coming..." but the man was incredible for us and I think he got the wrong end of the stick with former ML$E and media.

But back to what I said at the beginning. He is an aging player. He is still very good (as many would still want him on our National Team helping leading by example) but his salary needs to reflect an aging player that will have to do the MLS grind...sometimes on turf. It is a gamble.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. We don't need him and can get better production from the AM position for cheaper. You don't pay $200K for bench strength.

My loyalty is to the club, and if I'm going to spend finite feelings of loyalty towards a a guy who played here for what amounts to only a little over a season and a half's worth of games, its Dichio, not DeRo.

Move on.

Btw, until he is about 44, his name will come up every year on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Anyway, like I said, I'd really like to avoid re-adjudicating this entire argument again, when it couldn't be less relevant now. I spent way too many late nights exchanging essay-length posts with people like Roogsy back then.
    lol, yes I noticed the average number of words per post in this thread is 250 words or so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have signed some of the biggest jerks in MLS in Harmse, Ruiz, now Convey. How would a return of Dero, who would immediately be more productive than anybody on the current roster, be a bad thing? Kanye is the biggest asshole in America, but has an army of fans. Dero scores 2 goals for TFC in is first game and becomes the fan favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing will take away from the great player Dero was and his great contributions to TFC, but please, no more Dero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree completely. Time to move on, both for the club and the player. He should start making the transition from playing soccer to the next chapter of his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I think we have moved on and I like the direction we are going. DeRo was part of our history. I say let it be history and move on. Too much of a gamble to bring him back with his personality/ego issues he seems to have. He would not be happy to be a sub which is probably his best option at his current state of form and he wouldn't want much of a pay decrease which is not the direction we are going for players like him at his stage of career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What have you got against Convey? From what I've seen, he performs well on the field and is well-spoken off it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    We have signed some of the biggest jerks in MLS in Harmse, Ruiz, now Convey. How would a return of Dero, who would immediately be more productive than anybody on the current roster, be a bad thing? Kanye is the biggest asshole in America, but has an army of fans. Dero scores 2 goals for TFC in is first game and becomes the fan favorite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwell View Post
    What have you got against Convey? From what I've seen, he performs well on the field and is well-spoken off it.
    Just third hand info and from what I have read in this forum-Convey reported as acting like a schmuck around fans and their kids

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your Harmse story? Yeah the Convey thing doesn't sour me any. he just should've said "Sorry" instead of what he said. Players aren't obliged to give their shirts to just anyone who asks.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just third hand info and from what I have read in this forum-Convey reported as acting like a schmuck around fans and their kids
    it's true I heard the same story about Convey and it made me dislike him but I must say I saw him leaving after last game with his wife? , and the few kids that were there he graciously went up to them and signed anything they wanted and thanked them for the compliments , keeping his friends waiting ( who weren't interested .) so maybe we've been a bit harsh ? PS there is one group of kids that constantly bug all the players and are very pushy just to get free stuff,...AND thats all they are there for . So....to them I'd be the same , of course not to genuine fans .AND one can tell who they are .
    Last edited by jazzy; 11-04-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    What's your Harmse story? Yeah the Convey thing doesn't sour me any. he just should've said "Sorry" instead of what he said. Players aren't obliged to give their shirts to just anyone who asks.
    http://the11.ca/2013/09/04/canadian-...for-fce-match/