Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's probably poisoning their locker room too - dude doesn't like to be on a losing team, and makes it known.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He's probably poisoning their locker room too - dude doesn't like to be on a losing team, and makes it known.
    It was a shit team that lost all those games. DeRosario has proven that he's a goalscorer. If anything he has lost a step that only means that he needs the rest of the team to pick up the slack and provide him with some service. He would do well as a second striker behind someone like a Koevermans or even Ryan Johnson.

He's no DP thats for sure and that was DC United's fault for making him one at the down side of his career. TFC could pick him up for less than DP value. I hope they at least consider him an attacking option. I would like to see him being used like Francesco Totti or Del Piero on his last legs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Call me crazy, but let's take him back. He still has something to offer. The old regime is gone. No more cheque signing celebrations (not that I want him as a DP).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. DeRo back in TFC red. I wonder.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo has to go through re-entry draft first, but TFC should be able to pick him up in 2nd rd
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo strikes me as the type of guy with too much pride to come back here again, despite the article's suggestion that it opens the possibility. I'd be happy to have him, if there was a fit, and for the right dollar amount. The quotes from the end of that article still raise my hackles though, even after a couple of years:
    "I couldn't play unhappy," he said shortly after his trade to New York. "You would expect (TFC) to keep their hometown boy as comfortable as possible. I didn't sense that."

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted him gone after the cheque signing thing. But anybody who doesn't want him back now is Scrooge McDuck.

It's not like bringing him in causes problems because it wrecks our chemistry - we have no chemistry.

He is one of us, love him or hate him.

If he'll come in for 200K, come on home, Number 14.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think DeRo has too much pride to return. I'd take him as backup at AM though if the price was right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He killed my respect with is dolla dolla bills bull shit. He's talking about being taken care of as the hometown boy, but embarrassing the club wasn't the right way to go about it. Id take Silva back before him. This is just my opinion, as a part time dero hater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He killed my respect with is dolla dolla bills bull shit. He's talking about being taken care of as the hometown boy, but embarrassing the club wasn't the right way to go about it. Id take Silva back before him. This is just my opinion, as a part time dero hater.
    Bingo. Being taken care of? This isn't the Muskoa 5 version of the leafs. Taking care of him is giving him a paycheck and DP spot like he wanted when he did his little paycheck dance. Sorry he burned this bridge. No one man is bigger than the club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    It was a shit team that lost all those games. DeRosario has proven that he's a goalscorer. If anything he has lost a step that only means that he needs the rest of the team to pick up the slack and provide him with some service. He would do well as a second striker behind someone like a Koevermans or even Ryan Johnson
    Thats crazy talk. The team has to step up for him to play?

And when did he prove to be a goal scorer? Not this year. he contributed 3 goals to DC this year (1 from a penalty), the same amount that silva scored in 3 games, and he came half way through the season. Koef was also a goal scorer, but now he can't play - times change. DeRo got injured in the CMNT game, and wasn't the same after. He also had a abductor injury that kept him out for a whole. The guy is over the hill - I wouldn't take him for more than 70k as depth. Sorry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wanted him gone after the cheque signing thing. But anybody who doesn't want him back now is Scrooge McDuck.

It's not like bringing him in causes problems because it wrecks our chemistry - we have no chemistry.

He is one of us, love him or hate him.

If he'll come in for 200K, come on home, Number 14.
    I feel the same way, but like I said, I just don't see him doing it unless his only other option is retirement. It might not be the same management group, but it's still MLSE.

And I too was one of the people who was fine with him being shipped out after all of the nonsense about his contract. That quote in the article about him expecting TFC to "take care of a hometown boy" just brought all of those feelings back to the surface again. But frankly, he's still a Canadian soccer icon, and I want to win more than I want to satisfy my ego over old conflicts. And if he's gotten over what happened, then I can too.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't think DeRo coming back would work. Too much bad blood between him and the club. Frankly, we have so many other options open to us, I just don't see what he could offer at the moment. Hey, if he came up with a good price we could certainly discuss it, but it all sounds very unlikely.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah the dichotomy of the Toronto sports fan, wants an A-type performance and a b-type personality. Does such a thing exist? Forget the talk of attitude. He's getting old and didn't come off that last injury very well. That's the bottom line here.

He'll come at a reasonable price for whoever gets him, but it won't be us. Think he will serve as an off the bench attacking option for one of his other prior clubs such as Houston or San Jose.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting aside his role in turning the 2010 and 2011 seasons into complete fiascoes, which in my opinion should bar him from ever having anything to do with TFC again, he's 35 now. His time is probably up. Better to look forward than sign some washed up hasbeen based on a wave of nostalgia over what he used to be able to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Ah the dichotomy of the Toronto sports fan, wants an A-type performance and a b-type personality. Does such a thing exist?
    If by this you mean A-level results, without the alpha or "diva" personality traits, then absolutely they do. Lots of them in the NHL. Guys like Steve Nash or Jose Bautista in other sports leagues.

This phenomenon where contracts are written on napkins, and management are expected to keep players "as comfortable as possible" lest they be forced to "play unhappy", is sort of unique to soccer. Especially when "as comfortable as possible" means "I decided I want more money right now, regardless of the contract I signed". In hockey, it's almost unheard of (and extremely notable when it happens).

Of course, DeRo's situation was always complicated by accusations that he was lured here due to promises to make him a DP at a later date, by Mo. My response was always that, even if that were true, either his agent is an idiot, or he is. Who signs a multi-year deal they don't like, based on a verbal, unbinding promise to make him a made man later?

Compound that with the selfish cheque-signing incident after scoring a goal in a meaningless game, in another lost season, and I wasn't sad to see him go at the time.

I'd be perfectly willingly to forget all of that to bring him home one last time, but only at a dollar figure that makes sense for us, because he isn't the player he used to be. The guy is still a Canadian soccer hero - I just don't like how he conducted himself on a few crucial occasions.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I just don't think DeRo coming back would work. Too much bad blood between him and the club.
    How can there be any bad blood? In 2014 there will be nobody left at the Club from his last stint here except Morgan and Henry.

The one advantage of having a revolving door player/coach/management policy.
    Last edited by Initial B; 10-31-2013 at 08:15 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we have moved on and I like the direction we are going. DeRo was part of our history. I say let it be history and move on. Too much of a gamble to bring him back with his personality/ego issues he seems to have. He would not be happy to be a sub which is probably his best option at his current state of form and he wouldn't want much of a pay decrease which is not the direction we are going for players like him at his stage of career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a AM on a sub 200k contract sure.. he scored 3 goals last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If by this you mean A-level results, without the alpha or "diva" personality traits, then absolutely they do. Lots of them in the NHL. Guys like Steve Nash or Jose Bautista in other sports leagues.

This phenomenon where contracts are written on napkins, and management are expected to keep players "as comfortable as possible" lest they be forced to "play unhappy", is sort of unique to soccer. Especially when "as comfortable as possible" means "I decided I want more money right now, regardless of the contract I signed". In hockey, it's almost unheard of (and extremely notable when it happens).

Of course, DeRo's situation was always complicated by accusations that he was lured here due to promises to make him a DP at a later date, by Mo. My response was always that, even if that were true, either his agent is an idiot, or he is. Who signs a multi-year deal they don't like, based on a verbal, unbinding promise to make him a made man later?

Compound that with the selfish cheque-signing incident after scoring a goal in a meaningless game, in another lost season, and I wasn't sad to see him go at the time.

I'd be perfectly willingly to forget all of that to bring him home one last time, but only at a dollar figure that makes sense for us, because he isn't the player he used to be. The guy is still a Canadian soccer hero - I just don't like how he conducted himself on a few crucial occasions.

- Scott
    Oh I hear ya, it was somewhat of an intentionally provocative statement, but I say it to draw a line between bad managers and out of control personalities. You can't write contracts on napkins with people who will stab you in the back. Even Nash, when he had to leave Dallas because they wouldn't pay him things were pretty nasty. He wasn't above talking about it in the media.

That being said I think the majority of the superstars out there are in a diva sort of mold where they'll fly off the handle if they don't get what they want. Good organizations know how to handle stuff like that to keep people happy.

MLSE had a really poor understanding of this. These aren't run-of-the-mill corporate peons, they are rare talents. Take the most infamous example: Vince Carter's mom's sparking spot. Was it a good idea to issue in the first place? No. Was taking it away in a vindictive fashion helping anything? Certainly not. It just perpetuated a battle between the player and the team. In the grand scheme of things they were paying him 14m a season, he was the face of the franchise, if they needed to give him a stupid extra parking spot so he wouldn't cry and keep it together on the court they should have done it.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-31-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Call me crazy, but let's take him back. He still has something to offer. The old regime is gone. No more cheque signing celebrations (not that I want him as a DP).
    DERO to TFC, I would be onboard with that announcement

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with bringing back Dero at a reduced salary... like $200k a year max.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the makings of a good YOUNG team that, according to the year end interviews posted, seem to be on the same page in terms of taking up a hard nosed team spirit that mirrors Nelsen's approach. I saw a very positive take from most of the interviews (even Frei and Ecks had positive things to say about Nelsen and the direction of the team). Now you want to bring back a known disruptive force who is well past his prime and who would be wanting a level of compensation likely out of balance with his current real value. I'm not willing to take that chance, based on his recent performance. Stick with the programme, FFS.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    We have the makings of a good YOUNG team that, according to the year end interviews posted, seem to be on the same page in terms of taking up a hard nosed team spirit that mirrors Nelsen's approach. I saw a very positive take from most of the interviews (even Frei and Ecks had positive things to say about Nelsen and the direction of the team). Now you want to bring back a known disruptive force who is well past his prime and who would be wanting a level of compensation likely out of balance with his current real value. I'm not willing to take that chance, based on his recent performance. Stick with the programme, FFS.
    This. Plus, a backup midfielder on $200k is MLS salary-cap suicide. The one thing that this club has been consistently excellent at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say bring him back and make him fight for a role on a salary that fits within our budget.

TFC potentially hold all of the cards if nobody else wants him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nostalgic side of me would love to see DeRo back in Toronto. However, not sure Nelsen feels the same way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    I say bring him back and make him fight for a role on a salary that fits within our budget. TFC potentially hold all of the cards if nobody else wants him.
    This. It's not like we're oozing with talent in the midfield. If it's a choice of retirement, or coming here, I don't see the problem in signing the guy to a contract at 200K max. In all likelihood, we won't be getting all our fancy DPs right away anyway, so I see no harm in him being there to provide depth. Of course, that all depends on if he's interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero had his chance at immortality at T.F.C. screwed it up.
    Great talent in his prime, fading fast.
    Maybe one more season in him in this league at$100,000/$120,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    Dero had his chance at immortality at T.F.C. screwed it up.
    Great talent in his prime, fading fast.
    Maybe one more season in him in this league at$100,000/$120,000.
    that's what i was thinking. Get him in as a cheaper vet if he'd be willing. Also his production this past season was cut short by his knee injury that he's now recovered from (and from Pontius being absent)