Page 81 of 215 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    “I’m coming to a very good side. I also appreciate the quality of life here. And I want to open a new market in Major League Soccer for Brazilians. The primary job is to win titles.”

Well ain't that some shit? ... interesting statement indeed.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to fall for this TimTim regime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how many Christmas gifts depend on renewals, probably not much.
    But you have to think between now and the 25th, there's going to be a lot of action.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So looks like TFC has found their nationality, oops mean identity lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCC6sOlo43M

Here is a pretty impressive clip of Valdivia.

Based purely on reading his wiki bio and watching a few youtube clips, i'd have to say id be 100% on board with giving the guy a shot...

That being said, after reading thru the info it seems to me that he would have to be a DP based on the transfer fees paid for him in the past, as well as his popularity in South America. He is only 30, so he must have gas in the tank still. The footwork in that video I posted was mind boggling... He looks like he could make quite a few MLS defenders look foolish... One might say he would tear this lea-- No, I won't do it...

But seriously, i'm curious if it would be possible to even get him (if we do indeed sign the Brazilian DP + a high caliber Euro DP). Clearly we can't put any stock into rumours of this player just yet, with one tweet from South America linking him to TFC... Maybe he is just one of the "B-Level DP" options that TFC explored before closing in on Gilberto?

I'm hoping for a loan deal for this one. The DP tag could be avoided this way for a year or two then a payday if it works out for his current club and Valdivia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure we can put stock into the rumour... isn't that him at the acc?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I'm hoping for a loan deal for this one. The DP tag could be avoided this way for a year or two then a payday if it works out for his current club and Valdivia.
    It'd be nice to get Valdivia on loan, but you have to ask, what's in it for Palmeiras to let one of their key players go on loan? Add in loan fee, Valdivia's wage (which I'm assuming is pretty big, considering his pedigree) and he's going to end up in DP range anyways.

Also, don't want to add too many players at 300k range, you don't get much roster flexibility. But I'd love to have someone like Valdivia with TFC.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCC6sOlo43M

Here is a pretty impressive clip of Valdivia.

Based purely on reading his wiki bio and watching a few youtube clips, i'd have to say id be 100% on board with giving the guy a shot...

That being said, after reading thru the info it seems to me that he would have to be a DP based on the transfer fees paid for him in the past, as well as his popularity in South America. He is only 30, so he must have gas in the tank still. The footwork in that video I posted was mind boggling... He looks like he could make quite a few MLS defenders look foolish... One might say he would tear this lea-- No, I won't do it...

But seriously, i'm curious if it would be possible to even get him (if we do indeed sign the Brazilian DP + a high caliber Euro DP). Clearly we can't put any stock into rumours of this player just yet, with one tweet from South America linking him to TFC... Maybe he is just one of the "B-Level DP" options that TFC explored before closing in on Gilberto?
    Beware the legacy of Denilson.

This guy has transferred for a big fee several times but he doesn't play more than 20 games a season? I wonder if there's more to him than stepovers, especially when his best season, by age 30, consisted of three goals (although Wiki claims many more than other sources). Maybe he sets a lot of people up; he plays regularly for the Chilean national team, so there might be a good upside as a setup man.
    Last edited by jloome; 12-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    It'd be nice to get Valdivia on loan, but you have to ask, what's in it for Palmeiras to let one of their key players go on loan? Add in loan fee, Valdivia's wage (which I'm assuming is pretty big, considering his pedigree) and he's going to end up in DP range anyways.

Also, don't want to add too many players at 300k range, you don't get much roster flexibility. But I'd love to have someone like Valdivia with TFC.

Yeah I hear you. It was more me hoping out loud.

The only way we get our "High End" DP and Valdivia is if the league plays 'Wacky Garber Bucks' with Valdivia's loan-deal/contract, or as I have been speculating in several posts recently the league introduces a 4th DP (or perhaps some other significant new league mechanism in 2014) for getting higher end player loan agreements that don't offer huge cap hits until the player is proven in the league.

Again, just hoping out loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MLS has not been a player for this type of player historically. These guys go to Russia, the Gulf states, and Japan.

$5M is the right amount of risk, not $50M.

I am impressed. The Gilberto move is the right kind of dramatic move for this league/team.
    Exactly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hope these DP signings are mentally tough. This will be a tough year. This team needs to upgrade about 7 domestic players before it can contend, no way that can all happen in 2014.
    This too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    Well ain't that some shit? ... interesting statement indeed.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to fall for this TimTim regime.
    This looks like the kind of thing Payne was trying to do. Just sayin'

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne didn't have enough allocation.

Last year starting 11 for Game 1

XI: Bendik; Eckersley, Califf, O'Dea, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Hall, Ephraim; Bekker, Earnshaw

Subs:
    Roberts; Agbossoumonde, Russell, Osorio, Welshman, Wiedeman, T. Morgan

Osorio was an afterthought for most of us. and Bekker was probably starting because Payne insisted.Seattle game to start next season will seem like a world away from that team, methinks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Last year starting 11 for Game 1

XI: Bendik; Eckersley, Califf, O'Dea, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Hall, Ephraim; Bekker, Earnshaw

Subs:
    Roberts; Agbossoumonde, Russell, Osorio, Welshman, Wiedeman, T. Morgan

Osorio was an afterthought for most of us. and Bekker was probably starting because Payne insisted.Seattle game to start next season will seem like a world away from that team, methinks.
    Looking back at that line up, makes me cringe.
    I hope Nelsen is the right man for the job... With the way the pieces have been coming together so far, this team has to content in 2014, otherwise Lieweke was right when he said "we might lose it forever"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This looks like the kind of thing Payne was trying to do. Just sayin'
    I know what you mean. TFC has beat me down just as bad as the next guy over the years.

I'd be happy if we made mid table next season. Just judging by the moves made so far I think there's a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Beware the legacy of Denilson.

This guy has transferred for a big fee several times but he doesn't play more than 20 games a season? I wonder if there's more to him than stepovers, especially when his best season, by age 30, consisted of three goals (although Wiki claims many more than other sources). Maybe he sets a lot of people up; he plays regularly for the Chilean national team, so there might be a good upside as a setup man.
    Lol I try really hard to avoid youtube scouting... (That being said I must have watched the goal at 0:45 of the video i posted about 5 times...)

His wiki article indicates that he has had a couple injuries during his second stint at Palmeiras:

"Valdívia is once again injured. He has been injured for over one third of the time of his current spell at Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras."

Also though, that when he broke out for Colo Colo he was their top scoerer at a young age:

"
    He scored his first competitive goal for the club in a 3–2 away win over Unión San Felipe, scoring the victory goal at 89th minute. After a lack of opportunities during the Apertura tournament, for the Clausura, he was a high-profile player of Colo-Colo, being the club's top goalscorer with 9 goals in 16 appearances."

This indicates he must have some play making ability. From the 2007 season in Brazil:

"
    Against Corinthians in a 3–0 victory, he played a notable match providing three assists to Edmundo. After the match Caio Júnior said that: “Valdivia is the new star of Brazilian football after Tévez”."

Anyways, just one of the more interesting names TFC have been linked with more recently in my opinion. Obviously taking it all with a grain of salt since I hadn't heard of the guy until this evening.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QUOTE=Canary10;1625952]Ah, sorry. Sometimes hard to get sarcasm over a message board.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no problem. Sometimes I forget that we're all not in the pub just throwing ideas into the air.....I enjoy the knowledgeable here on the boards giving it to me , 'correcting' me more like it,... believe me I need it.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only known what I've seen on youtube like the rest but...lol:

His style draws defenders in when he's not breaking on the counterattack. It usually means that he will have to take contact to retain possession and that typically comes in the form of a free kick rather than the spectacular dribble. In a league like MLS, he would probably get injured. I would assume injuries are the reason he is being shopped by Palmeiras. Most MLS teams press on defense as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Toronto offer £8M-a-year to Chelsea striker Eto'o" , seen a few tweets about TFC offering a "stunning" contract for Eto'o, don't know if this is a true story but....

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...r-etoo-3996035

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are this season's crazy team with money out there away from Europe.

Rumours sell eyeballs.

OK, I just read that and its an obvious wind up stolen by some wannabe from twitter:

"However, he is understood to be excited by the chance to join a more affluent MLS side, such as LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Seattle Sounders or DC United."
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-11-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

s.

What?

Payne had the most allocation of any team in the league. Remember the draft? He also had the you really suck allocation for finishing last overall in 2012.

He just didn't do anything with it.

The current group has far less allocation than he did. I don't wish to re-open this can of worms, but the man gets a whole lot of love for putting together a wooden spoon team and six playoff misses in his last seven combined seasons (while watching as team he was pushed from wins a second wooden spoon).

He's incompetent and will never work in MLS management again because he's a bloody joke in league circles.

Lieweke is a showman, but has a history of getting stuff done. Bez is unproven, but a smart cookie. Cautious optimism is in order.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This quote worries me:

I’m coming to a very good side.
    I know Tim L. is a very good saleman, but what will Gilberto think when he discovers he's signed for the "worst team in the world?" TM
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This quote worries me:

I know Tim L. is a very good saleman, but what will Gilberto think when he discovers he's signed for the "worst team in the world?" TM
    But the Tims probably let him look at the framework of what they are trying/expecting to do. They probably showed him how parity works in MLS, how our team improved defensively and dropped an assload of points late in games due to poor scoring, and brushed him up on TL's track record. Then they show him the money, the stadiums, the teams, and the condos of MLSE and it'd be hard to not be impressed as a new comer to our sports landscape. If you have the right salesman making the pitch then Toronto has a lot to offer players from abroad. It's not like any of them are aware of our shitty past beforehand and with our entirely new FO it's easy to dismiss again, as long as you have a good salesman making the pitch. Now we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just gone back 2-3 pages, are the Jorge Valdiva rumours all from that one tweet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This quote worries me:

Who knows, perhaps we will have a very good side by the time the off season makeover is complete.

Oh, ye of little faith.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post

Payne had the most allocation of any team in the league. Remember the draft? He also had the you really suck allocation for finishing last overall in 2012.
    I was talking in reference to somebody who said what is happening now sounds a lot like Payne's approach; Payne had to use a lot of allocation to dump a few contracts out the door - Hasli comes to mind.

Not saying Payne is perfect.

Just saying he had to deal with a lot of crud.

And, we gained allocation after he left in that Urrutti trade, IIRC.

We had a lot of crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If and when these players sign and suit up for the first game together we will have a lot of Latin flair up front with the exception of Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was talking in reference to somebody who said what is happening now sounds a lot like Payne's approach; Payne had to use a lot of allocation to dump a few contracts out the door - Hasli comes to mind.

Not saying Payne is perfect.

Just saying he had to deal with a lot of crud.

And, we gained allocation after he left in that Urrutti trade, IIRC.

We had a lot of crap.
    That was me. A young South American DP fits with Paynes approach, not Tim L's. Its quite possible that this guy was scouted before he left.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    That was me. A young South American DP fits with Paynes approach, not Tim L's. Its quite possible that this guy was scouted before he left.
    But it might be Tim B's approach. Could be a Tim B. contact or on his radar from when he was doing MLS contracts prior to coming here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    What?

He just didn't do anything with it.

The current group has far less allocation than he did. I don't wish to re-open this can of worms, but the man gets a whole lot of love for putting together a wooden spoon team and six playoff misses in his last seven combined seasons (while watching as team he was pushed from wins a second wooden spoon).

He's incompetent and will never work in MLS management again because he's a bloody joke in league circles.

Lieweke is a showman, but has a history of getting stuff done. Bez is unproven, but a smart cookie. Cautious optimism is in order.
    He had six months here. Six months.

In which time he got out from under a number of bad contracts, and saved up some allocation for the next guy to use.

In his short time, we added three MLS -quality non-dps - Osorio, Laba, Caldwell. That's not bad.

The only thing I really don't like were the draft day trades, they were terrible (I'd rather have RJ and Farrell, instead of Earnshaw, Bekker and what allocation was left).

The Forlan obsession doesn't look any different, to my eyes, than the Defoe obsession. Neither one makes any real sense.

He may or may not be incompetent, but you sure as hell can't conclude that from the data.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming Gilberto is locked down this week or next, we also make a few trades/signings within MLS or through the re-entry draft, this will have to be the most stable pre-season we've had in years. Hopefully it will make a difference and the addition of another DP in March or July will just be a little icing on the cake and not a prayer.