Page 6 of 215 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    We should have grabbed up Kevin Prince Boateng.... hahaha
    I was truly going to mention him. He is the Type he may relish being the star in a big city. My problem with him is that his physical/technical assets are that of a Center Forward, but he plays AM and is not constant enough of a finisher for a cf. But i got to tell you as a CF in this league he could be great. Big, strong, fast, great shot, can get up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I was truly going to mention him. He is the Type he may relish being the star in a big city. My problem with him is that his physical/technical assets are that of a Center Forward, but he plays AM and is not constant enough of a finisher for a cf. But i got to tell you as a CF in this league he could be great. Big, strong, fast, great shot, can get up.
    Exactly. And regardless of what league he is in he will always be allowed in his national team. His character has been questioned, but not in any way detrimental to the team. Hes almost 27 and Toronto would be a good spot for him.

I think we need to look into a guy like him who's style matches that of MLS. You pair him up front with a finisher.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Exactly. And regardless of what league he is in he will always be allowed in his national team.
    Probably why he chose Ghana after playing for U21 Germany.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing of note today, AVB shooting down the Defoe reports isn't news worthy, it's standard operating stuff. The explanation about Nelly talking to Defoe is nice though, shows that this is very much an amicable conversation.

Otherwise, you know, he could of said something else, legally speaking..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimmy Neilsen is done. Frei will be his replacement in SKC...100 P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I find the number of top level names allegedly being considered truly disheartening. There are so many options out there that are as good, cheaper, younger in some cases and definitely available at this sort of coin. This is about the promo end, the big name. Rarely does that perfectly intersect with who a team actually needs to be more competitive. ANyone remember Becks' disastrous first year in LA? It was a f'ing shambles until Arena came in and rebuilt the core of the team around top-producing bargains like Juninho (a loan for three years made permanent), Sarvas and youngsters like De La Garza and Gonzalez (another TFC draft reject, let's all cringe together now.)

I think Defoe would be great; but the idea that we should be wedded to him or Quagliarela or Gillardino or anyone by now is just stupid.
    right on brother.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't have to be an unknown; that's certainly a good place to look to build up the technique in this squad, but I'm talking about players from SA or other parts of the world who have already made it to Europe and have proven themselves. If we're paying $10 mil plus transfer fees, as the Gilardino story, we can compete for guys who are young and productive but won't ever get back to the world's big clubs, guys like Crouch or Ricky Lambert, or if we're ambitious someone like Huntelaar (I know he just signed an extension, but it's an example of the type.) There are a lot of "class B" players who are word class and make their national teams, but don't cost as much as a top former EPL striker.

Robbie Keane was a great example, although the timing was great there on his contract, admittedly.
    all your comments are frighteningly real to me......I'm very afraid of losing the 'team' concept, if I make any sense , with one over the top signing. Imagine if any of these 'saviours' come in with any attitude comparable to Mista. We're dead . What with every team gunning to show us up , even more than now . (If that is possible)...All the team has to do is shut down our 'star'. Yesterday Liverpool (with 2 top strikers) was stymied by a much stronger Arsenal mid .(excuse me for enjoying that). Sure it'll be neat watching a super star but we have to have a strong team that can survive without him or it's simply 'icing' .

PS too bad Craig Bellamy wasn't 30 , cheaper and willing to visit TO.....that would be fun.
    Last edited by jazzy; 11-03-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gianluca Di Marzio is reporting that Genoa has accepted Toronto FC's $6 million offer for Alberto Gilardino.

http://www.vavel.com/en-us/mls/30035...gilardino.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat, but I'll believe it when I see the Presser with a shirt with his name on it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the source: http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calc...ta-i-dettagli/

Google Translate:
    Offer increased. The Toronto press, wants Alberto Gilardino. At Genoa have been proposed 6 million, already accepted by society rossoblu. Now the ball passes to the attacker, who must make his decision. And 'ready a four by three million per year. A purchase anyway for the next season, which would be left with Gilardino to Genoa on loan until the end of the season. If Gilardino will not accept the transfer in Major League Soccer, the Toronto will tack on Defoe in which the negotiation is already underway. The intention is to close one of the two talks in the coming days.
    I think it's saying TFC will buy Gilardino and loan him back to Genoa until the end of their season. In any case Gilardino still has to decide himself if he wants to come here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All up to Gilardino to accept now. That is the biggest thing. But yes not celebrating until I see a video of them making his shirt lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    ....But yes not celebrating until I see a video of them making his shirt lol
    My lasting memories of this summer's transfer window will be:

a) rollerblade guy

b) that shirt video

Two scales of epic that will be hard to ever beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id rather have Quag's...better one on one and has a rocket of a shot! Plus when u play with Gila he needs service and ppl who can cross the ball, if he gets that service he can score a shit ton. I just hope they realze they need an AM just as bad as they need a striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets see if this gets confirmed soon. still hoping we can lock up defoe too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Gilardino turns it down, if that is indeed the offer. I realize how hard it is to bring in a DP in the winter...but thinking about them missing the first five months of the regular season...and to be possibly tired for the remaining three months just makes me depressed.

But if that's how TFC has to sign the DPs they want, okay. But that will definitely not convince me to renew for an 8th season. Bez better do a damn fine job of acquiring a supporting cast to be in contention when the 'heavy hitters' arrive.

I have a very limited amount of money and can't face another season of waste...let alone telling my wife she was right...AGAIN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    I hope Gilardino turns it down, if that is indeed the offer. I realize how hard it is to bring in a DP in the winter...but thinking about them missing the first five months of the regular season...and to be possibly tired for the remaining three months just makes me depressed.

But if that's how TFC has to sign the DPs they want, okay. But that will definitely not convince me to renew for an 8th season. Bez better do a damn fine job of acquiring a supporting cast to be in contention when the 'heavy hitters' arrive.

I have a very limited amount of money and can't face another season of waste...let alone telling my wife she was right...AGAIN!!

Yep, and Defoe > Gilardino. But why not both, I wonder who the other person we are targetting if we do Gilardino.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, David Beckham's signing didn't mean LA Galaxy got to control their man for the full tenure. He went off and played in A.C. Milan as he pleased until after the World Cup. The World Cup seems to dictate what international-level players will or won't do for MLS sides, and that looks to be the case here, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Genoa coach says Gilardino should not come to Toronto because "It's too cold" and in Genoa the weather is better. Which, I agree, but still a humorous reason for Genoa's coach to give.

http://translate.google.ca/translate...-grande-merito

Genoa's coach must be putting a lot of garbage thoughts into Gilardino's head for him not to sign with TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Remember, David Beckham's signing didn't mean LA Galaxy got to control their man for the full tenure. He went off and played in A.C. Milan as he pleased until after the World Cup. The World Cup seems to dictate what international-level players will or won't do for MLS sides, and that looks to be the case here, too.
    Yes. Dempsey will be on loan in the EPL 5 minutes after the Sounders are done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this kind of activity is completely nuts. They are grinding the players into bits with the number of fixtures they are allowing them to play over the course of a year.

Not a great way to get a return on your high priced investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think this kind of activity is completely nuts. They are grinding the players into bits with the number of fixtures they are allowing them to play over the course of a year.

Not a great way to get a return on your high priced investment.
    I agree. They seriously need to have other targets that can come straight in, I'm sick of this mid season acquisition crap where the player is either dead or were already done in the league standings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen said they are looking for 2-4 starters to come in who are "hardened MLS types".

To me, the off season will be as much judged based on who those people are as the DP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who are interested in Lampard: "You have to question Mourinho’s logic in starting Frank Lampard. The veteran midfielder has been a passenger out there most weeks, and he did nothing in this one to suggest he deserves more starts. Mourinho needs to throw off the shackles, bench Lampard"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    For those who are interested in Lampard: "You have to question Mourinho’s logic in starting Frank Lampard. The veteran midfielder has been a passenger out there most weeks, and he did nothing in this one to suggest he deserves more starts. Mourinho needs to throw off the shackles, bench Lampard"
    I thought the same thing watching the Chelsea game this weekend. Over the hill midfielders won't cut it as our DPs. Hope they steer clear of this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all this player speculation ---start the season/mid season arrival---the main consideration must be;
    50 POINTS WILL BE NEEDED TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFs.
    Can this team get 30 points before the (new arrivals in the summer) get here.
    In 7 years we have not had 15/20 in that time.
    How will a mid season signing make the difference?
    WE NEED A TEAM FROM THE START!!!
    That is the biggest and most important thin we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were Nelsen I'd be hesitant to sign anybody who can't be here until the summer window. An early drop in form is a major threat to his job security.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    The Genoa coach says Gilardino should not come to Toronto because "It's too cold" and in Genoa the weather is better. Which, I agree, but still a humorous reason for Genoa's coach to give.

http://translate.google.ca/translate...-grande-merito

Genoa's coach must be putting a lot of garbage thoughts into Gilardino's head for him not to sign with TFC
    He does not need to talk garbage about TFC,he only needs to tell him the truth and show him our record in last 7 years,Gilardino will be able to realize on his own that in fact we were and are garbage since 2007.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nelsen said they are looking for 2-4 starters to come in who are "hardened MLS types".

To me, the off season will be as much judged based on who those people are as the DP's.
    Yes yes yes yes. The DPs will add a lot of potential but these 2-4 MLS starters may strongly influence how actually effective any DP brought in (whether in January or July) may be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Again, while I recognize the inherent culture shock of a league with lots of travel and a weird seasonal schedule compared to other FIFA nations, the reality is that they should be looking well beyond just "hardened MLS players" to players who have a step up in technique. This team lacked goals and offensive production more than anything last season.

There are guys in the league who fit that bill, of course; a guy like Omar Cummings for example or Kenny Cooper, both starters in this league and both on the bench these days, could certainly contribute. Mattocks might be on the market, too.

But there are also guys like Valencia at Portland, Koffie at Vancouver, Rivero and Reyes at Colorado, who were signed as top players in smaller South American leagues or from Africa and can contribute as well, and who will likely hit the cap less.

I hope most of what we're hearing is just oversimplified bluster and that they're considering all options, doing proper due diligence. THis is what is REALLY lacking in every TFC offseason, having an infrastructure geared towards achievement by covering the bases and the basics.

Also, we need a starting center back. Doneil is not ready yet. Ideally, we need a technical midfielder as well who can take pressure off Osorio and free him up to play both inside and on the wing, partic. if we stick with the 442.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, while I recognize the inherent culture shock of a league with lots of travel and a weird seasonal schedule compared to other FIFA nations, the reality is that they should be looking well beyond just "hardened MLS players" to players who have a step up in technique. This team lacked goals and offensive production more than anything last season.

There are guys in the league who fit that bill, of course; a guy like Omar Cummings for example or Kenny Cooper, both starters in this league and both on the bench these days, could certainly contribute. Mattocks might be on the market, too.

But there are also guys like Valencia at Portland, Koffie at Vancouver, Rivero and Reyes at Colorado, who were signed as top players in smaller South American leagues or from Africa and can contribute as well, and who will likely hit the cap less.

I hope most of what we're hearing is just oversimplified bluster and that they're considering all options, doing proper due diligence. THis is what is REALLY lacking in every TFC offseason, having an infrastructure geared towards achievement by covering the bases and the basics.

Also, we need a starting center back. Doneil is not ready yet. Ideally, we need a technical midfielder as well who can take pressure off Osorio and free him up to play both inside and on the wing, partic. if we stick with the 442.
    This I agree with. However he's close. Problem is where else is going to get necessary minutes at this stage of his career?

I also think Ashtone Morgan needs to be upgraded. He is not going to improve at this point. Yes he's Canadian content, but I don't think the guy knows how to make a pass. 90 percent of his passes are hoofed to no mans land past the centre line. Not productive for creating any scoring chances.
    Last edited by mastermixer; 11-04-2013 at 03:12 PM.